1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

"Limited" edition for Tacomas?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by AR15xAR10, Oct 28, 2013.

?

What is your opinion on the Limited Tacoma?

1. I like it!

70 vote(s)
    17.9%
  2. I hate it!

45 vote(s)
    11.5%
  3. Too flashy for me.

112 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. I wish i had one.

13 vote(s)
    3.3%
  5. Who cares about a limited, chromed out tacoma?!

151 vote(s)
    38.6%
  1. Nov 24, 2013 at 8:01 PM
    Skeet1420

Skeet1420 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Limited
    Yes I'm 60 and I got a 2013 in Spruce Mica. I really like the truck and don't plan on doing much on upgrades. I put a Leer topper and bedrug in it. I like much better then I did my FJ which I had a 6" lift and several other mods. I like being stock for a change.

2. Nov 24, 2013 at 8:18 PM
    Skeet1420

Skeet1420 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Limited
    Well.... I did do one other thing to it. After reading all the spring trouble here and even though I have 4 springs and it didn't sag with my atv and trailer I did have them install a set of super springs when the topper went on.

3. Nov 24, 2013 at 8:29 PM
    Skeet1420

Skeet1420 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma Limited
    DoorDing thank you for the welcome also.
    I guess the one thing I don't like are the clad wheels. I would like something else and I plan on upgrading the tires as I just have no luck with the 4 plys I guess that what they are. I want to stay with a size that doesn't hurt the mileage. The FJ was a killer on gas.

4. Nov 24, 2013 at 9:15 PM
    AR15xAR10

AR15xAR10 [OP] AR10 is 5 ARs better

Member:
    Triangle of 26726, 21532, 21502
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4x4 V6 IndigoInkPearl ACLBFTMFW
    Please refer to build (click signature picture)
    Weak leafs? You haven't lived until you've put over a ton (maybe more like a ton and a half) of dirt in the bed on stock leafs....they were so conpressed that the bump stops were smashed. Every bump was an adventure...that was an interesting day to say the least. Lol i know it was a bad idea.

Tractorman likes this.
  5. Nov 24, 2013 at 9:46 PM
    AR15xAR10

Member:
    Vehicle:
    :ohsnap: Nice! See, you knew you could do that back then....i wasn't sure how the tacoma would handle it. It was a TRD off road thankfully, i'd never do that eith my stock sr5 base model.

Tractorman likes this.
  6. Dec 13, 2013 at 8:13 PM
    newtacomaowner13

newtacomaowner13 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    emsmedic
    Durham , NC
    Vehicle:
    13 Tacoma Limited Long Bed
    Procomp 3" Lift Nfab Nerf Bars
    I purchased my first Tacoma two months ago and its a 2013 Limited long bed. Yes, it's more expensive then most of the other Tacoma models but I just didn't want a base truck. I originally wanted a TRD but the suspension rides so much better in the Limited and I won't be doing much off road driving. I'm very happy with my decision.

7. Dec 14, 2013 at 5:04 AM
    Vantage

Vantage Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Vancouver BC
    Vehicle:
    2015 Titan Pro 4x
    Correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't the limited use the same coils and shocks as the sr5 or TRD?

No where in the package does it list different suspension. No other "limited" Toyota model gets different suspension.

8. Dec 14, 2013 at 8:53 AM
    AR15xAR10

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I'm prett sure the limited has the same suspension as my base sr5. Where as the TRDs have billys

Tractorman likes this.
  9. Dec 14, 2013 at 9:56 AM
    keninsb

keninsb "Senior", Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    I have a 2013 LTD and yes, it looks to me like the shocks/coils are the same as base models. The truck rides smoother than the TRD Off Road models because the shock and springs are not as "heavy duty". The fact that it is a long bed with longer wheel base helps smooth the ride too, but again you can get that in a base model (or at least not a LTD). I specifically asked when I purchased the truck if it had the TRD Off Road shocks and was told by one of the five salesmen I dealt with that it DID have the TRD OR shocks only to find out later that it did not. I should have been more attentive and looked underneath to see for myself. The TRD shocks are yellow and the base model shocks are black.
    Ken

10. Dec 15, 2013 at 6:24 AM
    sdsyver

sdsyver Well-Known Member

Member:
    I have a 2013 Limited as well. No fancy chrome wheels though. The dealer had a bunch of work done to truck before they put it in show room. That included loosing the chrome wheels and putting on their off-road wheel in bronze. Much happier with the appearance. I'm not a big chrome fan. As far as all the other features go I am pleased with the truck. Heated seats are very nice, great sound system.

I am now trying to decide if I should put in air bags or heavier leaf pack. There is not a lot of serious off-roading in our area that does not involve huge amounts of mud but the truck is used as a truck. Gathering firewood, towing tent trailer, hunting, fishing etc. Likely go airbags with cradles.

Sorry way off topic. I like my Limited a lot. Glad I don't have the chrome wheels. Does what I expect it to do.

