1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Studded winter tires AKA Studs

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Green Jeans, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Oct 28, 2013 at 5:56 PM
    Green Jeans

Green Jeans [OP] 6MT AC TRD OR 1GR-FE FTMFW

Member:
    Oregone
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Off-Road
    To begin:
    I know you haters out there are just lurking for this opportunity :popcorn:.... to make your dumbass comment and monitor the thread whilst mouth breathing as the dog licks the cheeto stains on your fat rolls :pccoffee:....

Also:
    There are indeed reasons to own studded snows...... some people here ski/snowboard 100+ days a year :hungry:, work in that industry :boom:, or have a commute which involves ice and snow (yes the two go hand in hand) 80+ days out of the year.

That being said:

Who uses which studded snow tires AKA studs (that will be handy with the search function) and how do you like them?

I've had Studded Hankook Winter iPikes on a Subaru for the last 4 seasons but unfortunately they aren't available anymore.

I'm into the idea of getting a set of Studded General Altimax Arctics as they appear to have a very similar tread patterns to the iPikes.

-
    :cheers:
    sms

2. Oct 28, 2013 at 6:01 PM
    AK Taco

AK Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    matt
    Anchorage, Ak
    Vehicle:
    chrome-free '99 sr5
    20% tint on all windows, Deckplate mod, satoshi-ish grille, blacked out and/or body matched emblems, rattle canned rims, red l.e.d. interior lights, bilstein 5100's and OME 881 coils , deaver 8 leaf pack, 1.5" lift shackle, alpine sound system, 55w HID lightforce 140 and 170 fogs
    I run studs in the winter up in AK the past two seasons and they did great for me. After november/December time the only pavement we really see all winter is still glazed with ice/snow so for me studs were a no brainer.

I'd say the majority of people driving run studded tires in the winter up here.

3. Oct 28, 2013 at 8:23 PM
    treaddy

treaddy Well-Known Member

Member:
    alberta
    Vehicle:
    08' oft-road, 3" ^
    3" OME, ARB front, W8000, lil"mods, ongoing,,,
    Im putting on my studded cooper snow tires tomorrow, I keep them on til march, ick. They are great for packed snow, ice and peace of mind for highway miles with black ice. Would never go back to just a snow tire, why if you can run them and it's @25$ to stud a tire, cheap safety bonus.
    Cheers

Products Discussed in

To Top