Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Need help deciding tires!

Old 11-04-2013, 01:03 PM   #21
Running For Mayor of TW
richardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
richardbui23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger24 View Post
Lemme guess, you were from the NW too?
nope born and raised texas all my life but those days that rained hard i was sideways lol. from 0 to speed is difficult gotta be very light on the throttle but highway speeds its pretty stable. its all about throttle control
Old 11-04-2013, 01:37 PM   #22
oldswab is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldswab is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldswab is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldswab is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldswab is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldswab is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldswab is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldswab is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldswab is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldswab is one of the sharper tools in the shedoldswab is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: ex-Navy, ex-ARNG, Yokosuka, Sandog, and Louisiana
Name: Jonathan
oldswab's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldowr View Post
I just mounted BFG rugged terrains on my '99. So far they're awesome, but I don't have any where to get off road. Check my gallery for pics
I had the Rugged Terrains on my '04. They're good on snow and pretty good on gravel as well. Bit noisy for my tastes.

I put Goodyear Wrangler Adventures all the way around on the '14 last week. Sweet silence, and they are very "grippy" on wet/dry pavement, even better than I remember the RT's being when they were new. I'm just hoping the GWA's do as well as the Rugged Terrains did in the snow.

Pics are in post number 8 if you're interested:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...adventure.html
Old 11-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #23
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger24 View Post
Those look great. By the looks of the pics, seems as if your having no trouble in snow and slouch conditions.
Not a bit, and I think OZ-T in Canada likes them too... and HE would know snow!
They were great in sand (beach and desert) as well as mud... Naturally, most driving is on pavement, and these tires are quiet at highway speed. I replaced them after 32,000 miles... they also looked new at 15,000 miles... but weared quickly in the final few thousand.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:50 AM   #24
PB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
PB65stang's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Not a bit, and I think OZ-T in Canada likes them too... and HE would know snow!
They were great in sand (beach and desert) as well as mud... Naturally, most driving is on pavement, and these tires are quiet at highway speed. I replaced them after 32,000 miles... they also looked new at 15,000 miles... but weared quickly in the final few thousand.
That's good to know about the accelerated mileage after awhile...I'll keep my eyes out for that. Ski season is starting here now, so in the next few months I'll get a lot better idea of how they do in hardpack/powder/ice/sleet, but in the couple 12 inch snows we had last April, they were great and I hardly needed 4WD. I will say, the one minor issue I have with them is that I did develop a little bit of a hum in them after 10,000 miles or so (stars at about 62 mph and goes away about 67). In my research, this was a comment I saw a few times. Honestly, it's so minor that it doesn't bother me (most of my driving is at either 30-40 mph or 70+), and I'm the only one that even hears it. And yes, they've been rotated/balanced. Like I said - it's nothing to deter me from buying them again.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:48 AM   #25
Jrahn0822 is a glorious beacon of lightJrahn0822 is a glorious beacon of lightJrahn0822 is a glorious beacon of lightJrahn0822 is a glorious beacon of lightJrahn0822 is a glorious beacon of lightJrahn0822 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Jake
Jrahn0822's Tacoma Gallery
I got some dick cepek mud countries and they are amazing in all conditions. I have had bfg all terrains and these blow them out of the water plus they were 35 bucks cheaper a tire.
Attached Thumbnails
Need help deciding tires!-uploadfromtaptalk1383760070104.jpg  
Old 11-06-2013, 10:37 AM   #26
Dodger24 is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Name: Julian
Dodger24's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardbui23 View Post
nope born and raised texas all my life but those days that rained hard i was sideways lol. from 0 to speed is difficult gotta be very light on the throttle but highway speeds its pretty stable. its all about throttle control
True, the amount it rains here. I gotta have control.
Old 11-06-2013, 10:46 AM   #27
Don't mind me, I'm only slightly stupid
HamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shedHamerMan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Andrew
HamerMan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardbui23 View Post
go with duratracs BFG's have iffy traction when wet. ask me how i know lol
I did a 360 on asphalt with the BFGs. Not too much rain, but enough to make it slick. Scariest thing I've ever done unintentionally. Well.. Mostly unintentionally.. I may have had the rear diff locked
Old 11-06-2013, 10:47 AM   #28
Jrahn0822 is a glorious beacon of lightJrahn0822 is a glorious beacon of lightJrahn0822 is a glorious beacon of lightJrahn0822 is a glorious beacon of lightJrahn0822 is a glorious beacon of lightJrahn0822 is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Jake
Jrahn0822's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah bfg dont have a whole lot of siping. You'll want tires with a lot of siping for the rain.
Old 11-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #29
ZimTaco is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
ZimTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Kelly Safari TSR, theyre aggressive looking, quiet, and made by Goodyear, havent read anything bad about them, and no complaints so far from me.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #30
Mingecutter is on a distinguished road
Name: Shawn
Mingecutter's Tacoma Gallery
Take a look at the Toyo Open Country A/T II's. Similar to the Hankook Dynapro ATm's. The Toyo's have a 65K mile warranty on their P rated tire. Good luck with your choice.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:48 PM   #31
ToyTacosRule has a spectacular aura aboutToyTacosRule has a spectacular aura aboutToyTacosRule has a spectacular aura about
Name: Dane
ToyTacosRule's Tacoma Gallery
I have tried both tired. BFG A/T are great but lack in traction on wet pavement. Duratracs I completely loved. I would put another set of Duratracs on if I still had my Yota.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:19 PM   #32
Air Force:
I went to get a quote at Discount tires today. They quoted me 1100 for the Duratracs and they told me about these Yokohama ATS that would run around 800.