11. Dec 15, 2013 at 10:55 AM
    keninsb

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    I guess I should have stated that I still love the truck. I have done a LOT of customizing to it (it is kind of a hobby) and really enjoy it. My overall complaint was just that when you buy a "Limited" you (or at least I) expect it to be loaded. It just seems like there is a lot missing and Toyota cut a lot of corners to call it a LTD.
    Ken

Before:
    [​IMG]

After (kind of, still in progress with big bro Tundra before I sold her):
    [​IMG]

12. Dec 15, 2013 at 12:04 PM
    keninsb

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD

I owned the '08 SR5 Tundra in the pic above and it had WAY more options than the '13 LTD Taco. That is one of the reasons I was so disappointed in the Taco. A lot of the options that I expected to be standard were not even offered. I was told that it is simply because they sell the heck out of Tacos, they are in VERY high demand, but they have a MUCH harder time moving the Tundra. That being said, you can get a lot more for your money with the Tundra and the dealerships are willing to deal a lot more on the Tundra than they are in the case of the Taco. My opinion is that Toyota is getting lazy. They are relying on their reputation and not listening to the owners. Why should they? People are buying the Tacos like crazy as is.
    I still love the truck, but miss a LOT of things about my Tundra.
    Ken

13. Dec 15, 2013 at 12:48 PM
    keninsb

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD

Amen to that! Any info on the 3rd gen Taco like release date or preview?
    Interesting.
    Ken

14. Dec 15, 2013 at 12:50 PM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    I think that is the biggest misconception we here at TW beleive and the dealers push it as a selling point to get you to pull the trigger on a Tacoma. I reality, the Tacoma isn't the hot seller we all here preach and want want to believe. Toyota controls the production of the Tacoma to ensure delaers have a realistic stock on hand and adjust production accordingly, not because every Tacoma that shows up at a dealer is sold the next few days. The reason the Tacoma really comes in limited upscale options is Toyota rather you move up if you want all those things to the Tundra which is a more profitable vehicle overall. The price point between building a Tacoma and Tundra is negligible, and thus the conundrum all the Big-3 understood when they abandoned the midsize market. American's will not buy a mid size truck fully loaded, when they can spend literally a couple grand more and move up to more size, more capability with similar efficiency. All of us here at TW can say we don't want or prefer a fullsize but the actually market of buyers says otherwise. DOn't beleive me, look at the overall sales number of midsize trucks from 2000 until now. At the end of the day, the diehard people here on TW who prefer the smaller size to wheel and off-road make up a small overall percentage of Tacoma buyers and the rest of the midsize market. As others have said, the Colorado will be an intriguing prospect as it will either fall into the same trap the previous model went through, or will steal overall sales from the more profitable Silverado which GM cannot afford at this point. Next model year, 2015 will be a big one for all the Truck manufacturers.

15. Dec 15, 2013 at 2:16 PM
    keninsb

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    I can see your point except that Toyota and "Datsun" have been selling the smaller trucks forever, and the trucks are much better than any domestic truck. The decision between full size truck and smaller truck is a totally different animal when you are comparing domestic vehicles to foreign ones (especially Toyota and Nissan). Gas prices are definitely "fueling" the issue too. Seriously, on a typical day how many Tacos do you see on the road compared to Tundras? People do get a lot more bang for their buck when buying the full size trucks, but again mileage is a big factor nowadays. Like I said earlier in this thread, there are a lot of options Toyota HAD on their SR5 model in the late '90s early '00s (like the oil pressure gauge) that are not even an option anymore. Toyota is getting lazy.
    Ken

16. Dec 15, 2013 at 4:11 PM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock

Yeah, both Toyota and Nissan both really excel and are known for the compact truck where the Big-3 are more known for their full-size and HD's. The Top-3 all make good full size trucks; that's why their is so muck loyalty amongst them. The Tundra unfortunately never took off as Toyota had hoped. When the current Tundra came to the market in 2007, Toyota's President of North American operations said, Toyota was expecting to take 10% of the market, well guess what their saying now....they're happy with 3%...that's a lot of market to give up overall. It's going to be tough for Toyota to get full size sales. Back to the compacts, believe it or not, there was a period in time where the Ranger was the best selling compact truck. With that all being said, if you look at the mileage between the Tacoma, Frontier, Ridgeline and all 3 of the full-sizes, the full size get better or similar mileage really negating the purpose of having a midsize, unless you need the smaller size to off road or go on tight trails, which is a very small number of overall buyers. The sales numbers of trucks support this. Mid size trucks numbers continue to dwindle year after year, while those of the full-size continue to go up.

My point in all of this is even though we are on a Tacoma website and this place will have a large number of fanboys, the reality is the Tacoma is not a hot selling vehicle, last I checked, it is Toyota's 8th best selling vehicle out of what 12 models? It's not even in the Top 25 of overall vehicle sales in the US. Yes Toyota is getting lazy since they have the midsize market all but wrapped up, but have all but conceded the Tundra....it's evident with the minimal effort they put into the current "redesign"

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  17. Dec 15, 2013 at 5:51 PM
    AR15xAR10

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Good conversation, you guys are tearing it up! :thumbsup: i am also very interested in the build, quality, capability, reliability of the new Colorado and of a 3rd gen tacoma if they make one (they'd be stupid not to).

Tractorman likes this.
  18. Jan 11, 2014 at 7:06 AM
    toyo8696

toyo8696 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Cumming,GA
    Vehicle:
    4X4 Sport DCSB, 2008 4R V8 AWD
    When I was looking at new Tacoma's I found 2 that were what I wanted. One of them had the Limited package. It comes standard with heated seats and that's what almost made me get it. I went the other route, but I sure would like to have had those heated seats!

19. Jan 11, 2014 at 7:58 AM
    glwood6

glwood6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    03 XCab Prerunner
    Bilstein 4600 shocks.
    So you opted for these particular bump stops with your stock OR springs, instead of replacing the rear spring pack? I would like to look into this...

Edit Never mind...I see you have since upgraded your suspension...however, I would like to look into these bump stops, they seem like a good idea even with the stock suspension.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  20. Jan 11, 2014 at 8:13 AM
    AR15xAR10

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I'm pretty sure you can buy a heated seat kit, take the factory covers off, glue the kit in place, wire it in, and zip the covers back on. I think i've seen a thread about it. It shouldn't be to difficult if that is what you really want :thumbsup:

Tractorman likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top