1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Dealership Privacy Issue

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by StayGould13, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Oct 30, 2013 at 11:03 AM
    StayGould13

StayGould13 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tristan
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    Exterior/Armor: Tints Avid Sliders w/ Kickout UWS Low Pro Toolbox Interior: WeatherTech Liners Suspension: Stock...Pending... Wheels/Tires: Stock...Pending Miscellaneous: TRD Exhaust
    Hey Guys...figured I'd bounce this off you for your thoughts...I traded in a vehicle for my Tacoma about a month ago and have run into a couple of issues with the dealer.

The most glaring issue happened yesterday when I received a call from the new owner of my trade in. Apparently the dealer gave him my full name and contact info because he was complaining about an issue with the aftermarket alarm I had installed in it. They told him to ask me how to fix it.

Arent they in violation of some sort of privacy law? Im located in Florida, so Im not sure if there is a state law that covers that.

Ive already escalated this issue to their management, but do you think I should be compensated for the hassle and release of my personal info?

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  2. Oct 30, 2013 at 11:08 AM
    Iggy

Iggy Vagabond Outdoors

Member:
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 Off-Road Access Cab
    Check out the build
    Jeeze, I would say that's a huge no-no.

Aren't they technically the previous owners of the truck? You're the previous, previous owner to this new guy.

3. Oct 30, 2013 at 11:10 AM
    StayGould13

Member:
    First Name:
    Tristan
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    Exterior/Armor: Tints Avid Sliders w/ Kickout UWS Low Pro Toolbox Interior: WeatherTech Liners Suspension: Stock...Pending... Wheels/Tires: Stock...Pending Miscellaneous: TRD Exhaust
    Yea, totally. I know I have no obligation to that vehicle anymore, so that really isnt my concern. Im just pissed that my info was given out so freely to a complete stranger.

4. Oct 30, 2013 at 11:14 AM
    Iggy

Iggy Vagabond Outdoors

Member:
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    Check out the build
    Well what if the guy isn't happy with what he got? What if down the road there is an issue with the truck that the dealer doesn't want to fix?

Now this guy has your info and can bother you when ever. Did the dealer sell it as is to the guy? If so why are you part of the transaction. I'd be really pissed personally.

I would call corporate Toyo.

5. Oct 30, 2013 at 11:15 AM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    All of the above are valid points. I would call Toyota Corporate.

6. Oct 30, 2013 at 11:17 AM
    StayGould13

Member:
    First Name:
    Tristan
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4

Yea, there are a lot of "what ifs" in this situation. I had nothing to do with their transaction. I went in, traded in my old vehicle for my new truck and that was that....done it many times before and have never experienced something like this.

7. Oct 30, 2013 at 11:20 AM
    Iggy

Iggy Vagabond Outdoors

Member:
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    Check out the build
    Which is why I think corporate is a better route to handling your situation.

I think even if management at the dealer gave you free parts or accessories its really to cover themselves from a larger liability.

A: This shouldn't happen and B: The dealer should be worried about doing it again.

Outside pressure is needed.

8. Oct 30, 2013 at 11:28 AM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    This is an invasion of your privacy on the part of the dealership. They shouldn't have "apparently" offered up your information. If there is an issue with the truck the dealership is suppose to fix it, not send the new owner to the previous owner(apparently). It would be a different situation if it was a private to private sale without the dealership. It's no longer your obligation.

If I were you, I'd be looking into the legal side of this. Even if the dealership gives you compensation, it's not going to be very much. If there isn't going to be outside pressure(from a lawyer etc) then they are just going to give you free stuff. This could have been a threatening issue for you. The new owner could have been crazy.

9. Oct 30, 2013 at 11:30 AM
    StayGould13

Member:
    First Name:
    Tristan
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    Thanks fellas....just got off the line with corporate...Ive opened a case with them...lets see what comes of this...

10. Oct 30, 2013 at 11:33 AM
    StayGould13

Member:
    First Name:
    Tristan
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4

Agreed...appreciate your thoughts.

11. Oct 30, 2013 at 11:35 AM
    StayGould13

Member:
    First Name:
    Tristan
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4

The dealer has 3 days to contact me, but because it is a privately owned business it will need to be resolved with the dealer and not corporate. If I cant come to a resolution with the dealer, legal council would be the next step. At least there is a case on file with corporate though.

12. Oct 30, 2013 at 11:36 AM
    SoCaltaco65

SoCaltaco65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB 4x4 Offroad TRD
    Likewise consult an Attorney, that's a huge violation of State and Federal Privacy laws.

13. Oct 30, 2013 at 11:38 AM
    StayGould13

Member:
    First Name:
    Tristan
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4

Didnt notice anything on the sale paper work, but Ill give it another look over when I get home.

14. Oct 30, 2013 at 11:40 AM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    Yeah. Pretty much now it's going to be your word against the dealerships. I would suggest you in calling a lawyer and getting a consultation. But I am sure that if things went further and had to go to court. I am sure that "if" Toyota Corps name is going to be dragged through the mud at any point, they'll intervene.

15. Oct 30, 2013 at 11:44 AM
    StayGould13

Member:
    First Name:
    Tristan
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    Roger that...Ive been documenting everything as well...lets see what they come back with...

16. Oct 30, 2013 at 11:46 AM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    It's good to write everything down. Dates, times, who you talked to and what was said.

17. Oct 30, 2013 at 11:55 AM
    Rosesplus

Rosesplus Well-Known Member

Member:
    Personally I'd be happy to help out a guy who bought an old vehicle of mine....

18. Oct 30, 2013 at 12:01 PM
    ziggynagy

ziggynagy All Glory To The Hypnotoad

Member:
    Stoughton, MA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Sport AC 4x4 V6 Auto Tow
    Westin step bars, led dome & map lights, tailgate hoseclamp, BluLogic, MetalMiller emblem, 35 tinted front windows, extra OEM d-rings, WeatherTech front/rear
    "State and Federal Privacy Laws" gets mis-used as much as "Freedom of Speech". Do you have a law you're referring to that's been violated? Federal privacy laws protect the information the government and interstate business (like cell phone and cable tv companies) from being shared.

There's also the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act which protects the car dealership from identifying you as receiving financing with any info they collect.

Definitely contact an attorney if the dealer doesn't do the right thing so you can at least get them to stop sharing your information.

19. Oct 30, 2013 at 12:05 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    you should have told the new owners..

"hey how did you get the blood stains off the roof liner? and is the smell gone?"

20. Oct 30, 2013 at 12:08 PM
    StayGould13

Member:
    First Name:
    Tristan
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    Thanks, but what action on their part would you consider doing the right thing? Outside of assuring me my info wont be released again.

Products Discussed in

To Top