Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bugflector / Hood Protector - yeh or neh?

View Poll Results: Bugflector / Hood Protector - yeh or neh?
Yes, looks good 491 45.00%
No, ditch it 600 55.00%
Voters: 1091. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-13-2009, 01:14 PM   #21
WNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
WNYTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by harris.jasonm View Post
I don't know if Toyota has a couple different modals of bug shield or some dealers are selling non Toyota ones because mine is stamped Toyota on the bottom and uses no hooks tape or anything. The one I have does not cause any damage, just some inserts and screws on the inside of the hood.
Yeah, i don't know other than what you state here and the guy states in the following (after yours) post.

The one i saw in the dealers lot (with maybe 5 clips resting against the hood top with a thin plastic adhsive buffer) was on a brand new 08 or 09. I saw it when i was scouting out a replacement for 2000 that was pending frame buy back.

...don't know it its is one they just started using this year or if they have multiple styles available.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:17 PM   #22
TX
TEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTEX357 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
TEX357's Tacoma Gallery
IMO it looks ugly
Old 08-28-2009, 01:17 AM   #23
mr.ernst is on a distinguished road
Army: Information Systems Analyst
mr.ernst's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone successfully taken off a bug shield and transferred it to another truck? I'm looking to swap my hood and the hood I'm getting has the bug shield but I don't want it. The guy getting my hood wants a bug shield on his truck still, so he's trying to have me buy him a new bug shield. If I can just swap it without issue then I won't need to buy a new one.

Whats the OEM shield attached with? Adhesive or does it screw on?
Old 08-28-2009, 04:34 AM   #24
grivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shedgrivera is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
grivera's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.ernst View Post
Has anyone successfully taken off a bug shield and transferred it to another truck? I'm looking to swap my hood and the hood I'm getting has the bug shield but I don't want it. The guy getting my hood wants a bug shield on his truck still, so he's trying to have me buy him a new bug shield. If I can just swap it without issue then I won't need to buy a new one.

Whats the OEM shield attached with? Adhesive or does it screw on?
It's screwed on. The guy with the protector/shield should know that...
Old 08-28-2009, 04:43 AM   #25
Thanks, apparently its his dad's truck that he's making the deal for the hood swap, and he doesn't live around him. So he's trying to round up information until he can get to the truck. I was just trying to speed up the process and round up some information to see if I want to proceed with the swap.

It was just kind of an impulse decision, and so if I was going to have to pay to buy him a new bug deflector I would have to weigh the pros and cons of making the trade. He's already said he dad only wants the hood swapped by a dealership to ensure it aligns correctly, so I'm sure I'll be paying for part or all of that to happen (which I'm ok with as long as they don't try to rape me on labor costs).
Old 08-28-2009, 05:53 AM   #26
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Veccster's Tacoma Gallery
Why are you swapping?

Dealership will probably charge $100 in labor to swap it out.

You can see in this picture there are 5 points where it attaches.

The aftermarket bugflectors that wrap around under the front of the hood are screwed on.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:24 AM   #27
His dad has the hood scoop and wants the regular hood, and I wouldn't mind having the hood scoop just for aesthetics.

Does it screw into predrilled holes under the hood? Sorry for so many questions, I've got nothing else to do with my time and don't have access to my truck.

I'm trying to convince him we can do the swap ourselves, but for $100 I might let the dealership do his, and I'll just do mine in the dealership parking lot. I don't believe in paying for things that can be done myself, regardless of how white trash I might look in the dealership parking lot putting on a hood.
Old 08-28-2009, 06:44 AM   #28
" The Master Ninja"
Death_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeath_Stalker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Talha
Death_Stalker's Tacoma Gallery
i might be willing to buy one of you guys who dont like it and had one at one point i like it and have a plan to buy one of those bug deflectors so anyone willing to make some extra bucks let me knoww.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:10 AM   #29
Lets Go State!
PSUnick is a splendid one to beholdPSUnick is a splendid one to beholdPSUnick is a splendid one to beholdPSUnick is a splendid one to beholdPSUnick is a splendid one to beholdPSUnick is a splendid one to beholdPSUnick is a splendid one to behold

PSUnick's Tacoma Gallery
The OEM bug deflector has clips (the posts referred to earlier) that screw into the deflector itself, and then use plastic push clips with screw centers to attach to the underneath of the hood. The holes in the hood are already there, no drilling. Also, there is clear tape (some suggest its mylar tape) on the hood, underneath the clip, to help prevent the deflector from chipping the hood. This tape is not effective, at least not for deflectors installed for a long period of time. My deflector that was installed for 2 years caused three hood chips, one on the rightmost clip, one on the leftmost clip, and one on the second clip in from the left.

