Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Space heater for a (4) person tent

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-03-2013, 07:35 PM   #1
TAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAC1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Petros "Peter" AGE: 41
TAC1's Tacoma Gallery
Space heater for a (4) person tent

Hello Forum,

I'll be camping (first time ever) with my wife & 2 boys in Citrus Florida in January. Can anyone recommend a good, effective, & safe space heater for my tent?

Thanks.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:37 PM   #2
NorthWest Member
J88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shedJ88logue is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonnie
J88logue's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAC1 View Post
Hello Forum,

I'll be camping (first time ever) with my wife & 2 boys in Citrus Florida in January. Can anyone recommend a good, effective, & safe space heater for my tent?

Thanks.
I do not have any recommendations for a good space heater - just wanted to say hi and have a great time enjoying the freedom of nature!
Old 11-03-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
Miley loves you
302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

302's Tacoma Gallery
Tent, space heater, Florida... Something is wrong with this picture.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:42 PM   #4
RAT Products
isu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shedisu2014 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryan
isu2014's Tacoma Gallery
A candle should work.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:43 PM   #5
Vantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Vantage's Tacoma Gallery
I have a portable buddy I use in my tent trailer. Any Cabella's or Camping world will have them. Wal Mart also stocks them at the start of the season.

Mine was ~$100.

http://www.mrheater.com/ProductFamily.aspx?catid=41

They get VERY hot if needed, easy to fire up, and have a low oxygen shut off.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:48 PM   #6
Miley loves you
302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed302 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

302's Tacoma Gallery
Please just use a campfire. The kids will still think you are awesome this way.

Old 11-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #7
FNG
THNKTWCE will become famous soon enoughTHNKTWCE will become famous soon enough
THNKTWCE's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 View Post
Tent, space heater, Florida... Something is wrong with this picture.
I was thinking the same thing.

We camped out last night, and it reached 39 degrees. I was actually hot a couple of times.

Invest in some good sleepbags, and sleeping pads and you will be warmer than you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage View Post
I have a portable buddy I use in my tent trailer. Any Cabella's or Camping world will have them. Wal Mart also stocks them at the start of the season.

Mine was ~$100.

http://www.mrheater.com/ProductFamily.aspx?catid=41

They get VERY hot if needed, easy to fire up, and have a low oxygen shut off.

Don't forget you can buy the hose to attach to it to a 20lb tank.

I got the bigger buddy heater for $120 at tractor supply. I'll take the extra heat for only $20 more.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:50 PM   #8
Vantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shedVantage is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Luke
Vantage's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 View Post
Please just use a campfire. The kids will still think you are awesome this way.

He cleary says it is for inside his tent.

No one will think you are awesome if you light a campfire in your tent.
Old 11-03-2013, 07:57 PM   #9
Fluffer
username is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shedusername is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: bullet sponge
username's Tacoma Gallery
I use the Mr heater too, the smaller single bottle one. It will burn through the night (about 8 hours) on one can. I use it in my travel trailer when dry camping and it's in the teens to keep the pipes from freezing. Pro tip: In subzero temps turn off your fridge and put anything you don't want to freeze in there. Exploding beers are hard to clean up when it's below zero. Also hormel chili is good to about 10F before it pops, and squeeze cheese stops working at 20F.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:06 PM   #10
Miley loves you

302's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage View Post
He cleary says it is for inside his tent.

No one will think you are awesome if you light a campfire in your tent.
He also said it's his first time camping. I've personally never heard of someone using a space heater in a tent. I would not think it would be very safe for a small 4 person tent.

I clearly did not mean campfire in the tent.

I would think 4 people in a tent would get hot from body heat. OP is from miami, I guess he just likes it hot.

I personally live in the north east and would never use a space heater in a tent. Just cray, but who am I....

Old 11-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #11
BioWheelin is on a distinguished road

BioWheelin's Tacoma Gallery
Personally, I agree that good sleeping bags/pads will help you a lot more than a heater if you're in a tent. 4 people in a tent will also provide a little extra heat as well.

Imagine if your heater ran out in the middle of the night... that leaves you and three other very unhappy people to deal with.

http://www.campmor.com/slumberjack-l...gpa=pla&ci_kw=

I've used this bag and it's just fine for the occasional camper. Definitely not something to take backpacking or to rely on for more than a few dozen trips but it gets the job done. In toasty style.

Thermarest is my choice for pads, you'll have to decide for yourself which you want to buy. The one that has served me for more than a decade has been discontinued.

