Notices

Head Rest Issues

Old 10-27-2013, 05:49 AM   #1
Nip it in the bud!
12PM4X4OR is on a distinguished road

Name: Fife
12PM4X4OR's Tacoma Gallery
Head Rest Issues

The headrests on the back seats of my truck are difficult to remove. My last episode caused one of the keepers to break. Can anyone tell me if these plastic keepers or guides are covered under warranty?

Also, is anyone else having issues with this same problem and if so what have you done to alleviate the problem? Standard silicone lubricant maybe?

FWIW; when we were looking at these trucks the sales guy couldn't remove them. His excuse was because the truck was new. Mine is a 2012 and they're still hell to remove.

Thanks!
Old 10-27-2013, 06:28 AM   #2
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
Why do you even need to remove them? They fold down out of the way. Never even crossed my mind to take them out.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:10 AM   #3
Nip it in the bud!

What? I would think you would know why given you have the DC...rear cargo platform maybe?
Old 10-27-2013, 07:15 AM   #4
Negative Ghostrider
JdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Josh
JdevTac's Tacoma Gallery
I have mine removed all the time since I rarely have rear passengers and always have the seats folded down for cargo. They are stubborn to remove but I haven't had one of the plastic prices break yet. Make sure you have the headrest 100% vertical while pressing in the tab to remove...that's usually my best method to slide them out. It works well most of the time. It definitely takes finesse to get them out smoothly.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:33 AM   #5
Nip it in the bud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JdevTac View Post
I have mine removed all the time since I rarely have rear passengers and always have the seats folded down for cargo. They are stubborn to remove but I haven't had one of the plastic prices break yet. Make sure you have the headrest 100% vertical while pressing in the tab to remove...that's usually my best method to slide them out. It works well most of the time. It definitely takes finesse to get them out smoothly.
I've tried just about everything you've mentioned which worked most of the time. But even then it took quite a bit of umf to remove. Problem is as I get older that umf turns to mush . Especially at that awkward angle. They just shouldn't be that tuff to remove.

Any ideas about warranty? At any rate I plan to take it the dealership to see what they have to say. Just wanted to be prepared in case someone else had warranty work done for this.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:44 AM   #6
crsexmex is a jewel in the roughcrsexmex is a jewel in the roughcrsexmex is a jewel in the roughcrsexmex is a jewel in the rough
Air Force: HOG HOTLINE
Name: Vinny
crsexmex's Tacoma Gallery
I have had the exact problem with my rear headrests. My 2010 was nowhere near as difficult to take out. Now I have a plastic retainer broken and figured I would just live with it thinking it was me. I wonder how much it would cost for a replacement retainer if Toyota doesn't cover it.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:46 AM   #7
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
I would think a piece like that would be considered wear and tear but it never hurts to ask. Worst they can do is say no.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:29 AM   #8
Nip it in the bud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjboucher View Post
I would think a piece like that would be considered wear and tear but it never hurts to ask. Worst they can do is say no.
Wow, wear & tear after only 2 years? I've heard of keep America moving but that's ridicules. Especially when its a design flaw which is obviously the case when T's own sales folks can't remove them to illustrate how the platform cargo transforms.

Does this feature not come with your Texas edition? If it does give it a go and you'll know what I'm talking about.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:35 AM   #9
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
In my 2010 they are pretty tight and hard to remove. I've only done it a couple times. I'm sure some type of lubricant wouldn't hurt.

As far as it being covered, I kinda of doubt it. It's worth a shot to try though. Maybe they would be nice enough to just give you the part and you could replace yourself.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:01 AM   #10
Nip it in the bud!

Thanks Dave.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:07 AM   #11
FATaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFATaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFATaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFATaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFATaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFATaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFATaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFATaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFATaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFATaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedFATaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Artillery! Boom
Name: Friends call me Ginger
FATaco's Tacoma Gallery
Removed mine after owning the truck for about 6 months and tossed them in the trash. Easy fix.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:31 AM   #12
Nip it in the bud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATaco View Post
Removed mine after owning the truck for about 6 months and tossed them in the trash. Easy fix.
Hmmm, a bit drastic but I am assuming they were hard for you to remove also?
Old 10-29-2013, 05:28 AM   #13
Konvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shedKonvict KROG is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 31b and 29e
Name: Landry
Konvict KROG's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FATaco View Post

thats good. my 2012 rear headrests sucked as well so they stayed in the trailer box.

now i have a 2013 access cab and the stupid giant flappy rear headrest are just in the way..
Old 10-29-2013, 10:56 PM   #14
Dragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
Dragons Taco's Tacoma Gallery
My 2006 rests come right out. Maybe a dremmel tool and a sanding drum to clean out the insides of the holes.

As far as a replacement, glue it together, then tell the dealer you can't remove them. If & when it comes apart , they will have to fix you up.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:39 AM   #15
Nip it in the bud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragons Taco View Post
As far as a replacement, glue it together, then tell the dealer you can't remove them. If & when it comes apart , they will have to fix you up.
Now we're getting somewhere.
Old 11-18-2013, 10:58 AM   #16
Dragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shedDragons Taco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
Dragons Taco's Tacoma Gallery
So, what happened?
Old 11-18-2013, 07:47 PM   #17
Nip it in the bud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragons Taco View Post
So, what happened?
Finally took the truck in to get it serviced, check the windshield, & of course have the headrest looked at. All is good...not only is Toyota going to repair the left headrest guides but also the right side guides as well. According to the techs both are very difficult to remove and both should be replaced.

The windshield issue dealt with the base molding of the windshield coming apart. Toyota will repair this as well. Both covered under warranty. All the more reason to love these trucks!
Old 11-18-2013, 07:51 PM   #18
Gear Jammer
Brodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrodie is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brodie's Tacoma Gallery
I took some cleaner wax and waxed up the posts, they slip in and out pretty easy now.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:53 PM   #19
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12PM4X4OR View Post
Finally took the truck in to get it serviced, check the windshield, & of course have the headrest looked at. All is good...not only is Toyota going to repair the left headrest guides but also the right side guides as well. According to the techs both are very difficult to remove and both should be replaced.

The windshield issue dealt with the base molding of the windshield coming apart. Toyota will repair this as well. Both covered under warranty. All the more reason to love these trucks!
Nice!
Old 11-18-2013, 08:00 PM   #20
gearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: training officer
Name: TW certified keyboard mechanic
gearcruncher's Tacoma Gallery
I have to remove mine if I plan to fold the seats down in the dblc . If I dont remove the headrests , i am scrunched against the front window when I drive . I have a 2010 . They come out easy . I suggest shining a flashlight down the holes . Doesnt sound like your retraction clip is moving all the way out when you are trying to remove the head rest .