1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Space heater for a (4) person tent

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by TAC1, Nov 3, 2013.

1. Nov 3, 2013 at 9:03 PM
    username

username Fluffer

Member:
    Pendleton, Or
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco with some crap welded to it
    mostly stock
    When I was in the army they made us use these stupid tent half things and sleep in the mud for a training exercise. My buddy decides to crawl in his fart sack fully clothed, with boots on in case we have to get up quickly and play army in the middle of the night. (Ft Sill, Oklahoma in Feb, temps in the low teens) I told him it was stupid, but he wouldn't listen (hillbilly from Arkansas). The next morning he said he couldn't feel his feet. Being a good buddy I helped him take his boots off to warm up his feet, but they were really hard to get off and I wrestled with them. His socks were frozen to his feet, and when I peeled the one off his right foot three little blackened toes came with it. We had a little cry and off to the ER he went, and I never saw him again.

2. Nov 3, 2013 at 9:06 PM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    I know a lot of women that are cold natured. On the other hand I love sleeping in the cold. Just slept in 20* a few weeks ago.

3. Nov 3, 2013 at 9:08 PM
    benbacher

benbacher Purveyor of Fun Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    '10 Tacoma 4x4 LBDC SR5 TRD Sport
    Too many to list now.
    Lol yup, i came about an hour away from losing both feet completely to frostbite. Had to cut my shoes off as they were literally frozen solid. Punched through the snowpack to a running creek on a deceptively warm morning hike that turned into a 20 hour heli rescue for myself. Lame. My circulation has been the biggest loss. It takes about 3 months for a small cut to heal just because theres so little bloodflow to my feet.

4. Nov 3, 2013 at 9:12 PM
    benbacher

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    Too many to list now.
    Thats not cold :rolleyes:
    Alaska man. Alaska.

Jk jk

5. Nov 3, 2013 at 9:23 PM
    OffroadToy

OffroadToy old, forgetful, and decomposing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Offroad DCSB AT- VSC,TRAC,HAC, & DAC
    Icon Stage 8, ECGS Bushing, Timbren bump stops, Crown braided/extended brake lines, Overland Custom Design sway bar links, rear differential breather extension, oil filter drain hose, a/c drain hose extension & reroute, front windows tint, Cat Security, XPEL headlight/fog & grill protection, OEM block heater, RCBS illuminated 4X4 switch,
  6. Nov 4, 2013 at 6:23 AM
    TAC1

TAC1 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tac1
    Miami, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB O/R 4WD
    Hello folks,

Thank you ALL for your responses.

Some were sad,
    Some were funny,
    All were informative.

north Florida in January can get cold but I think that with Long Johns & sleeping bags (a friend of mine with experience advised me on the long johns) I should be good.

Thanks again everyone.

Oh, thanks for the link Biowheelin.

7. Nov 4, 2013 at 6:38 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    I've always used a Coleman propane lantern for heat in my tents when camping. I hang it on the center support so it can't get tipped over and puts out enough heat to take the chill out of the air. It's dual purpose, light and heat. I usually set it up in the tent 10 - 15 minutes before I'm ready to turn in for the night. Once I'm in and ready to go to sleep, I turn the lantern off and rely on my sleeping bag and mat to keep me warm. I would not trust a heater overnight.

8. Nov 4, 2013 at 6:41 AM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned the safety issue of having a heat source in an enclosed area that is filled with flammable materials. Ever see a sleeping bag burn? Its not pretty. And what about carbon monoxide?

First off what type of tent do you have? 3 season? 4 season? And what about sleeping pads? and bags? What is the temperature rating on them?
    I don't like to get cold at night either but I've learned how to pack efficiently over the years for a range of weather conditions since the weather here in MT can change in a heartbeat.

The first step is getting a tent that appropriate for your weather - a 3 season tent should be fine for FL. Size is important too. You want everyone to have enough room to stretch out and be comfortable but you don't want the tent to be oversized - the larger the tent the colder you will all be. Smaller tents will maintain a comfortable temp with just your body heat.
    Sleeping pads are next. The foam ones that look like yoga mats are crap and don't provide much insulation or cushion. Get a nice self inflating pad like a thermarest. They're light, thin, super insulated and comfy. I got one a few years ago and wish I had gotten it much sooner - I had never been so comfortable sleeping in a tent before!
    Bags are next. My rule of thumb is a 20* buffer between the temperature rating of the bag and the forecasted overnight low temp (ex. if the forecast says 40* at night then you want a 20* or lower bag). I have both a -10* and a +15* bag depending on the season. Most summer nights here get into the 30's or 40's in the mountains and I'm perfectly comfortable in my +15*. The -10* only comes out when the forecast is in the teens or lower.
    PJ's are the final piece of the puzzle. Invest in some nice thermal underoos - synthetic or wool is best - and wool socks and you'll be good to go.

A few more tips if you're worried about the "cold": If you've got to go #1 in the middle of the night do it, don't wait. Having a full bladder will actually deplete your body heat faster than braving the cold for a few minutes while you're out of your tent/bag. Store your clothes for the next day in the bottom of your bag overnight. When you wake up your clean clothes will be warm and not frosty. And if you're cold when you wake up get moving! Jog in place, do some jumping jacks...whatever you feel like to get your blood moving. Stay moderately active and you'll stay warm. Keep a few polar fleece blankets handy in case you need to throw them over your bags for a little more warmth, don't use heavy blankets that will compress the sleeping bag. The loft of the stuffing of the bag is what gives you the warmth, flattening it out will make you colder.