Good luck, plan ahead, and you'll do fine.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:31 PM   #12
hanrock is on a distinguished road

Name: craig
hanrock's Tacoma Gallery
good sleeping bags and thick pads or foam to keep you off the ground, keep dry and all will b well heaters use up oxygen can b a bad thing.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:36 PM   #13
Miley loves you

302's Tacoma Gallery
Great family time snuggling to keep warm.
Attached Thumbnails
Space heater for a (4) person tent-image.jpg  
Old 11-03-2013, 08:37 PM   #14
The Safety Guy
BDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brad
BDBSoCal's Tacoma Gallery
The buddy heaters are interesting.

That said, even in snow caves I've never used a space heater. Better to use sleeping bags, a good foam mattress, and maybe bring along a couple of wool blankets just in case. Use your clothing and bags to stay warm. If you rely on a heater with thin bags/clothing, you are in trouble if you run low on fuel.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:39 PM   #15
FTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
FTD's Tacoma Gallery
Don't use a heater. They're dangerous in tents, period. If you want to be comfy campers, do the following:

1. Get off the ground! Air/foam mattress good (I love the new kind that self-inflate), cots way better. Off the ground = happy. Cabelas sells some kick-ass cots.
2. Doesn't sound like you're backpacking, so weight isn't a consideration. Get everyone a nice, heavy cotton sleeping bag. You may well all be too hot, but easier to deal with that then too cold. Which you won't be. It's Florida. Also, what the hell, bring pillows.
3. Put the clothes you're going to wear the next morning in the sleeping bag with you, that way you're not waking up and putting on cold clothes, which sucks.

Have fun!
Old 11-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #16
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same on as username. Great heaters. They have tipover protection and low oxygen shutoffs.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:40 PM   #17
DolphinJohn is just really niceDolphinJohn is just really niceDolphinJohn is just really niceDolphinJohn is just really nice

DolphinJohn's Tacoma Gallery
I live in Key West and camp up in north and central Florida a lot in the winter. I've never needed a heater, I just have a 0 degree sleeping bag and an air mattress and I'm fine. I've woken up to frost on my bike seat but nice and snuggly warm in the sleeping bag.
My friend sometimes uses a small electric heater with a fan. If we're at the campground there is power so he uses an extension cord. At races with no power he uses a generator.
I wouldn't want any kind of fuel burning heater in the tent with my family (if I had one).
Just get good bags, pads, extra blankets. Have fun!!

Old 11-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #18
distinguished bongo truck art critic
Mxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shedMxpatriot is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Military Police Platoon Leader
Name: Chase
Mxpatriot's Tacoma Gallery
Be very careful with heaters in tents. If they get knocked over, they can catch things on fire. Also have to worry about oxygen and all that.

Biggest thing is to insulate yourself from the ground. Don't skimp on the sleeping pad. Go to bed dry, and ensure you are dress appropriately for your type of sleeping bag (some of the colder temp rated bags will not work well if you are dressed in thick clothing).
Old 11-03-2013, 08:44 PM   #19
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
The mr buddy line is safe for indoor use, but in an enclosed space that size I wouldn't do it. Me personally, that is. It may be fine. A friend of mine put his under his CO detector all night and it never chirped. Granted thats reading the entire room so...take it as you will. As someone who routinely camps year round and has for years I'll echo the advice of a good bag and an even better mat. If weight and size isnt an issue get old military issue bags. Giant bulky things but they sure are warm and comfortable. If weight is an issue grab a down bag, something with a good name behind it. I only use Montbell gear for camping. Japanese keep me driving and they sure as heck keep me warm and dry. The purpose of a mattress is to insulate you from the ground below. Thats its FIRST priority. Making you comfortable is secondary to that so get something that accomplishes the former VERY well and you'll find that you'll be more comfortable than if you go with something thats just plush.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:45 PM   #20
DolphinJohn is just really niceDolphinJohn is just really niceDolphinJohn is just really niceDolphinJohn is just really nice

DolphinJohn's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTD View Post
Don't use a heater. They're dangerous in tents, period. If you want to be comfy campers, do the following:

1. Get off the ground! Air/foam mattress good (I love the new kind that self-inflate), cots way better. Off the ground = happy. Cabelas sells some kick-ass cots.
2. Doesn't sound like you're backpacking, so weight isn't a consideration. Get everyone a nice, heavy cotton sleeping bag. You may well all be too hot, but easier to deal with that then too cold. Which you won't be. It's Florida. Also, what the hell, bring pillows.
3. Put the clothes you're going to wear the next morning in the sleeping bag with you, that way you're not waking up and putting on cold clothes, which sucks.

Have fun!
When you're from south Florida, north Florida gets cold in the winter.

But I agree with most everything else. Good down or synthetic bags, not cotton.

When I'm truck camping I use a regular air mattress like you'd use in your house for guests, I inflate it with a 12 volt pump that usually come with the mattress.

Products Discussed in this Thread