1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Guide to Practical Use of Off Road Model Features

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by zk6760, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Oct 31, 2013 at 1:25 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Lots of good recommendations on operation of 4WD on here. I figured I would add what I know as well. Engaging and driving on dry pavement with 4WD engaged typically will more likely cause damage to the transfer case, before the axles. MOST (remember I said most, not all) of the 2nd gen Tacoma trucks have an open front differential. How is this relevant? Well, an open differential DOES NOT BIND. The purpose of an open differential is to allow the left and right wheels to be able to turn at different speeds. This is just like the rear differential. So what binds?

The transfer case binds! When the truck is making a turn in 4WD, the front wheels have a different track than the rear wheels. This is obvious if in 2WD your turn in a circle. Watch the tire paths. Because the front has a different track than the rear, the front driveshaft will turn at a different rotational speed than the rear driveshaft. The transfer case is NOT an automatic transfer case on our trucks (Unlike for example some of the autotrack systems in GM trucks) The Tacoma transfer case is a direct engagement system, so the transfer case output shafts turn at the same speed. Well if the front diff is turning at a slightly different speed than the rear is, it will cause a binding in the transfer case.

Now when we actually drive these trucks and try to turn in dry pavement at slow speeds, the transfer case is capable of forcing the front driveshaft to rotate at the same speed as the rear driveshaft. End result? At some point one of the tires will have to break traction and slip. THAT is what you hear as the tires scrub. It is not the differential in the front.

Now if you were to install a locker in the front end, that changes a ton of what happens because the locker is trying to prevent either wheel in the front from turning at a different speed. BUT for 90% of the Tacoma 4WD trucks out there with an OPEN differential, the above situation is what happens. If you think it has to do with the front diff and wheels, etc., then do this simple test. Remove your rear driveshaft. Now engage 4WD and you will find that you can turn as tight as you want without any binding.

2. Oct 31, 2013 at 1:27 PM
    richardbui23

richardbui23 That guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Arlington Texas
    Vehicle:
    Stacy
    turn on everything and floor it

3. Oct 31, 2013 at 1:35 PM
    SoCaltaco65

SoCaltaco65 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB 4x4 Offroad TRD

This makes me giggle...

All keep in mind your front IFS diff is small and has limited lube in it, its not meant for that type of duty cycle.

4. Oct 31, 2013 at 2:32 PM
    richardbui23

richardbui23 That guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Arlington Texas
    Vehicle:
    Stacy
    theres plenty of trails and gravel/dirt roads in texas you can use :D

5. Oct 31, 2013 at 2:36 PM
    saread

saread Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Bothell, WA
    Vehicle:
    14 AC TRD OR 4x4
    ProTec Tool Box

Dude! You should really write technical manuals. This is one of best, most lucid, descriptions of a complex mechanical relationship I have ever read. I read a lot of technical shit, and this is as good as it gets. Nice job, and thanks.

6. Oct 31, 2013 at 2:55 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    Yeah, sometimes I get carried away. I start writing and the "shut up dummy" switch in my head doesn't always turn on. lol. Thanks.

7. Oct 31, 2013 at 3:51 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    I think you're referring to....OPEN differential.

Yes, the OPEN diff technically will compensate for a turn where the inner tire is turning at a shorter distance than the outter tire. However - when you apply torque when you step on the gas, the torque will go to the path of least resistance (in an open diff) which puts lots of pressure on ONE of the CV joints.

Tacomas have CV joints at each wheel. It doesn't matter whether its the inner or outter wheel in a turn...the CV joints will experience extreme stress during a tight turn. And this....is drive-line BIND UP.

In my offroading days....I've seen a guy blow out one of his CV joints on the trail. It's an ugly mess when you blow out a CV joint.

Among other things - the transfer case is not a differential. If there is any differences in torque between the front & rear, the transfer case is going to bind up.

8. Oct 31, 2013 at 4:01 PM
    anders99

anders99 The Sailing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Penscola, FL
    Vehicle:
    (07 Base 4cyl 4x4 - RIP) -> 2018 4Runner SR5 Premuim
    Taco SOS Offroad Concepts hybrid front bumper Iggy Corp. Switch panel Famous Fab ditch lights and cb antenna mount Pioneer Appradio 2 Halo Led Headlights Led Taillights 3'' toytech spacer lift on front end Toytec AAL on rear AFE cold air intake 4Runner Stock
    I don't know if this has already been answered cause I just kinda skimmed through. I think I read some where in the manual or the lil visor card that you should not exceed 25 mph in 4 LO

9. Oct 31, 2013 at 4:23 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    That's probably about right for what the manual would say.

If you've ever used 4lo, you're limiting factor is engine RPM's more or less.

I've had mine up to 35mph in a snow storm and the engine was screaming. Not red line, but enough to make me back off.

