Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Space heater for a (4) person tent

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-04-2013, 10:40 AM   #41
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage View Post
No one will think you are awesome if you light a campfire in your tent.
!!!

+1
Old 11-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #42
Master Baiter
jethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shedjethro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Geoff
jethro's Tacoma Gallery
As an ice fisherman who has used Mr. Buddy heaters for well over 20 years, I'm horrified someone would consider using one inside a tent. Unless it's a wall tent. Don't confuse a low O2 sensor with it being safe for CO2- not the same thing. I won't continue... just no- don't use a buddy heater in a nylon tent with a nylon floor. Christ.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:06 PM   #43
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
http://youtu.be/JmzuRXLzqKk

Hitler used a heater in a nylon tent. You don't want to be like Hitler, do you?

Good grief. I've yet to see a three season tent that'd present ANY risk of CO or CO2 poisoning from a heater. There's usually so much mesh in the tent body that even a light wind will blow through the whole tent. Fire hazard is a risk, especially in a small tent, which is what several people have mentioned.

In my ultra-dangerous use of a Big Buddy heater inside a large tent, I put the heater on a steel pan, make sure nothing is within 3' of it, leave the 20 lb propane tank outside, and don't sleep with the heater on. I'd write of the military's death defying, decades long use of gasoline/diesel/coal/wood fueled stoves inside tents, but I think it may be too scary for some members.

For the record, I don't believe the OP wants to heat his tent with a lump of plutonium, either.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:09 PM   #44
Cold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MMC(SW) USN Ret.
Name: Mike
Cold Iron's Tacoma Gallery
It has been a long time since I've camped in Fl. but DolphinJohn hit the nail on the head. Most campgrounds down there used to have electricity available and a small electric space heater will go a long ways. I use one if I am staying at an organized campground with a girlfriend that demands "civilization". Also use one at a small campsite near the BWCA which I use as a base camp when hunting just the dog and I for a few days staying in my trailer with a ARE utility topper on it.

I also use the big buddy in my main tent, a Big Horn 2. And a little buddy in the crapper tent and shower tent.

But these tents are well ventilated, you HAVE to get the condensation out of the tent when camping in the winter or you will be soaked.

And when it is really cold I do build a campfire in my tent. Inside the wood stove that is.

About time to upgrade to a four dog stove and burn coal though. Can't transfer wood in most states any more and I'd rather be hunting than gathering and cutting wood. I also setup a combination CO\Smoke Alarm. Never had it go off with the buddies running but I have with the wood stove burning.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:12 PM   #45
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

^ Man, talk about living on the edge!
Old 11-04-2013, 02:23 PM   #46
Glitterdick
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Wear hats, fleece beanies. This is where you lose most of your heat.

Wear thin thermals (like silk) in the evening and while in the sleeping bags.

Layers...
Old 11-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #47
Backdoor Commentator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
Wear hats, fleece beanies. This is where you lose most of your heat.

Wear thin thermals (like silk) in the evening and while in the sleeping bags.

Layers...
That's good advice, but I always try to leave some gaps to allow the fire to breathe better.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:27 PM   #48
SUPER MOD
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jethro View Post
As an ice fisherman who has used Mr. Buddy heaters for well over 20 years, I'm horrified someone would consider using one inside a tent. Unless it's a wall tent. Don't confuse a low O2 sensor with it being safe for CO2- not the same thing. I won't continue... just no- don't use a buddy heater in a nylon tent with a nylon floor. Christ.

they are made to be tent heaters.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:28 PM   #49
Glitterdick
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
That's good advice, but I always try to leave some gaps to allow the fire to breathe better.
The fire in your underwear? You might need an ointment, friend.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:31 PM   #50
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Space heaters are nice but just know that most of them draw a good amount of power so make sure you have a good power supply.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #51
Backdoor Commentator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scocar View Post
The fire in your underwear? You might need an ointment, friend.
No, not that. I'm still using what you gave me, for what you gave me.

I thought we were talking about making your family more fire friendly for group immolation. Guess not.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:33 PM   #52
Backdoor Commentator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
they are made to be tent heaters.
Christ wouldn't use a Buddy heater in a tent.
You want to be like Christ, don't you?
Old 11-04-2013, 03:03 PM   #53
SUPER MOD
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Christ wouldn't use a Buddy heater in a tent.
You want to be like Christ, don't you?

you drinkin agian?
Old 11-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #54
fxbrry is on a distinguished road
fxbrry's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by THNKTWCE View Post
I was thinking the same thing.

We camped out last night, and it reached 39 degrees. I was actually hot a couple of times.

Invest in some good sleepbags, and sleeping pads and you will be warmer than you think.

Don't forget you can buy the hose to attach to it to a 20lb tank.

I got the bigger buddy heater for $120 at tractor supply. I'll take the extra heat for only $20 more.

I bought the buddy heater and extra chord from tractor supply. It works great. I connect it to my 5 gallon grill propane tank and leave the tank outside and run the hose inside. It stays really warm throughout the night and is safe for in tent use. No worries about gas poison.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #55
Glitterdick

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No, not that. I'm still using what you gave me, for what you gave me.

I thought we were talking about making your family more fire friendly for group immolation. Guess not.
Actually, if there is any left, please sent it back. Soon.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:05 PM   #56
Cold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shedCold Iron is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MMC(SW) USN Ret.
Name: Mike
Cold Iron's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxbrry View Post
I bought the buddy heater and extra chord from tractor supply. It works great. I connect it to my 5 gallon grill propane tank and leave the tank outside and run the hose inside. It stays really warm throughout the night and is safe for in tent use. No worries about gas poison.
I also have the large tank adapter and run the big buddy on it using 20 lb. tanks. My tent is made for a wood stove, so I put the tank outside also and run the hose under the tent and up through the stove zip out.

2 problems I have had with using propane (neither applicable to Fl. LOL) is even a 20 lb. tank isn't large enough when it gets really cold out, they will freeze up on you. The other is the low oxygen sensor will trip at higher elevations in Co. and the damn thing will not stay lit. There was a company that made replacement sensors for awhile but pretty sure the lawyers got to them and they are no longer made.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:31 PM   #57
Backdoor Commentator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Iron View Post
2 problems I have had with using propane (neither applicable to Fl. LOL) is even a 20 lb. tank isn't large enough when it gets really cold out, they will freeze up on you. The other is the low oxygen sensor will trip at higher elevations in Co. and the damn thing will not stay lit.
That's been my experience camping around Leadville, CO. I just zipped my down bag a little higher and watched my friends bitch.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:52 PM   #58
jw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
I would never, ever suggest someone to stick one of these heaters in their tents. If it was a life or death emergency then I would say do so. By using this in a tent you're risking a fire, someone to get burt.

I would suggest getting a goose down sleeping blanket. Clothing, blankets with wool. Stay away from cotton(keeps in the cold and wet and removes the warmth). Do some more research online, get some camping books and educate yourself. Layer your clothes. You can always put more on then take more off.

I'm curious to why you're going camping in January? Why wouldn't you go during a warmer time of the year? Winter camping(even though you don't really get a winter) isn't really for everyone.

Checkout Mountain Equipment Co-op.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:59 PM   #59
Backdoor Commentator

Old 11-04-2013, 05:02 PM   #60
BELT FED 2OZ. PULL
river rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shedriver rat 69 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: River Boats,Mike's & PBR'S Viet-Nam 68&69
Name: Jim
river rat 69's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off...ml#post7660860

Products Discussed in this Thread