Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bugflector / Hood Protector - yeh or neh?

View Poll Results: Bugflector / Hood Protector - yeh or neh?
Yes, looks good 491 45.00%
No, ditch it 600 55.00%
Voters: 1091. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-12-2009, 06:34 AM   #1
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Veccster's Tacoma Gallery
Bugflector / Hood Protector - yeh or neh?

On sport hood, do you like the hood protector or not?

I do have the window rain guards as well and they are here to stay. Not on in the picture.

Are they effective in deflecting crap over the windshield?

I removed the Toyota OEM shield because of the possible damage to the paint. I am debating if I should buy another one that attaches under the hood or leave the Taco beauty in it's natural form.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:37 AM   #3
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OK, so half like it...the other half does not.

As I figured before posting the poll, it'll come down to personal opinion.

I was hoping for a bit more info on their actual functionality.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:30 AM   #4
Your mom goes to college
dwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the sheddwalden2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derick
dwalden2's Tacoma Gallery
I don't have any evidence without the bug-flector because mine was on when I got the truck. I still have rocks hit my windshield. Most bugs and things like that tend to hit on the upper half of the windshield, which happens to usually be about eye level.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:36 AM   #5
╒╪╕
MyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyToyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
MyToyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to MyToyTaco
I took mine off a couple months after having my truck, i didnt notice an increase in bug guts on my windshield.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:54 AM   #6
1 man wolf pack
Hardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Evan
Hardcorehehaw's Tacoma Gallery
I voted no cause I hate those things.

If you're concerned about bugs, look into a clear bra. It's basically like clear window tint that covers the front bumper and front of the hood. You can't see it from 5 feet away and you can just hose bugs right off of it.
I live in Florida and we're coming up on love bug season and those suckers start to eat your paint if they're on there for more than a week.
Definitely a good investment IMO.

Here's a pic of my truck with it, like I said you can't see it.
Using photoshop I put a red line about where it sits.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:24 AM   #7
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Not ever been crazy bout those things but I'm leavin it on my truck because it adds a bit more black trim & I just gotta believe as soon as I take it off the windshield would get hit 7 the front edge of the silver hood would start showing chips. Same thing for my black bumper, like it because it's not gonna show rock chips.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:09 PM   #8
WNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
WNYTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Regardless of the name 'bugshield', protecting the front of the hood from chips is the purpose for me, and it definitely makes a difference here.

I have friends with vans and trucks and without shields and they get chipped up in the front hood area big time. Not good with the salt use here. Chips equal rust if not treated, and touched up chips look like crap when enough of them accumulate.

We have far too many dump trucks and gravel pits in my area to not protect the vehicle where able. Stuffs always kicking up, especially when you get within 50 yards of some imbecile without mudflaps.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:15 PM   #9
There go my nipples again!
Dilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shedDilsky is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Shawn
Dilsky's Tacoma Gallery
I have just a clear film (3M protectant) same as hardcorehehaw and I love it. It is barley visable unless you look closely and adsorbs small rocks to avoid paint chipping!
Old 03-12-2009, 04:08 PM   #10
pataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud ofpataco has much to be proud of
pataco's Tacoma Gallery
i have the factory toy one and WAS going to take it off but the mounting tabs took the paint OFF.looks like shit,just touched them up and painted the sheild flat black and put back on.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:01 PM   #11
WNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shedWNYTACOMA is one of the sharper tools in the shed
WNYTACOMA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pataco View Post
i have the factory toy one and WAS going to take it off but the mounting tabs took the paint OFF.looks like shit,just touched them up and painted the sheild flat black and put back on.
Yeah, i am shocked that someone from Toyota could not anticipate the OE shield 'design' would cause damage to the top of the hood.

That was my first thought and i said as much to the salesman when i saw one of those pieces of $#!t on a truck at the first dealership i visited. A firm grasp of the obvious was all it took to predict that clip 'system' was problematic.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:36 PM   #12
gdctaco is on a distinguished road
gdctaco's Tacoma Gallery
dont get it
Old 03-12-2009, 08:14 PM   #13
2009tacomav6 is just really nice2009tacomav6 is just really nice2009tacomav6 is just really nice2009tacomav6 is just really nice
Navy:
2009tacomav6's Tacoma Gallery
ditch it

Get the clear paint guard
Old 03-13-2009, 04:57 AM   #14
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Before:

After: I now actually have a clear guard but not in this picture.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:12 AM   #15
Simon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon2150 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Simon2150's Tacoma Gallery
I'm totally diggin' your truck wwfirefighter! Nice!!!
Old 03-13-2009, 05:21 AM   #16
Joe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to behold
Joe B's Tacoma Gallery
I feel bug shields look like crap.
Maybe a bit less on black.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:23 AM   #17
JJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shedJJ Customs is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt (Advisor Instructor 0311)
Name: Jay
JJ Customs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNYTACOMA View Post
Yeah, i am shocked that someone from Toyota could not anticipate the OE shield 'design' would cause damage to the top of the hood.

That was my first thought and i said as much to the salesman when i saw one of those pieces of $#!t on a truck at the first dealership i visited. A firm grasp of the obvious was all it took to predict that clip 'system' was problematic.
I don't know if Toyota has a couple different modals of bug shield or some dealers are selling non Toyota ones because mine is stamped Toyota on the bottom and uses no hooks tape or anything. The one I have does not cause any damage, just some inserts and screws on the inside of the hood.
Attached Thumbnails
Bugflector / Hood Protector  -  yeh or neh?-sport-hood-1.jpg  
Old 03-13-2009, 08:54 AM   #18
bass turds

My 09 has the bug shield with Toyota stamped on the driver side and it attaches directly to the hood. Honestly, I like the look better than the under-hood versions but was concerned about anything being stuck on my paint.

Here is the view from the front. You can see how it sticks up off the hood but has pillars the touch the paint.

I think I am going to keep it off for now. Regarding hood protection, I'll deal with that come winter again. Around here, they usually run out of salt and start using sulfur and rock chips on the roads. Getting pelted with that while doing 60+mph makes me cringe!
Old 03-13-2009, 12:13 PM   #19
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
I got the Aerowrap and I love it. I prefer the clean look of not having one, but I've noticed a decrease in the amount of crap that hits my hook and windshield. That and the paint is so thin rock chips are far too easy to get.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:30 PM   #20
SMSgt / 2W091
El Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shedEl Diablo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: IYAAYAS
Name: Beelzebub
El Diablo's Tacoma Gallery
Missileman's

Before

After

And after chrome grill insert

I must say, I think Missileman's Tacoma is BadAss!