1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2013 Purchased last week...Dealership calls me today and says...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ClayCrusher, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Oct 24, 2013 at 11:19 AM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    after all this you still gave them the $2000 and closed the deal?

You should have walked, my experience with car dealers (and I knew many a car salesman personally in my younger days) is the sales side is most apt to screw with you on financing and 'come back' financing offers...they want you to be so in love with the purchase you won't back out...

You should have backed out, I am assuming you are a youngin', I know how I felt when I was younger and found what I wanted, I blinded myself with the ownership, not realizing the best thing I could have done was WALK with my trade in and go somewhere else...youth sometimes rules the mind, unfortunately....

2. Oct 24, 2013 at 11:21 AM
    KB Voodoo

KB Voodoo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Glenwood, NY
    www.kbvoodoo.com
    That's all fine and dandy....but what were they going to do if you didn't have 2 grand sitting around? Take the truck back after you've driven it for two weeks????

Shoulda called their bluff....

3. Oct 24, 2013 at 11:31 AM
    matadorCE

matadorCE Well-Known Member

Member:
    Melbourne, FL
    Vehicle:
    '05 Prerunner Accesscab TRD Offroad
    You should have definitely given them the keys back and walked away, like many people suggested. But hopefully it's lesson learned for next time that it's always in your best interest to have financing already lined up before setting foot in the dealership.

4. Oct 24, 2013 at 11:59 AM
    jethro

jethro Master Baiter

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    2020 Ford F-150 Lariat 5.0L V8
    I don't understand how this can be legal. Obviously this is never done on a new truck? I mean, how can you even take delivery of a vehicle without having the loan in place and finalized? I've bought a half dozen cars from dealerships, some used and some new. Once you go in to pick up the vehicle it's a done deal... set in stone. Confused...

5. Oct 24, 2013 at 12:07 PM
    KB Voodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Glenwood, NY
    www.kbvoodoo.com
    The STEALERSHIP wins again.

6. Oct 24, 2013 at 12:10 PM
    xJuice

xJuice My spoon is too Big!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    19 Tundra MGM
    TRD Front & Rear Sway Bar, TRD Pro LED Headlights, Undercover SE, Rear diff. Relocate, console organizer, debadged, color matched handles, mirror caps, and grill
    How do you think you buy a car on the weekend or after hours when the banks are closed? The dealership does it's due diligence to make sure you're qualified, but then they won't run the true financials through the financing bank until the next business day.

7. Oct 24, 2013 at 12:10 PM
    richardbui23

richardbui23 That guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Arlington Texas
    Vehicle:
    Stacy
    they either a. try to get you to fall in love with the car to do what OP did or b. pre approve you based on what they know and have confidence that you'll be approved
    looks like it

8. Oct 24, 2013 at 12:12 PM
    KB Voodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Glenwood, NY
    www.kbvoodoo.com
    But that still doesn't explain how the OP took delivery, then drove the truck for two weeks.

This should have been FINALIZED before he ever had the keys in his hand.

Somebody dropped the ball here.

9. Oct 24, 2013 at 12:23 PM
    hawker25

hawker25 Well-Known Member

Member:
    colorado
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad
    Sorry but you just got took for 2 grand my friend. They let you have it on their research not yours. If it takes $2000 you should have told them its coming out of their profit not your pocket. If they don't like it then give you your trade back and see ya later. Tough tittty for them! They cant sell it to anybody as brand new with as many miles as you put on it in 2 weeks. I hope you learn a lesson about paying for other people mistakes due to being blinded by desire.

10. Oct 24, 2013 at 12:24 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    If you would like an answer, look at my earlier post that explains how the financing works, and has worked, for years and years. It is not unheard of for a bank or finance company to not get a full and finalized credit report and process it for a week or more. Yes, this is the information age and the internet works wonders, but still, you are talking about a finance company that may possibly process hundreds of applications a day. Each one at SOME point has to pass through a person's hands for final signature and approval, or in this case, a request for more substantial equity.

11. Oct 24, 2013 at 12:34 PM
    txgolfer45

txgolfer45 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD Off Road
    Dealerships will do a lot to close a deal. I went to a dealership on a Thursday. They had a 2013 Tacoma Doublecab TRD and the price was basically the same as a 2014. I told them to find me a 2014 then. They let me drive the 2013 at no cost other than gas until they located a 2014 for me. I put something like 300 miles on the 2013. Wednesday the next week, I returned the 2013 and picked up my 2014. Then, two days later, I finalized the loan papers with my bank for the truck loan. So, yes, I drove off the lot with my 2014 without the loan being funded yet.

