Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Help me pic my new tires out, I keep going back and forth.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:09 AM   #1
SNThorsen is on a distinguished road
Coast Guard: Boatswainsmate
Name: Shelby
SNThorsen's Tacoma Gallery
Question Help me pic my new tires out, I keep going back and forth.

I am going with 265 70 17/s I have three that I am doing pros and cons on but can't decide. Would someone just pic them out for me? I am torn between the Toyo AT2's, BFG TA KO/ Or the Duratracs? They AT2 seems like the best to me I just having trouble deciding if they have an aggressive enough look or not. The TA KO's have been around a long time and have proven themselves its just that everyone and their grandmas have that tire and I don't like to be to original, The Duratracs have a nice aggressive look its just that i have seen SOOO many mixed reviews on them like 50/50 good vs bad it makes me wonder about those, Some say they are the best tires and others have had so many flats and sidewall damage. What do I do? someone help me pic. I drive 90% on road and 10% trail riding. Pics would help also. Thanks guys I have been studying these 3 for Months.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:15 AM   #2
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
cant go wrong with BFG AT.. great tire.

I think people with duratrac issues are running a light load range tire..
tons of people are running duratracs on here including me.. and I dont see threads pop up very often complaining about them.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:18 AM   #3
NRA Endowment - Member
mwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmwc273 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mwc273's Tacoma Gallery
Can't go wrong with BFG ATs... Great tire.
Don't worry about being "original".
Just go for a great, proven, best "all purpose" tire on the planet.
(sometimes my brand loyalty gets a little extreme...)
Love my BFGs!
Old 10-30-2013, 10:20 AM   #4
Running For Mayor of TW
richardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
richardbui23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNThorsen View Post
I am going with 265 70 17/s I have three that I am doing pros and cons on but can't decide. Would someone just pic them out for me? I am torn between the Toyo AT2's, BFG TA KO/ Or the Duratracs? They AT2 seems like the best to me I just having trouble deciding if the have an aggressive enough look or not. The TA KO's have been around a long time and have proven them selves its just that everyone and their grandmas have that tire and I don't like to be to original, The Duratracs have a nice aggressive look its just that i ave seen SOOO many mixed reviews on them like 50/50 good vs bad it make me wonder about those, Some say they are the best tires and others have had so many flats and sidewall damage. What do I do someone help me pic. I drive 90% on road and 10% trail riding. Pics would help also. Thanks guys i have been studying these 3 for Months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
cant go wrong with BFG AT.. great tire.

I think people with duratrac issues are running a light load range tire..
tons of people are running duratracs on here including me.. and I dont see threads pop up very often complaining about them.
this. although in wet conditions i wouldnt choose the BFG's asky me why lol i noticed you said you wanted to be different when it came to tires because everyone and there mom has them, you should choose tires based on performance and not how many people have them i mean if alot of people havethem then they must be performing well right? safety > individuality
Old 10-30-2013, 10:21 AM   #5
Señor Member
DriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shedDriverSound is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DriverSound's Tacoma Gallery
It was between BFG and Dura's for me. Some sizes of BFG's lost their snow flakes. Old BFG's with the snow flake/sipping was not as good in snow when I had them so on came the Duratracs. I have load D and had no problems with balancing.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:53 AM   #6
DirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: USN Retired
Name: Terry
DirtEater's Tacoma Gallery
Boats,
I'd go for the Toyo's. They're an all new design, and quality is top notch.

I just went with Nitto Terra Grapplers in that size only because the Toyo's were difficult to locate here for some reason. The Nitto's are easy to find.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:13 AM   #8
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
For 90% street driving, I'd go with the Toyos.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:37 PM   #10
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Bump? What are all of us that posted not good enough for you? You think I'm the goddamed tooth fairy man? Hahahahahaha. Jk
Old 10-30-2013, 10:01 PM   #11
Lord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shedLord Helmet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: 1st Mar Div
Name: Nick
Lord Helmet's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
^This...
Old 10-30-2013, 10:40 PM   #12
Make mine a Double!
skistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud ofskistoy has much to be proud of

Navy:
Name: Mike
skistoy's Tacoma Gallery
DURATRACS

Plus heres a thread i started on them:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/whe...duratracs.html

