Delta00's 2002 Tacoma 4WD

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Space heater for a (4) person tent

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-06-2013, 07:47 AM   #101
The Safety Guy
BDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brad
BDBSoCal's Tacoma Gallery
Clearly camping with a truck offers so many more options for "stuff" than backpacking. When backpacking I used a "big" 3-person tent that could be heated with a candle inside a candle lantern. Small backpacking tents seem to heat up some with just heat from people.

From what I've read the Mr. Buddy heaters are engineered with a lot more safety features than basic propane heaters used to have. Like anything else in safety, with the right skills one person can be safe while an unskilled person is not. A canvas tent is far more flame resistant than nylon, and it was generally large canvas tents that had coal stoves and such.

REI has a bunch of videos that may help. They are my preferred supplier for all things camping and cycling. I have been looking for my backpacking Therm-a-rest but can't find it. A buddy of mine is an engineer for them. Good stuff.

I don't think that anyone mentioned that you are looking for a mummy bag. They are toasty warm for winter camping. Not much room. Pack small.

Another consideration is that the bigger safety issue is sleeping in the presence of combustion. You may not need the heater while in the sleeping bag. But perhaps it can make getting up in the morning nicer.

That said, in man my winter camping, I've never brought a heater.

I am reminded of when Kate plus 8 visited Sarah Palin in Alaska. The kids loved being there in the rain. But Kate had a meltdown. YMMV.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:53 AM   #102
Runn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud ofRunn0r has much to be proud of

Runn0r's Tacoma Gallery
I figured Florida would be pretty warm in the winter. I camped in VA in early Nov @ like 20 degrees which was not bad with a good sleeping bag.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:04 AM   #103
WCGFY
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gentleman's Sausage
scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
I'll leave the hat discussion to others.

In addition to Cold Iron's wisdom, a Luggable Loo is another bit of gear that can keep the family happy, especially your wife. I've started taking mine on trips without the family for the convenience and to better adhere to LNT principles. OP, check out that site for some tips on lessening your impact on wild places, and a good way to instill that concern in your sons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis0076 View Post
I f ing hate the luggable loo. We have one too. That is one shitty job to deal w that. Especially when no one bothers to tell you it's getting full.
Quote:
The only problem I ever have with the Double Doodie Waste Bags is when someone uses the bucket as a trash can, leading to too big a load to stuff into the outer, zip lock bag. It helps to pull as much of the inner bag outside the seat as possible so there's a clean section to handle.
Quote:
I hate them.
People should dig catholes.
Quote:
Without that bucket, I doubt I would've gotten the family away from the formal campgrounds I've grown to hate.

Catholes work, but not everyone enjoys squatting over a hole as much as you do. In busier areas, it also can create a mess over time, which is why some government managed areas are starting to require the collection of human waste. I've been around enough gross stuff that as long as it's not in direct contact with me, I really don't care. I'm not saying I enjoy emptying the bucket once a day, but for my uses, it's a good, affordable system with no drawbacks.
Being backpackers, we do catholes in general, but now with the teardrop, I might consider a Cleanwaste, which was highly recommended from the trailer builder. Looks like bag-handling may be a bit tidier.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:12 AM   #104
WCGFY
scocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shedscocar is one of the sharper tools in the shed

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
just dont lean over to wipe on that one.. you will end up on the ground with the contents of the toillet. 3 legs is not the best design.
LOL. Actually a tripod is the most stable possible setup for uneven ground.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:24 AM   #105
sdsyver is on a distinguished road

sdsyver's Tacoma Gallery
Just invest in some good sleeping bags and mats as others have said. Will serve you better in the long run. Any heat source other than your bodies is bad news in a nylon tent.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:25 AM   #106
TAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Petros "Peter" AGE: 41
TAC1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsyver View Post
Just invest in some good sleeping bags and mats as others have said. Will serve you better in the long run. Any heat source other than your bodies is bad news in a nylon tent.
I'll take your advice.

Thank you
Old 11-06-2013, 09:40 AM   #107
sdsyver is on a distinguished road

sdsyver's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAC1 View Post
I'll take your advice.

Thank you
Lots of good places to get what you are looking for. I know R.E.I. in the U.S. is a great spot. The thicker your sleeping mats (not the big air beds. they suck in the cold) the better insulated from the ground you will be. As far as sleeping bags well that will take you a bit of research to decide what will work best for you. My wife and I use barrel bags (zipped together) rated to -10C / 14F for most of the year and if I get colder I just sleep with a toque and some long undies on. We have a mummy bag for our daughter which is rated to -15C / 5F. Lots to look at and research but it will be worth once you are out there and nice and toasty warm. Have fun with your kids.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:45 AM   #108
WCGFY

scocar's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You think im funny?
ok, report back here after you fall over when you wipe your ass.. or report back here and let me know im an idiot... either way.. let me know. Ive never tried it, just read reviews of people complaining about that.

I was laughing at the image you created. Yes, people do mention it can be tippy if you aren't careful, which I think would be somewhat a given for the operator when shitting on a folding portable toilet seat on anything less than a level, hard floor. So maybe a peice of plywood would be in order. I don't know, I have never used it, and I heard good things about it. Maybe instead of rolling to the side to wipe your ass, lift your ass off the seat first.

It does look like they could improve on this by redesigning it with two legs in front, one in back.

If, perchance, I do get a chance to gather empirical evidence that contradicts you suppostion, I shall be delighted to post up and let you knwo that your an idiot. And you know that's a given!

But now we digress, and it seems we should create another thread on How to Shit in the Woods...becaues we wouldn't want to mess up the OP's tred here.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:06 AM   #109
jw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
Nice that this thread went from a thread about camping and heaters to crapping in a bucket. Only here at TW. Take that other truck forums!
Old 11-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #110
jw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjw1983 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Jason
jw1983's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
so,
what do you use to crap in when camping?
Outhouse. But if I was camping out in the middle of nowhere where there wasn't any outhouses then I would crap in a hole. Just have to make sure that it's not near the campsite, water source etc.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:31 PM   #111
Utard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shedUtard is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
Utard's Tacoma Gallery
People die from putting heaters in tents.

I camp in 20-30 degree weather all the time in Utah and never have a problem.

Just man up or get some extra blankets.

Like everyone else said get a good mat of some sort to insulate you from the ground. Not how well it works for other people but I find the less clothing I wear to bed the warmer I stay at night camping. And I am over the whole mummy bag thing I just take an old bulky sleep bag for underneath and blankets for on top of me.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:23 AM   #113
FNG
THNKTWCE will become famous soon enoughTHNKTWCE will become famous soon enough
THNKTWCE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
so,
what do you use to crap in when camping?
A tree to prop against, and leaves to wipe with.

Products Discussed in this Thread