Notices

Need help deciding tires!

Old 11-04-2013, 12:50 AM   #1
Dodger24 is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Name: Julian
Dodger24's Tacoma Gallery
Need help deciding tires!

So, here's the dl. I'm looking for new tires, I've had my eyes on Goodyear Duratracs or BFG A/T.

Basically, I want a tire that has good traction in both wet and snowy conditions. I do live in seattle. I do go off road at times, to get to fishing holes and up the mountains during winter seasons.

This truck is not my DD, but I do drive it long distances at times and I do tow trailers at times.

Whats my best option? I'm open for other brands of tires as well.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:59 AM   #2
Air Force:
Also, I don't have a lift.

I do want to go as large as possible with no lift.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:38 AM   #3
bbaggett is on a distinguished road

bbaggett's Tacoma Gallery
I like the look of the Duratracs a lot but Tire Rack says the best reviews (with 27 million miles logged) are the the Firestone Destination A/T.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:04 AM   #4
Eldowr will become famous soon enough

Air Force: Desk Sgt
Name: Donavon
Eldowr's Tacoma Gallery
I just mounted BFG rugged terrains on my '99. So far they're awesome, but I don't have any where to get off road. Check my gallery for pics
Old 11-04-2013, 05:44 AM   #5
nobescare is on a distinguished road
Name: Mark
nobescare's Tacoma Gallery
tire decision

i was recently trying to decide between the Duratracs/Territory (CDN) and General Grappler AT2's. ended up with the Generals.

i think you'll be happy with the 2 options you have selected as well.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:10 AM   #6
TicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tico
TicoTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger24 View Post
So, here's the dl. I'm looking for new tires, I've had my eyes on Goodyear Duratracs or BFG A/T.

Basically, I want a tire that has good traction in both wet and snowy conditions. I do live in seattle. I do go off road at times, to get to fishing holes and up the mountains during winter seasons.

This truck is not my DD, but I do drive it long distances at times and I do tow trailers at times.

Whats my best option? I'm open for other brands of tires as well.
I currently have the bfg at but the reason i got those was for rubbing issues. i dont rub with a 3 in lift and 33s. but with any other tire i would have. now the bfg ats are great but lack in wet conditions. i would personally either go with the duratracs or the grabber at2. both are a great all around tire....but i think the at2s treadlife is a lil longer and i think they are less noisy.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:23 AM   #7
Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TicoTRD View Post
I currently have the bfg at but the reason i got those was for rubbing issues. i dont rub with a 3 in lift and 33s. but with any other tire i would have. now the bfg ats are great but lack in wet conditions. i would personally either go with the duratracs or the grabber at2. both are a great all around tire....but i think the at2s treadlife is a lil longer and i think they are less noisy.
I've never really looked into the grapplers. Ill look them up. I guess I won't go with the BFG because I live in Seattle. Wet conditions are an everyday occurrence here.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:33 AM   #8
TicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shedTicoTRD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tico
TicoTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I've never really looked into the grapplers. Ill look them up. I guess I won't go with the BFG because I live in Seattle. Wet conditions are an everyday occurrence here.
yea i figured. and not the grapplers, the grabber at2. the grapplers are made by nitto, and the grabbers are made by general.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:10 AM   #9
99TRD is on a distinguished road

Navy:
99TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Don't forget the Bridgestone Duelers. When I was researching new tires, it came down to them and the BFG's. The reviews were fairly close and I decide on the Duelers. I couldn't be more pleased. They are great tires and I will definitely get them again.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:22 AM   #10
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Hankook Dynapro ATM... Great AT/Snow/Mud/Hwy tire. I had the P metric, not a lot of mileage out of them, so maybe try the LT?

Old 11-04-2013, 11:23 AM   #11
fouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shedfouillard13 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Riley
fouillard13's Tacoma Gallery
Duratrac!
Old 11-04-2013, 11:33 AM   #12
PB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shedPB65stang is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Patrick
PB65stang's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Hankook Dynapro ATM... Great AT/Snow/Mud/Hwy tire. I had the P metric, not a lot of mileage out of them, so maybe try the LT?

x2. I love these tires, and they might be my "default" choice next time I'm due. I also have the P-metric, and actually so far am having good luck with mileage. Got 15,000 on them so far and no noticeable wearing (I expect to get about 60,000 out of them). I'm 98% street, 2% trails (to get to trailheads for biking, hiking, etc.), so I am pretty easy on them, and so far they've handled the rain and snow great.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:46 AM   #13
Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TicoTRD View Post
yea i figured. and not the grapplers, the grabber at2. the grapplers are made by nitto, and the grabbers are made by general.
hahaha, I just figure that out right now. I'm liking these, they have a nice aggressive look
Old 11-04-2013, 11:49 AM   #14
Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99TRD View Post
Don't forget the Bridgestone Duelers. When I was researching new tires, it came down to them and the BFG's. The reviews were fairly close and I decide on the Duelers. I couldn't be more pleased. They are great tires and I will definitely get them again.
Great, Ill take a look at them
Old 11-04-2013, 11:52 AM   #15
Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post

Those look great. By the looks of the pics, seems as if your having no trouble in snow and slouch conditions.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:54 AM   #16
Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PB65stang View Post
x2. I love these tires, and they might be my "default" choice next time I'm due. I also have the P-metric, and actually so far am having good luck with mileage. Got 15,000 on them so far and no noticeable wearing (I expect to get about 60,000 out of them). I'm 98% street, 2% trails (to get to trailheads for biking, hiking, etc.), so I am pretty easy on them, and so far they've handled the rain and snow great.
I'm liking these, they seem to be much cheaper then the duratracs as well. Your pretty much in the same boat as I am, when it comes to tire wear. Ill definitely take a look at these.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #17
Quote:
hahaha, I just figure that out right now. I'm liking these, they have a nice aggressive look
crap my bad. don't even know what i bought. Grabber....... arghhh.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #18
General Grabber AT2

only problem is they don't come in P. for my size i went from a P245/75r/16 to the LT245/75r/16 E load.
Old 11-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #19
Running For Mayor of TW
richardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
richardbui23's Tacoma Gallery
go with duratracs BFG's have iffy traction when wet. ask me how i know lol
Old 11-04-2013, 01:00 PM   #20
Air Force:
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardbui23 View Post
go with duratracs BFG's have iffy traction when wet. ask me how i know lol
Lemme guess, you were from the NW too?