9. Nov 4, 2013 at 9:10 AM
    J88logue

J88logue NorthWest Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    HWY 30
    Vehicle:
    02 D.C. TRD
    Clicko BUILDo
    ^^^^ ummm yeah. I think he just want's a space heater for him and the kids. He's not gonna camp on the top of Everest.

10. Nov 4, 2013 at 9:25 AM
    benbacher

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    Too many to list now.

At least 4 posts mention the danger.

11. Nov 4, 2013 at 9:25 AM
    rockgecko03

rockgecko03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Rockwall, TX
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma - Perpetual Project
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned it, but a regular air mattress like you use in a house will suck away all your heat when it's cold. A mattress like a thermorest has a foam core. The primary reason for the foam core is to insulate.

For instance, if it's 20 degrees outside, the air inside the mattress before you lay on it is about 20 degrees. It's like laying on a big ice cube. It will suck your heat away from you all night as you lay on it.

12. Nov 4, 2013 at 9:29 AM
    benbacher

Member:
    First Name:
    ^
    Anchorage, AK
    Vehicle:
    Too many to list now.
    The air IS warmer than the ground though, so in that sense, you will be warmer, just not as warm as you could be.

13. Nov 4, 2013 at 9:32 AM
    Gaunt596

Gaunt596 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Central Maryland
    I see what your getting at but the MR. buddy heaters are specifically designed for use in tents. it has an automatic cutoff for oxygen depletion that is well above the minimum safe level, and i can attest to the fact that if the thing isnt within 5 degrees of level it will cutoff, and you damn near have to kick the thing like a football to knock it over. as far as lighting sleeping bags one fire, as long as you don't press the bag on the metal grille you should be fine. a little common sense goes a long way with those things.

14. Nov 4, 2013 at 9:38 AM
    rockgecko03

rockgecko03 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Rockwall, TX
    Vehicle:
    1999 Tacoma - Perpetual Project
    Initially, yes. However, if you lay directly on the ground, you're body is now heating the ground area the size of your body. With an air mattress, you're body heat is dispersed and is now heating the air inside the mattress and essentially heating the ground area equal to the dimensions of the mattress.

Took my wife forever to trust me on this one. She would sleep on the air mattress and I would sleep directly on the ground without a pad to prove the point. I always slept better. The day she finally tried it, she was pissed at me because it was somehow my fault she was always cold before, haha.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  15. Nov 4, 2013 at 9:40 AM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Borla Catback Exhaust, Snorkel, 33s on either 16's or 18's, ARB Bumper, All Pro LT w/Walker Evan Shocks front and back, All Pro expedition leaf pack, 10,000lb Superwinch, Intake Manifold Spacer, Bed Rack with ARB RTT, Rotopack and Hi Lift mounted, Husky Liner mats and an air freshener from 1995.
    :rofl:!!!

+1

16. Nov 4, 2013 at 11:26 AM
    jethro

jethro Master Baiter

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    2020 Ford F-150 Lariat 5.0L V8
    As an ice fisherman who has used Mr. Buddy heaters for well over 20 years, I'm horrified someone would consider using one inside a tent. Unless it's a wall tent. Don't confuse a low O2 sensor with it being safe for CO2- not the same thing. I won't continue... just no- don't use a buddy heater in a nylon tent with a nylon floor. Christ.

17. Nov 4, 2013 at 1:09 PM
    Cold Iron

Cold Iron Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Mn.
    Vehicle:
    2013 AC T|X Baja
    It has been a long time since I've camped in Fl. but DolphinJohn hit the nail on the head. Most campgrounds down there used to have electricity available and a small electric space heater will go a long ways. I use one if I am staying at an organized campground with a girlfriend that demands "civilization". Also use one at a small campsite near the BWCA which I use as a base camp when hunting just the dog and I for a few days staying in my trailer with a ARE utility topper on it.
    DSC00816_zpsa4e4af98_9c55ea87f9fed56db450c884ca333b49382a3279.jpg

I also use the big buddy in my main tent, a Big Horn 2. And a little buddy in the crapper tent and shower tent.
    snipercamping-1_a1bbfecc8de73124349d9a2d5c48f640cf62f338.jpg

But these tents are well ventilated, you HAVE to get the condensation out of the tent when camping in the winter or you will be soaked.

And when it is really cold I do build a campfire in my tent. Inside the wood stove that is.
    017_8_64cadc7757dd3fde167ce50cf4525f8589958700.jpg

About time to upgrade to a four dog stove and burn coal though. Can't transfer wood in most states any more and I'd rather be hunting than gathering and cutting wood. I also setup a combination CO\Smoke Alarm. Never had it go off with the buddies running but I have with the wood stove burning.

18. Nov 4, 2013 at 1:23 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    Wear hats, fleece beanies. This is where you lose most of your heat.

Wear thin thermals (like silk) in the evening and while in the sleeping bags.

Layers...

19. Nov 4, 2013 at 1:28 PM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    The fire in your underwear? You might need an ointment, friend.

20. Nov 4, 2013 at 1:31 PM
    DeeKay21

DeeKay21 Lieutenant Dan.

Member:
    Nevada/Utah
    Vehicle:
    06' TRD Sport 4x4
    Space heaters are nice but just know that most of them draw a good amount of power so make sure you have a good power supply.

Products Discussed in

To Top