These plastic push clips are a pain to remove; I used a set a Snap-On pick tools and a trim remover tool to do so. If swapping the deflector, you may want to invest in new push clips from the dealer.

Before:

Chip From OEM Deflector:

After:

Old 08-28-2009, 07:17 AM   #30
Alright so we should be able to just swap it, just want to look into the OEM clips from the dealer (I'm almost 99.9% certain he said it's an OEM bug shield).

I think the truck is fairly new, so hopefully there won't be any chips on the hood yet. He's supposed to take some pics of it next weekend. If it's screwed on, I'll probably just have him go ahead and plan to remove it, and I'll compensate him for his time, instead of buying a new one.

Thanks guys. This is my first Tacoma, and I bought it the day before I deployed, then I stumbled upon this site, and have spent the last 9 months doing nothing but making plans for when I get home. Hopefully everything works out alright, and next I'll move on to suspension and wheels.
Old 08-28-2009, 09:26 AM   #32
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by talhas001 View Post
i might be willing to buy one of you guys who dont like it and had one at one point i like it and have a plan to buy one of those bug deflectors so anyone willing to make some extra bucks let me knoww.
If I could figure out how to pack it up and mail it, I'd sell it to you. It's sitting on a shelf in my garage. I like my truck without it.

WITH:

WITHOUT:
Old 08-28-2009, 09:31 AM   #33
Begin With The End In Mind.
carmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: KEVIN
carmellocafe's Tacoma Gallery
I've got the Toyota one and am happy with it. Everyone has said that the mounting brackets will ruin the paint, but I don't intend on taking it off. It protects the hood from chips so it's doing it's job. The only way there would be any visible damage from the clips is if I removed it and I don't see the point in that--I wouldn't have had the dealership install it if I didn't like the looks of it. As for bugs, it basically just shoots them right into the windshield at about eye level.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:45 AM   #34
bass turds

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmellocafe View Post
As for bugs, it basically just shoots them right into the windshield at about eye level.
Mine does that without the bugflector. I am headed on a long trip next month and considered reinstalling it to eliminate that problem. I guess it wouldn't have an effect.

I have never owned a vehicle that gets as many bug splats as this one.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:25 PM   #35
Begin With The End In Mind.
carmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shedcarmellocafe is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: KEVIN
carmellocafe's Tacoma Gallery
Yep, as far as these being referred to as "Bug Deflectors," They really are more of a "Hood Protector." Almost all of the deflectors my family and I have owned have never been effective at actually diverting bugs up over the cab. I just use them because I appreciate the "look."
Old 09-02-2009, 10:37 AM   #38
Senior Arshole
aces2 is a glorious beacon of lightaces2 is a glorious beacon of lightaces2 is a glorious beacon of lightaces2 is a glorious beacon of lightaces2 is a glorious beacon of lightaces2 is a glorious beacon of light

Air Force: Egress Dude
Name: Cody
aces2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUnick View Post
The OEM bug deflector has clips (the posts referred to earlier) that screw into the deflector itself, and then use plastic push clips with screw centers to attach to the underneath of the hood. The holes in the hood are already there, no drilling. Also, there is clear tape (some suggest its mylar tape) on the hood, underneath the clip, to help prevent the deflector from chipping the hood. This tape is not effective, at least not for deflectors installed for a long period of time. My deflector that was installed for 2 years caused three hood chips, one on the rightmost clip, one on the leftmost clip, and one on the second clip in from the left.

These plastic push clips are a pain to remove; I used a set a Snap-On pick tools and a trim remover tool to do so. If swapping the deflector, you may want to invest in new push clips from the dealer.
Same shit happened to me on my Rad Red. I was lucky enough to catch it within a year of me installing it and convinced Toyota that they installed it so the 12 month "aftermarket dealer installed warranty" covered the repainting of my whole hood.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:38 AM   #39
Viet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shedViet2100 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Viet
Viet2100's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to Viet2100
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmellocafe View Post
I've got the Toyota one and am happy with it. Everyone has said that the mounting brackets will ruin the paint, but I don't intend on taking it off. It protects the hood from chips so it's doing it's job. The only way there would be any visible damage from the clips is if I removed it and I don't see the point in that--I wouldn't have had the dealership install it if I didn't like the looks of it. As for bugs, it basically just shoots them right into the windshield at about eye level.
You don't have to remove it to notice that it's damaging your hood. It's the thought inside your head knowing that your hood is rusting.

Anyways, on top of it damaging your paint, it looks like a uni brow
Old 09-02-2009, 12:39 PM   #40
10silvertaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Brent
10silvertaco's Tacoma Gallery
I have hood protector from Toyota. Thought it looks good and used to have one on my old trailblazer. Within six to eight months from now, I will check on the paint and etc before 12th month warranty from toyota.