12. Oct 24, 2013 at 12:47 PM
    TruKnight

TruKnight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tru
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    Autobot Mall Crawler
    read build thread
    dealing with the stealerships is more about psychology and less about finances. they are pro's at all the tricks, but you have to reign them in every step along the way or it will cost you. aside from that I cant add anything that the other guys haven't already warned you about im sure. =)

13. Oct 24, 2013 at 12:55 PM
    bldegle2

bldegle2 OldPhart

Member:
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner TRD AccessCab
    New Navigation DVD/CD/TV/AV/Bluetooth Stereo and seat mod spacers, 1" hubcentric spacers, seat heaters....
    BamaToy1997,

I enjoy your insight and your internal working knowledge of dealerships...invaluable...

I do take offense for you stanch beliefs that Car dealerships are, for the most part, honest and forthright with all their sales....as I mentioned in my previous post, I knew many a car salesperson back in the days (this when I worked for a bank), not one dealership in all the transactions I witnessed was as honest and forthright as you profess with every deal...granted, you may have been lucky to work for several that may have been very honest with their dealings, generally though,

THEY ALL HAVE THEIR WAYS TO CLOSE A DEAL, and for the most part, it is a fine line between the wants of the buyer and the push to get inventory out the door, normally it falls just short of fraud in some cases...

This buyer was taken advantage of pure and simple, and they sunk the hook real bad, like I said, young buyers just don't think properly when getting a new toy...

And, in this day and age, credit reports and just about everything else that can be brought into the sale is available 24/7, this includes weekends and evenings, the whole situation stinks...

OK, I am done...

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  14. Oct 24, 2013 at 1:08 PM
    DirtEater

DirtEater Well-Known Member

Member:
    Surprise, AZ
    While it may seem that something aint quite right, the guy said the $2000 went towards his down payment. If that's the case, another contract would have been drawn up and his monthly payment should be less than the original payment. Now you can begin building solid credit, providing you always make your payments on time.

15. Oct 24, 2013 at 1:12 PM
    ClayCrusher

ClayCrusher [OP] Texas Transplant Taco

Member:
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Vehicle:
    13 DCLB MGM
    5100, OME 886 deaver 2" AAL, 1.5" Block Peacemaker deluxe front bumper, 20" led bar, sPOD with custom switches, 285/70/17 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracks, Procomp 7033

Harsh. I'm not blinded at all. I'd gladly give the truck back and get it somewhere else. The 2k extra did cut my monthly payments back by about 50/month. That's how it all made sense. I just hate how this entire system works

16. Oct 24, 2013 at 1:24 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon Musk Moderator

Member:
    Same thing happened to a buddy of mine...they already sold his trade in, so he ended up walking with the new vehicle, and they took off a few grand, added a free maintenance plan etc.

17. Oct 24, 2013 at 1:25 PM
    KB Voodoo

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Glenwood, NY
    www.kbvoodoo.com
    Yeah, I mean, OP had a signed contract. Hard ball could have been played, and the stealer would have paid (that rhymes...).

18. Oct 24, 2013 at 1:45 PM
    GoHuskers

GoHuskers Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2012 White DCLB TRD Sport
    So you gave them $2k more as down payment and your monthly payment is $50 LESS. I'D CALL that good and move on.

The OP is college graduate so he absolutely knows what he's doubt.

19. Oct 24, 2013 at 1:57 PM
    matadorCE

matadorCE Well-Known Member

Member:
    Melbourne, FL
    Vehicle:
    '05 Prerunner Accesscab TRD Offroad
    Agreed but also in this day and age people sometimes don't help themselves by getting informed and being prepared. A good number of people don't know how to buy a car even though there are tons of resources that offer helpful info, hence why dealers can pull crap like this and fleece people out of their hard-earned money.

20. Oct 24, 2013 at 2:07 PM
    Sciomar

Sciomar Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Washington
    Vehicle:
    13 MGM TRD Sport DCLB
    3" Procomp coilover lift Matt's TRD skid plate
    Same thing happened to me, I was ready with pre-approval from my credit union and prepared to hear them say 5.9% when the lady offered 1.9!

Products Discussed in

To Top