10. Oct 31, 2013 at 4:40 PM
    anders99

anders99 The Sailing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Penscola, FL
    Vehicle:
    (07 Base 4cyl 4x4 - RIP) -> 2018 4Runner SR5 Premuim
    Taco SOS Offroad Concepts hybrid front bumper Iggy Corp. Switch panel Famous Fab ditch lights and cb antenna mount Pioneer Appradio 2 Halo Led Headlights Led Taillights 3'' toytech spacer lift on front end Toytec AAL on rear AFE cold air intake 4Runner Stock
    I have used it once and I shifted into second gear before I got to the rpm level where I decided it wasn't worth going any more. It is just so noisy above 5 mph

11. Oct 31, 2013 at 4:52 PM
    Naveronski

Naveronski Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DCSB TRD:OR
    What's the consensus on death storm type rain? 4hi is fine, below a certain speed?

12. Nov 1, 2013 at 4:59 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Death storm rain? If that's as bad as I'm picturing it.......your windshield wipers probably can't keep up thus you can't see shit and everyone else on the roads can't see either.

Soooo.....you're probably stop & go traffic.

13. Nov 1, 2013 at 5:23 AM
    aaronbuell

aaronbuell Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    aaron
    windsor NY
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD/OR Access Cab V6 debadged
    Fog-light anytime mod, ,black grill,URD short throw,TRD decals removed ,debadged,black rear bumper, homemade tire carrier,TreadWright tires,Evo mod,removed rear headrests and seats,ABS kill switch mod,black center caps,Clarion CX501 head unit,Relentless hood brackets with floodlights.
    Done on a closed landing strip up behind my house. Was my uncles was shut down a few years ago after he passed. Its still listed in New Yorks emergency landingstrips for small planes i think. You can still see most of it, it is to the right of the large pond in the picture. I did this once I may be stupid sometimes but not enough to drive around like that. I was just making a statement that the truck is not going to explode in a mushroom cloud if it hits 60.1 mph here and there.

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=541+Fox+Farm+Rd,+Windsor,+NY&aq=&sll=42.096925,-75.734817&sspn=0.037894,0.055189&vpsrc=6&t=h&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=541+Fox+Farm+Rd,+Windsor,+New+York+13865&ll=42.089998,-75.71183&spn=0.004737,0.006899&z=17

Last edited: Nov 1, 2013
  14. Nov 1, 2013 at 6:50 AM
    jethro

jethro Master Baiter

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    2020 Ford F-150 Lariat 5.0L V8
    All I can add is that the only button I use is the A-TRAC button, and that is only when I want to squeal the tires! LOL

15. Nov 1, 2013 at 8:04 AM
    zbaldo

zbaldo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ozzy
    Torrance, Ca
    Vehicle:
    99 4Runner SR5 4X4
    Stock as Stock can be with duratracs and a roof rack

I don't know about the increase in tire pressure but slow down as the faster you go while hydroplaning the less control you'll have while doing so. True the faster you go the faster you'll get through it but it doesn't guarantee your safety, I don't think 4wd does anything for hplaning

16. Nov 1, 2013 at 8:35 AM
    zk6760

zk6760 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    SLC, UT
    Vehicle:
    2010 Off Road
    Just got it!
    So you always have to engage the rear diff under 5mph, but the rear locker mod allows you to drive over 5mph once it is engaged?

What happens if you try to go over 5mph without the mod?

17. Nov 1, 2013 at 8:59 AM
    TripleThreat

TripleThreat Vance@freevancewriting.com

Member:
    First Name:
    They keep callin me cowboy but its not my name...
    Socal but I am still a southern Florida guy
    Vehicle:
    Toyota Tacoma 4x4 slightly modified
    nothing special.... wanna race?
    :burnrubber: :rofl:

18. Nov 1, 2013 at 9:25 AM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    My favorite answer so far :thumbsup:

19. Nov 1, 2013 at 9:28 AM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    Goddamn... here's to hoping I don't have to make a emergency landing there (even in my truck).

20. Nov 1, 2013 at 9:31 AM
    PBR Streetgang

PBR Streetgang Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Medford, OR
    Vehicle:
    2013 AC 4x4 TRD
    Icon stage 4 kit, Deaver J66 leaf springs, Firestone ride-rite airbags, Warn 9.5 XPS winch
    Yeah it is a bit confusing even after reading and re-reading about the many different traction modes on our Tacomas. I have a 4.0L auto transmission. A real-world situation where A-TRAC helps me a lot is driving in 4LO up a steep rough trail with lots of loose rocks, debris, and small washouts. When I'm driving up a trail like that and the truck momentarily loses traction, I just hit the gas a little more and A-TRAC automatically does its job and I don't have to think about it.

I also use 4L a lot when I know I won't need to go much more than 15-20 m.p.h. because if you don't need the speed then you might as well have lots of torque instead.

I really don't understand the point of DAC, if I want to go slow down a steep hill I just use 4L and put it in 2nd or L gear on the shifter.

I haven't really found a need to use rear diff. lock on most of the forest service roads and trails that I explore, but I tend to ignore it mostly because I can never remember how it affects A-TRAC, but it sounds like that's what the locker anytime mod is for, so I'll probably do that mod soon. I think A-TRAC is the most useful of all the traction control modes. It's automatic and it probably offers the most benefit and most frequent use for the type of off-roading that most people do.

Products Discussed in

To Top