Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bugflector / Hood Protector - yeh or neh?

View Poll Results: Bugflector / Hood Protector - yeh or neh?
Yes, looks good 491 45.00%
No, ditch it 600 55.00%
Voters: 1091. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-23-2013, 06:22 AM   #161
tacotruck 2.7 is on a distinguished road

tacotruck 2.7's Tacoma Gallery
missing the bigger picture re; bug flector

forget how it looks it offers some protection for da hood and most of your windshield. condoms dont look cool niether but most times theyll keep u out of the doctors office. scratch scratch.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:29 AM   #162
ORTaco09 is on a distinguished road
Marines:
ORTaco09's Tacoma Gallery
Mine came with the truck. Seems to work. I don't think it looks bad either. I kind of like it.
Attached Thumbnails
Bugflector / Hood Protector  -  yeh or neh?-img_2610.jpg  
Old 03-28-2013, 11:59 AM   #163
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORTaco09 View Post
Mine came with the truck. Seems to work. I don't think it looks bad either. I kind of like it.
Never mind that, I like the bumper that came with the truck, and the color, and yeah the deflector too. Nice.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:04 AM   #164
ORTaco09 is on a distinguished road
Marines:
ORTaco09's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
Never mind that, I like the bumper that came with the truck, and the color, and yeah the deflector too. Nice.
Thanks. Yeah the bumper works good too......bugs just don't stand a chance.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:05 PM   #165
asuchemist has much to be proud ofasuchemist has much to be proud ofasuchemist has much to be proud ofasuchemist has much to be proud ofasuchemist has much to be proud ofasuchemist has much to be proud ofasuchemist has much to be proud ofasuchemist has much to be proud of
asuchemist's Tacoma Gallery
Took mine off...made it look like an old man's truck. hood lines look best naked. The deflector is just for show just like the hood scoop!
Old 03-30-2013, 09:21 PM   #166
THE OLD TACO721 with a new name.
TnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTnRedNeck721 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Zach
TnRedNeck721's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcorehehaw View Post
I voted no cause I hate those things.

If you're concerned about bugs, look into a clear bra. It's basically like clear window tint that covers the front bumper and front of the hood. You can't see it from 5 feet away and you can just hose bugs right off of it.
I live in Florida and we're coming up on love bug season and those suckers start to eat your paint if they're on there for more than a week.
Definitely a good investment IMO.

Here's a pic of my truck with it, like I said you can't see it.
Using photoshop I put a red line about where it sits.
X2 clear bra is much nicer! I have some pic in my build of it n mine. I take my tire brush to clean the bugs off of it. also it covers the bumper and the little trim under the head lights. Also if you have color matched grill or mirrors they cover them as well.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:29 PM   #167
toyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
toyotatacomaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
I can tell this is an old thread, but i'll throw in my two cents.

I had a bug shield on for 3 years, and have had it off for about 3 years. I noticed zero difference between having it on and having it off. I wouldn't use one again. My hood looks terrible where the clips used to be. Not a fan. Not sure how they continue to sell these things...
Old 04-03-2013, 03:27 AM   #168
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Installed like shit will cause shit.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:58 AM   #169
toyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoyotatacomaTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
toyotatacomaTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by T@co_Pr3runn3r View Post
Installed like shit will cause shit.
Not in my case. It was installed correctly but the rubber pads to protect the hood wore out over time...
Old 04-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #170
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

on the 05 whoever installed it just used the clear stick on tape looking things but on the 08 I used strips of bicycle tubes and seems much more sturdy than the one on the 05. It doesn't move even on frwy but I will have to keep eye on it I guess but it is staying. I got a coupla chips on the 08 windshield before putting it on and never had chip on the 05. Could just be coincidence but good enough reason for me. Looks much more out of place on a street truck like xrunner than on prerunner or 4x4 IMO.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:38 AM   #171
mattmyster is on a distinguished road

Name: matt
mattmyster's Tacoma Gallery
reinforce the plastic pieces before installing the hood deflector the good two way tape...saves the hood paint, thats what i did
Old 04-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #172
Deercamp has a spectacular aura aboutDeercamp has a spectacular aura about

Law Enforcement: Investigator
Name: Doug
Deercamp's Tacoma Gallery
Had them in past, no longer - example of effective marketing, sort of like the snake oil salesman - went through 2 (4Runner and Sierra) before I realized they were useless appendage- if you like the looks fine, buy one and look at it.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #173
ee1284 is on a distinguished road
ee1284's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNYTACOMA View Post
Regardless of the name 'bugshield', protecting the front of the hood from chips is the purpose for me, and it definitely makes a difference here.
This is the reason I kept mine as well.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:10 PM   #174
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deercamp View Post
Had them in past, no longer - example of effective marketing, sort of like the snake oil salesman - went through 2 (4Runner and Sierra) before I realized they were useless appendage- if you like the looks fine, buy one and look at it.

