1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sliders- Kickout Vs. No Kickout and brand comparisons

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by LITACO, Oct 31, 2013.

?

Do you run sliders with kickouts?

Poll closed Nov 7, 2013.
  1. Yes

71 vote(s)
    70.3%
  2. No

30 vote(s)
    29.7%
  1. Oct 31, 2013 at 3:06 PM
    LITACO

LITACO [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    2006 DCSB 325,000 Miles
    ARMOR- CBI Moab 2.0 front bumper, Bud Built Mid Skid, Bud Built Trans skid w/cross member, BAMF rear diff skid, Armortech gas tank skid, OEM front tin skid, Icon Lca skids, Demello off-road round tube sliders bolt on but tack welded for strength, Body Armor 4x4 rear bumper, CHASSIS AND SUSPENSION- New frame from Toyota September 2016, One piece rear driveshaft by supershafts of long island, BAMF cab mount chop plates, 5100 front shocks with toytec 3 inch lift coils w/top plates, All-Pro expo leafs, 1.5 inch blocks + 3 degree shims, Daystar rear bumpstops, 5100 extended travel rear shocks, spc light racing uca's, Toytec steel braid rear brake lines, synergy 1.5 wheel spacers, front sway bar relocation blocks, Minor front fender trim, hammer pinch weld mod. PERFORMANCE MODS- TRD Cat back exhaust with Thrush welded muffler, TRD CAI with Updated AFE filter, Air Flow Snorkel. WHEELS AND TIRES- M/T Sidebitter wheels 16X8 4.5 B/S with Falken wildpeak atw3. LIGHTING MODS- Black Bezel headlights brand X resealed before install, 6k LED headlights by Opt7 silicone glued into headlight, 3k hid foglight conversion, 4 inch Hella optilux 6k, 31inch led bar resealed before installation, Fog light bulb reverse light mod, LED interior lights. SOUND SYSTEM- Pioneer head unit with ipod interface (stock unit is junk), Rockford speakers all around, Pioneer 10 inch sub behind rear seat. ACCESSORIES- Armor Tech Hi-Lift Bed mount, OEM Bed mat, Weather Tech floor mats, Wet Okole front seat covers, Cobra 19 CB with Firestick, Home made bolt on antenna mount near tailgate, Ultra Gauge EM, Avital remote start for North East winters.
    I'm in the market for sliders for DCSB. Pros and Cons on kickout vs no kickout. I'd like to see what people have to say about different companies out there such as customer service, workmanship, price, and what ever else you can think of. Thanks Taco Family!!

2. Oct 31, 2013 at 3:56 PM
    Monster Coma

Monster Coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Pittsburgh, PA/Houston, TX
    Sponsored by Mom and Dad
    Pelfreybilt makes a nice set and he has a decent turnaround time. Price was pretty good minus shipping but thats not his fault.

3. Oct 31, 2013 at 3:57 PM
    StayGould13

StayGould13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tristan
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    Exterior/Armor: Tints Avid Sliders w/ Kickout UWS Low Pro Toolbox Interior: WeatherTech Liners Suspension: Stock...Pending... Wheels/Tires: Stock...Pending Miscellaneous: TRD Exhaust
    Had the same question when I first bought my truck...multiple folks recommended Avid Offroad...I ordered a set w/ kickouts...figured they would stick out a bit further and give me some extra protection...Avid has a TW discount as well..happy hunting!

4. Oct 31, 2013 at 4:03 PM
    Desert Drifter

Desert Drifter Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Central Arizona
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma 4x4, SR5
    Icon MT suspension, Pelfreybuilt front bumper, Relentless skids, Avid sliders, Avid custom rack. Pelfreybilt HC Rear bumper.
    I run Avid Off-Road sliders with ko on my taco. Sliders are something that it makes sense to buy local as shipping charges are a deal breaker. Avid is local to me and good stuff!

5. Oct 31, 2013 at 4:07 PM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    The kickout depends on what kind of wheeling you plan on doing. I did not go with a kickout since I don't plan on doing anything crazy. If you plan on getting the truck in a lot of tight spaces, that kick out can be the difference between a dented bedside and a clean get away. As far as brand, I can't say enough about Bay Area Metal Fab (BAMF). Jerry (JLee) was great to deal with and his product is top notch.

6. Oct 31, 2013 at 6:10 PM
    RacecarGuy

RacecarGuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB OR
    Pelfreybilt front and rear HC bumper w/swingout, BAMF LCA Skids, BAMF Diff skid, Pelfreybilt IFS and Trans skid, RCI gas tank skid, Bronze SCS F-5's, Icon RR's ext travel, Dakar leafs, Archive Garage shackle flip
    +1 for BAMF sliders. I prefer the kickouts just in case I'm in a really tight spot.

7. Oct 31, 2013 at 6:10 PM
    the glen

the glen Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Glen
    penisula
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Off-Road 6SP manual spruce mica Taco
    Icon 2.5 remote res. Coilovers front, icon 2.5 rem res shocks rear, deavers 10 pack leafspring rear. Light racing ouca. Cmc, avid light bar, bamf sliders weld on, grillcraft mx grill, bamf light bracket with lightforce 170's. Uws toolbox, oem bed mat, weathertechs f/r, hella airhorns, trd antenna, talegate mod, Clifford alarm, budbuilt full skid plate set. All pro rear bumper. Superbumps bumpstops. Bulldog lighting reverse led lights in bumper. Trd short throw shifter. Cobra cb, firestick 4' ant. Icon LCA skids. Bamf rear dif skid. Hi lift x-treme mounted with relentless rail mounts in bed. Full size method/bfg in bed. Crown performance ss/Kevlar brake lines. Power tank mounted in bed. Rigid d2s mounted on relentless hood mounts. H3R quick release fire extinguisher mounted to driver's seat. Redline hood struts.
    I have the bamf kick out weld on sliders. Beefy and I also agree that jerry is great to deal with.

