Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Space heater for a (4) person tent

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-03-2013, 08:51 PM   #21
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mxpatriot View Post
Be very careful with heaters in tents. If they get knocked over, they can catch things on fire. Also have to worry about oxygen and all that.

Biggest thing is to insulate yourself from the ground. Don't skimp on the sleeping pad. Go to bed dry, and ensure you are dress appropriately for your type of sleeping bag (some of the colder temp rated bags will not work well if you are dressed in thick clothing).
I'd say dont dress at all. My wife makes this mistake every time we got out camping. She uses my -40 bag and I'm in my 5 degree with just shorts on and she's bundled up like shes sleeping outside. I'm ALWAYS warm and shes consistently cold in temps that are just impossible to be chilled at in a -40 bag. I've used that same bag in colder than -40 and it still kept me warm.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:03 PM   #22
Fluffer
username is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: bullet sponge
username's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbacher View Post
I'd say dont dress at all. My wife makes this mistake every time we got out camping. She uses my -40 bag and I'm in my 5 degree with just shorts on and she's bundled up like shes sleeping outside. I'm ALWAYS warm and shes consistently cold in temps that are just impossible to be chilled at in a -40 bag. I've used that same bag in colder than -40 and it still kept me warm.
When I was in the army they made us use these stupid tent half things and sleep in the mud for a training exercise. My buddy decides to crawl in his fart sack fully clothed, with boots on in case we have to get up quickly and play army in the middle of the night. (Ft Sill, Oklahoma in Feb, temps in the low teens) I told him it was stupid, but he wouldn't listen (hillbilly from Arkansas). The next morning he said he couldn't feel his feet. Being a good buddy I helped him take his boots off to warm up his feet, but they were really hard to get off and I wrestled with them. His socks were frozen to his feet, and when I peeled the one off his right foot three little blackened toes came with it. We had a little cry and off to the ER he went, and I never saw him again.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:06 PM   #23
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I know a lot of women that are cold natured. On the other hand I love sleeping in the cold. Just slept in 20* a few weeks ago.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:08 PM   #24
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Lol yup, i came about an hour away from losing both feet completely to frostbite. Had to cut my shoes off as they were literally frozen solid. Punched through the snowpack to a running creek on a deceptively warm morning hike that turned into a 20 hour heli rescue for myself. Lame. My circulation has been the biggest loss. It takes about 3 months for a small cut to heal just because theres so little bloodflow to my feet.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:12 PM   #25
Purveyor of Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman614 View Post
I know a lot of women that are cold natured. On the other hand I love sleeping in the cold. Just slept in 20* a few weeks ago.
Thats not cold
Alaska man. Alaska.

Jk jk
Old 11-03-2013, 09:15 PM   #26
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thats not cold
Alaska man. Alaska.

Jk jk
I didn't say make your balls crawl into your stomach cold.
It's the best we got here.

Old 11-03-2013, 09:31 PM   #28
Purveyor of Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman614 View Post
I didn't say make your balls crawl into your stomach cold.
It's the best we got here.

Lol thats awesome. It is amazing the differences in tolerance people have based on geography. Put me in the heat and I'm useless and miserable. Anything above 75 and I turn into a complainer. Hahaha we wentto nyc a few years ago and our favorite place was the Burton snowboard shop because they had a refrigerated room to test out the outerwear. My wife and I just went in with our t-shirts and shorts and hung out for about an hour at a time. I'm sure we looked ridiculous, but it was almost 90 outside!! Thats just ungodly.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:37 PM   #29
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
When I was in the army they made us use these stupid tent half things and sleep in the mud for a training exercise.
Shelter-half

The army taught me that burning firewood is bad, but covering yourself with it to keep warm is okay.

OP, I've used a Big Buddy heater in a large tent (8 person) with no problems. When car camping, we use cots, pads, and sleeping bags, so there's no need to heat the tent overnight, even at a winter 14ers camp. The heater is nice to have for waking up in the morning, or when active in the tent.