same argument as insurance... didn't seem to use it... so it's a waste of money. problem is, you don't know that it didn't help since you did have it on - meaning it could have deflected some debris over time that would've caused damage.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:15 AM   #175
Deercamp has a spectacular aura aboutDeercamp has a spectacular aura about

Law Enforcement: Investigator
Name: Doug
Deercamp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodygg View Post
same argument as insurance... didn't seem to use it... so it's a waste of money. problem is, you don't know that it didn't help since you did have it on - meaning it could have deflected some debris over time that would've caused damage.

Perhaps; however have owned 4 4Runners since 1985, bug shield installed on my 3rd (1998 model). Didn't notice any difference in bug splatter/pebble damage, however did notice that area under shield tends to collect debris and more difficult to clean/wax. (Vehicle parked outside - leaves, acorns and pine needles tended to get trapped under deflector). Averaged 100,000 plus mileage on each 4Runner under basically same driving conditions (highway and timber company logging roads). Based on previous comments here, if I was concerned about bugs/pebbles, the clear plastic bra appears to be the way to go. Too bad an outfit like Consumer Reports hasn't done an objective evaluation on the effectiveness of the various hood deflectors.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:33 PM   #176
woodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shedwoodygg is one of the sharper tools in the shed
woodygg's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deercamp View Post
Perhaps; however have owned 4 4Runners since 1985, bug shield installed on my 3rd (1998 model). Didn't notice any difference in bug splatter/pebble damage, however did notice that area under shield tends to collect debris and more difficult to clean/wax. (Vehicle parked outside - leaves, acorns and pine needles tended to get trapped under deflector). Averaged 100,000 plus mileage on each 4Runner under basically same driving conditions (highway and timber company logging roads). Based on previous comments here, if I was concerned about bugs/pebbles, the clear plastic bra appears to be the way to go. Too bad an outfit like Consumer Reports hasn't done an objective evaluation on the effectiveness of the various hood deflectors.
I think there's many variables - IF I did a lot of freeway driving where there was a of debris, i'd be more inclined to have one. I have one on my 1st gen - there's no issues with rubbing, etc., but I also park inside so I don't stuff falling on my truck and rolling underneath it. to me it's irrelevant (to a point of course) how it looks (the poll was poorly written) - it's a matter of functionality. if it works, i'm in. if not, waste of money. it may be one of those things we never find out for sure - but better to have it and have it not work than the other way around.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:47 PM   #177
907Feuerwehr is on a distinguished road

Firefighter: EMT:firefighter
Name: Connor
907Feuerwehr's Tacoma Gallery
I like how they look with the correct setup, for example with a roof rack, camper shell, black sidesteps etc, they flow nice that way.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:26 PM   #178
User 'n at
slvrbullet13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslvrbullet13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslvrbullet13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslvrbullet13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslvrbullet13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslvrbullet13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslvrbullet13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslvrbullet13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslvrbullet13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslvrbullet13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedslvrbullet13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: JD
slvrbullet13's Tacoma Gallery
Just an FYI...

I bought my taco in November '12 and put a factory bug guard on myself a couple weeks after. I put the 3M strips in place and made sure the brackets fit snug and secure.

After reading this post as well as others, I decided I'll just run it in the wintertime to help with the salt, road debris, etc. I removed it about a week ago and immediately threw it in the trash. The tabs, after only being on the vehicle 5 months almost wore through the strips into the hood.

Very disappointed and decided it looks great without.

P.S.
RIP George Jones, I will continue to always play "Finally Friday" at the end of the work week.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:48 PM   #179
FATPUBUS has a spectacular aura aboutFATPUBUS has a spectacular aura about
FATPUBUS's Tacoma Gallery
Nah, tacky
Old 04-27-2013, 12:03 PM   #180
El Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Chip is one of the sharper tools in the shed
El Chip's Tacoma Gallery
x3 on Clearshield or whatever it is called. I think the clear laminate product is made by 3M.

I had it on my civic, and had numerous rubs and marks on it from where it took hits, including one big rub on the bottom where I had rubbed against a cement barrier, and when I pulled it off, all the marks were gone and the car looked like new, not a scratch.