8. Oct 31, 2013 at 6:14 PM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    I had BAMF weld ons, no kick - excellent sliders, I have Pelfrey sliders with a kick, also excellent sliders. You can't go wrong with any sliders.. a set is better than none. FWIW, the kick is ugly IMO but it has saved my ass a few times..

9. Oct 31, 2013 at 6:16 PM
    92shawman

92shawman Person

Member:
    First Name:
    K
    The Americas
    Vehicle:
    1992 Toyota Pickup
    Lots...see build
    BAMF + Kickout:
    [​IMG]

Edit: To answer your other questions, Jerry at BAMF was fantastic to work with and his sliders have held up to a fair amount of abuse, saving my body countless times. The welds are all high quality and the design is very beefy. Price-wise they're about mid-range, if I remember correctly from my research, but get in on a group buy and it's a great deal. Shipping might be a lot for you, though. I was able to go pick mine up, which was nice.
    The kickout is great for tight rocky spots, it also makes a really nice step for getting up to the top of the cab and campershell. Of course, you can make the judgement call on if you need the extra spacing away from stuff if you think you'll be in those situations.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  10. Oct 31, 2013 at 11:19 PM
    95 taco

95 taco Battle Born

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 4x4 TRD SR5 auto
    OME 883 front, OMD 3.5" rear, Relentless front bumper, smittybilt 9.5K winch
    Personally i prefer a kickout, if i'm spending that much money i want the little extra protection you get.
    As for brands, pelfreybilt is awesome (he's a local member/shop owner, and he makes great quality armor), but if you want budget sliders 4x innovations is a good product at a good price.

11. Oct 31, 2013 at 11:21 PM
    Taco me elmo

Taco me elmo Here, Eat some paint. Drink some Bleach.

Member:
    First Name:
    Tophat bobcat
    North of South, East of West
    Vehicle:
    Slow polished TuRD
    Anti theft 5-Speed
    No kickout from Pelfreybilt

12. Nov 1, 2013 at 12:23 AM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    BAMF kick outs.

Kick outs are great for a few reasons.

1) step up for the truck, pretty nice for me as i have a roof rack
    2) Pivot points. I have on several occasions now contacted the outside of the slider on the kickout and it helps pivot me around the rock or tree or whatever.
    3) for off camber wall situations, it'll help keep you off the wall
    4) in SOME case..help prevent a roll over..NOT very common though..

BAMFs make the largest kickout i think you can get at 8''.

recess likes this.
  13. Nov 1, 2013 at 8:59 AM
    geekhouse23

geekhouse23 The "Liftman" - @DrFunker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2GMGMDCSB4WDTRDFTMFW!! TL;DR
    mostly stock, grocery gettin' Prius
    Good seeing you again StayGould13!!

Here is a "write-up" I did for him when he posted asking about nerf bars :rofl:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...help-picking-out-nerf-bars-2.html#post7495835

I purchased Avids w/ KO for bedside protection and to use as a step to access the bed cargo; lifted truck and I'm short :cool:

BAMF is good also. I went with Brandon and his guys at Avid because I couldn't pass up the deal he had; TW discount + End of Summer 15% off. :D

14. Nov 1, 2013 at 9:03 AM
    StayGould13

StayGould13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tristan
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    Exterior/Armor: Tints Avid Sliders w/ Kickout UWS Low Pro Toolbox Interior: WeatherTech Liners Suspension: Stock...Pending... Wheels/Tires: Stock...Pending Miscellaneous: TRD Exhaust
    haha Hey man...I think Im about a week or so out from them arriving...cant wait! thanks again for the suggestion and write up...

15. Nov 1, 2013 at 9:13 AM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
    Never liked kickouts nor would I ever get them for what I do and where I go. I'm no rock crawler but when trails get tight with trees and walls I don't need to get hung up on anything else. I love me some Hybrid sliders out of square and tube - mine are Relentless. Never had an issue using mine as steps either. Mine are tucked up as far to the rockers as possible and notched around the cab mount so they go as far front as possible.

16. Nov 1, 2013 at 9:21 AM
    TicoTRD

TicoTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tico
    Summerville, SC
    Vehicle:
    '11 MGM SR5 AC
    can you post more pics of this??

17. Nov 1, 2013 at 9:51 AM
    Dragons Taco

Dragons Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Cary/Raleigh NC
    Vehicle:
    06 Black TRD-S 4WD 4D 6SPD and MINE!
    Can ya spell Tonneau
    Anyone see sliders with a hydraulic ram to act as an active kick-out?
    Waste of time, or interesting?

I like the Amp Research steps. Think of that using sliders and more Powa.

18. Nov 1, 2013 at 10:18 AM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.
    First things first what type of wheeling do you do?

19. Nov 1, 2013 at 10:21 AM
    JLee

JLee The Man! Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Benicia, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 Extra cab SAS Linked front and rear
    I lost track thousands of dollars ago.
    Yeah I don't see that happening you would end up busting the ram slamming it down on the rocks and I'm sure they would cost $1500.00 to $2000.00 to build after factoring in the rams and pump. Can it be done sure is it worth it I don't think so.

20. Nov 1, 2013 at 10:29 AM
    Buckoma

Buckoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Buckeye, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport 4x4
    I never liked sliders that stick out, or kickouts for that matter. But they will offer you more protection. I prefer a cleaner, more flush look myself. It's a trade-off between protection and appearance, personal preference and needs. More than once though, I've seen situations where sliders sticking way out hindered mobility while crawling, actually making it a little more difficult to get through a spot.

MarcM likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top