Still have them on at 53K miles
Old 10-30-2013, 11:53 PM   #13
Special Edition Member
Gincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gincoma's Tacoma Gallery
Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors, I swear by these and very good in the snow. Having BFGoodrich All Terrains and Toyo AT's the Goodyears are the best I have had yet and longest lasting but thats just me.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:52 AM   #14
bucktales has a spectacular aura aboutbucktales has a spectacular aura about

bucktales's Tacoma Gallery
BFG
Got mine last week.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:02 AM   #15
TACO LOVER!
!TacoTaco! is a glorious beacon of light!TacoTaco! is a glorious beacon of light!TacoTaco! is a glorious beacon of light!TacoTaco! is a glorious beacon of light!TacoTaco! is a glorious beacon of light

Law Enforcement:
Name: Felix
!TacoTaco!'s Tacoma Gallery
Toyo. Nuff said!
Old 10-31-2013, 02:15 AM   #16
Keonib is on a distinguished road
Name: Keoni
Keonib's Tacoma Gallery
+1 to the silent armors...I just put on a set and BIG difference
Old 10-31-2013, 02:30 AM   #17
Chief Pal Guy
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
OK, just my experience:

My son runs the BFG TA KOs as Summer tires (3 seasons). Great trail tire and decent road manners. For snow they kind of suck for anything other than deep snow, i.e. plowed roads/icy roads.

I run Wrangler Silent Armor LT rated as Summer tires. I've been very pleased with them on road, trail, and beach (sand). Because of the LT rating, they are heavy and I run them at 50psi on the road. That is what my tire guy recommended to keep them from sucking my MPGs away. That does make for a bit of a buckboard ride on the road, but my MPGs have stayed in the 20MPG range. I air them down to about 38psi for trail and about 25 to 30psi the couple times I've had them in the sand.

It's Alaska, so we run dedicated Winter tires (Blizzaks). I can only make the BFG snow comments because initially my son thought he'd run them year round. After a couple weeks, he decided he needed a true Winter tire.

That's my experience FWIW.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:20 AM   #18
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNThorsen View Post
I am going with 265 70 17/s I have three that I am doing pros and cons on but can't decide. Would someone just pic them out for me? I am torn between the Toyo AT2's, BFG TA KO/ Or the Duratracs? They AT2 seems like the best to me I just having trouble deciding if they have an aggressive enough look or not. The TA KO's have been around a long time and have proven themselves its just that everyone and their grandmas have that tire and I don't like to be to original, The Duratracs have a nice aggressive look its just that i have seen SOOO many mixed reviews on them like 50/50 good vs bad it makes me wonder about those, Some say they are the best tires and others have had so many flats and sidewall damage. What do I do? someone help me pic. I drive 90% on road and 10% trail riding. Pics would help also. Thanks guys I have been studying these 3 for Months.
You're buying tires for your truck, not shoes for your wife. IMO, the bold is what matters, not the "aggressive look".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gincoma View Post
Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors, I swear by these and very good in the snow. Having BFGoodrich All Terrains and Toyo AT's the Goodyears are the best I have had yet and longest lasting but thats just me.
I'd lean that way, too. While I like my set of DuraTracs, I'd prefer a quieter tire, and they're fairly quiet for an AT. An AT with an emphasis on on-road performance would seem to be the best choice for your uses. TireRack is the best site I've found for user surveys and reviews. Use their data to guide your decision and it shouldn't take another three months to place an order.
Old 10-31-2013, 05:29 AM   #19
2006TRDSPORT
2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of2006TRDSPORT has much to be proud of

Name: Jason
2006TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
I vote Nittos, I have put approx. 27K on mine thus far with zero issues & plenty of tread remaining. Handle great in all conditions I've been in to include snow. I don't go offroad that much but would expect they handle well there too.
Attached Thumbnails
Help me pic my new tires out, I keep going back and forth.-img_3959.jpg   Help me pic my new tires out, I keep going back and forth.-img_3960.jpg  
Old 10-31-2013, 05:38 AM   #20
Chief Pal Guy
MQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shedMQQSE is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: AD Command & Control (C2) Retired // Civ Load Planner
Name: Rob III
MQQSE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
You're buying tires for your truck, not shoes for your wife. IMO, the bold is what matters, not the "aggressive look".

I'd lean that way, too. While I like my set of DuraTracs, I'd prefer a quieter tire, and they're fairly quiet for an AT. An AT with an emphasis on on-road performance would seem to be the best choice for your uses. TireRack is the best site I've found for user surveys and reviews. Use their data to guide your decision and it shouldn't take another three months to place an order.
Yes! Check my Sig.