Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Newbtastic questions!

Old 09-20-2007, 12:30 AM   #1
WildcaTaco is on a distinguished road
WildcaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Newbtastic questions!

Just got myself a PreRunner super excited, first car I have actually saved up for and bought myself. Truck had 13k mi on it and was able to get away with tags and stuff at 16k so don't think I got screwed. I have a couple of questions about my new baby though, any recommendations for a top? I would really like to have a more secure bed and still have decent height so not so keen on tonneau covers. Is there a place where I can enter my VIN and get a list of any TSBs that would be affecting my truck? I plan on doing the following mods and am having trouble deciding on the order, stereo (stock to GPS, XM radio, and ipod direct connect), TRD CAI, all weather floormats, and finally neoprene seat covers. Leaning towards the stereo last due to costs involved and the royal pain messing around with stereos usually are. Looking forward to being around here more.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:39 AM   #2
I dub thee malicious!
007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed007Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mark
007Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 007Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by WildcaTaco View Post
Just got myself a PreRunner super excited, first car I have actually saved up for and bought myself. Truck had 13k mi on it and was able to get away with tags and stuff at 16k so don't think I got screwed. I have a couple of questions about my new baby though, any recommendations for a top? I would really like to have a more secure bed and still have decent height so not so keen on tonneau covers. Is there a place where I can enter my VIN and get a list of any TSBs that would be affecting my truck? I plan on doing the following mods and am having trouble deciding on the order, stereo (stock to GPS, XM radio, and ipod direct connect), TRD CAI, all weather floormats, and finally neoprene seat covers. Leaning towards the stereo last due to costs involved and the royal pain messing around with stereos usually are. Looking forward to being around here more.
First off - Welcome to TW!

Next - a top. Are you looking for a tonneau or a camper shell? If it is the latter, check these out...

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-long-bed.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/toy...-long-bed.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ap-photos.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...l-06-taco.html

It may not all apply to your truck, but you can read through these short threads and get some ideas.

As for the TSB info, here is a site with a list of them http://clem.mscd.edu/~reesegr/ . We are working to get something like that going on here soon.

And finally for the Stereo System upgrade, anything is better than the stock deck in my opinion. Here is a thread that will show you how to replace the deck in your Tacoma by yourself (DIY - Do-It-Yourself).

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...w-2nd-gen.html

Any other questions, feel free to ask. Don't forget to post some pics in the Photo Gallery!

Again, Welcome to TW!

Cheers!
Old 09-20-2007, 08:06 AM   #3
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome aboard. Listen to 007, he knows what he's talking about.... sometimes. Personally i dont have a problem with the factory deck and speakers. Actually just this weekend someone asked me if i had a sub, and i dont even have the JBL upgrade. I'm fine for now... although i would like the mp3 option
Old 09-20-2007, 08:49 AM   #4
Bluestreak is on a distinguished road

Bluestreak's Tacoma Gallery
sirrius works better in the northwest due to the location of the satellites, i personally have had both xm and sirrius, i really like sirrius better, just my opinion.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:41 AM   #5
WildcaTaco is on a distinguished road
WildcaTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for those links 007, those leer tops are looking mighty good. Specially since they don't drill (not on my new truck). The actual sound on the stock deck isn't what is bugging me its the lack of other stuff ipod direct hook up, satellite radio, and GPS. With wanting to add all of those features it didn't seem to make sense to me too add those 3 different items as extra items when I can just incorporate them into one item.
Old 09-22-2007, 11:15 PM   #6
Rich Swanner is on a distinguished road

Rich Swanner's Tacoma Gallery
I put in links to the three major cap firms( in those links provided). I like Leer, but I am used to them and the paint looks JUST like the trucks...Rich...