Your 4 person tent may be too crowded to use a heater safely.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:23 AM   #30
TAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Petros "Peter" AGE: 41
TAC1's Tacoma Gallery
Hello folks,

Thank you ALL for your responses.

Some were sad,
Some were funny,
All were informative.

north Florida in January can get cold but I think that with Long Johns & sleeping bags (a friend of mine with experience advised me on the long johns) I should be good.

Thanks again everyone.

Oh, thanks for the link Biowheelin.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:38 AM   #31
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
I've always used a Coleman propane lantern for heat in my tents when camping. I hang it on the center support so it can't get tipped over and puts out enough heat to take the chill out of the air. It's dual purpose, light and heat. I usually set it up in the tent 10 - 15 minutes before I'm ready to turn in for the night. Once I'm in and ready to go to sleep, I turn the lantern off and rely on my sleeping bag and mat to keep me warm. I would not trust a heater overnight.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:41 AM   #32
MTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shedMTgirl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Weesa
MTgirl's Tacoma Gallery
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the safety issue of having a heat source in an enclosed area that is filled with flammable materials. Ever see a sleeping bag burn? Its not pretty. And what about carbon monoxide?

First off what type of tent do you have? 3 season? 4 season? And what about sleeping pads? and bags? What is the temperature rating on them?
I don't like to get cold at night either but I've learned how to pack efficiently over the years for a range of weather conditions since the weather here in MT can change in a heartbeat.

The first step is getting a tent that appropriate for your weather - a 3 season tent should be fine for FL. Size is important too. You want everyone to have enough room to stretch out and be comfortable but you don't want the tent to be oversized - the larger the tent the colder you will all be. Smaller tents will maintain a comfortable temp with just your body heat.
Sleeping pads are next. The foam ones that look like yoga mats are crap and don't provide much insulation or cushion. Get a nice self inflating pad like a thermarest. They're light, thin, super insulated and comfy. I got one a few years ago and wish I had gotten it much sooner - I had never been so comfortable sleeping in a tent before!
Bags are next. My rule of thumb is a 20* buffer between the temperature rating of the bag and the forecasted overnight low temp (ex. if the forecast says 40* at night then you want a 20* or lower bag). I have both a -10* and a +15* bag depending on the season. Most summer nights here get into the 30's or 40's in the mountains and I'm perfectly comfortable in my +15*. The -10* only comes out when the forecast is in the teens or lower.
PJ's are the final piece of the puzzle. Invest in some nice thermal underoos - synthetic or wool is best - and wool socks and you'll be good to go.

A few more tips if you're worried about the "cold": If you've got to go #1 in the middle of the night do it, don't wait. Having a full bladder will actually deplete your body heat faster than braving the cold for a few minutes while you're out of your tent/bag. Store your clothes for the next day in the bottom of your bag overnight. When you wake up your clean clothes will be warm and not frosty. And if you're cold when you wake up get moving! Jog in place, do some jumping jacks...whatever you feel like to get your blood moving. Stay moderately active and you'll stay warm. Keep a few polar fleece blankets handy in case you need to throw them over your bags for a little more warmth, don't use heavy blankets that will compress the sleeping bag. The loft of the stuffing of the bag is what gives you the warmth, flattening it out will make you colder.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:10 AM   #33
NorthWest Member
J88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonnie
J88logue's Tacoma Gallery
^^^^ ummm yeah. I think he just want's a space heater for him and the kids. He's not gonna camp on the top of Everest.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:12 AM   #34
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Mr Heater buddy.
works great. safe as long as you are careful.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:25 AM   #35
Purveyor of Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTgirl View Post
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the safety issue of having a heat source in an enclosed area that is filled with flammable materials. Ever see a sleeping bag burn? Its not pretty. And what about carbon monoxide?