I'm pushing more for the Duratracs despite the prices.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:25 PM   #34
mathews8pt is on a distinguished road
mathews8pt's Tacoma Gallery
Check out the cooper at3s or the mastercraft axts. I've had the coopers on my wife's ram 1500 for 2.5 years and just replaced them with the axt's(similar tires). I also had the AT3s on my 02 DC Tacoma and they did great IMO.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:57 PM   #35
urbanplanner has a brilliant futureurbanplanner has a brilliant futureurbanplanner has a brilliant futureurbanplanner has a brilliant futureurbanplanner has a brilliant futureurbanplanner has a brilliant futureurbanplanner has a brilliant futureurbanplanner has a brilliant futureurbanplanner has a brilliant futureurbanplanner has a brilliant futureurbanplanner has a brilliant future
urbanplanner's Tacoma Gallery
I just replaced my 285 BFG AT with 265 Cooper ST Maxx. Couldn't be happier so far.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:18 PM   #36
Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanplanner View Post
I just replaced my 285 BFG AT with 265 Cooper ST Maxx. Couldn't be happier so far.

Ohhh, I like the look of those. Have you got to test them out of different terrains yet?
Old 11-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #37
cbRC4x4sr5 is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
cbRC4x4sr5's Tacoma Gallery
I'm running the Cooper st maxx in a 235/85-16

I've had them on my truck for around 10k miles.
The only thing I haven't had them in is snow, they have taken everything I have put them through with no problems.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #38
Drive it like a 4WD
Gabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGabassman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tyler
Gabassman's Tacoma Gallery
Check out the kelly safari tsr. Bad ass tire its an A/T but looks more like an M/T
Old 11-09-2013, 08:10 PM   #39
CaliBluTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliBluTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliBluTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliBluTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliBluTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliBluTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliBluTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliBluTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliBluTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliBluTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedCaliBluTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathanael
CaliBluTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Mickey Thompson MTZ's. On my second set. Got over 60,000 on the first set! Great tire for any terrain. I do alot of freeway driving to and they are not loud at all. Nice aggresive look

Old 11-09-2013, 08:22 PM   #40
My pee parts itch
dexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the sheddexterdog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

dexterdog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
nope born and raised texas all my life but those days that rained hard
We don't see the kind of rain you see in Texas. The Hankooks are a good choice and have great wet weather traction. My set went forty plus thousand miles. i am considering Duratracs for the FJ after the Toyos wear out.