First off what type of tent do you have? 3 season? 4 season? And what about sleeping pads? and bags? What is the temperature rating on them?
I don't like to get cold at night either but I've learned how to pack efficiently over the years for a range of weather conditions since the weather here in MT can change in a heartbeat.

The first step is getting a tent that appropriate for your weather - a 3 season tent should be fine for FL. Size is important too. You want everyone to have enough room to stretch out and be comfortable but you don't want the tent to be oversized - the larger the tent the colder you will all be. Smaller tents will maintain a comfortable temp with just your body heat.
Sleeping pads are next. The foam ones that look like yoga mats are crap and don't provide much insulation or cushion. Get a nice self inflating pad like a thermarest. They're light, thin, super insulated and comfy. I got one a few years ago and wish I had gotten it much sooner - I had never been so comfortable sleeping in a tent before!
Bags are next. My rule of thumb is a 20* buffer between the temperature rating of the bag and the forecasted overnight low temp (ex. if the forecast says 40* at night then you want a 20* or lower bag). I have both a -10* and a +15* bag depending on the season. Most summer nights here get into the 30's or 40's in the mountains and I'm perfectly comfortable in my +15*. The -10* only comes out when the forecast is in the teens or lower.
PJ's are the final piece of the puzzle. Invest in some nice thermal underoos - synthetic or wool is best - and wool socks and you'll be good to go.

A few more tips if you're worried about the "cold": If you've got to go #1 in the middle of the night do it, don't wait. Having a full bladder will actually deplete your body heat faster than braving the cold for a few minutes while you're out of your tent/bag. Store your clothes for the next day in the bottom of your bag overnight. When you wake up your clean clothes will be warm and not frosty. And if you're cold when you wake up get moving! Jog in place, do some jumping jacks...whatever you feel like to get your blood moving. Stay moderately active and you'll stay warm. Keep a few polar fleece blankets handy in case you need to throw them over your bags for a little more warmth, don't use heavy blankets that will compress the sleeping bag. The loft of the stuffing of the bag is what gives you the warmth, flattening it out will make you colder.

At least 4 posts mention the danger.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:25 AM   #36
rockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
rockgecko03's Tacoma Gallery
I'm surprised no one has mentioned it, but a regular air mattress like you use in a house will suck away all your heat when it's cold. A mattress like a thermorest has a foam core. The primary reason for the foam core is to insulate.

For instance, if it's 20 degrees outside, the air inside the mattress before you lay on it is about 20 degrees. It's like laying on a big ice cube. It will suck your heat away from you all night as you lay on it.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:28 AM   #37
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
[...]
Safety concerns were mentioned more than once.

OP, sounds like you've got a handle on it. Have fun, and please post some photos when you're back.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:29 AM   #38
Purveyor of Fun

The air IS warmer than the ground though, so in that sense, you will be warmer, just not as warm as you could be.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:32 AM   #39
Gaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
Gaunt596's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

I see what your getting at but the MR. buddy heaters are specifically designed for use in tents. it has an automatic cutoff for oxygen depletion that is well above the minimum safe level, and i can attest to the fact that if the thing isnt within 5 degrees of level it will cutoff, and you damn near have to kick the thing like a football to knock it over. as far as lighting sleeping bags one fire, as long as you don't press the bag on the metal grille you should be fine. a little common sense goes a long way with those things.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:38 AM   #40
rockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrockgecko03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ben
rockgecko03's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The air IS warmer than the ground though, so in that sense, you will be warmer, just not as warm as you could be.
Initially, yes. However, if you lay directly on the ground, you're body is now heating the ground area the size of your body. With an air mattress, you're body heat is dispersed and is now heating the air inside the mattress and essentially heating the ground area equal to the dimensions of the mattress.

Took my wife forever to trust me on this one. She would sleep on the air mattress and I would sleep directly on the ground without a pad to prove the point. I always slept better. The day she finally tried it, she was pissed at me because it was somehow my fault she was always cold before, haha.

Products Discussed in this Thread