1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

experience with air suspension front and back?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 4x4 Ralph, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Nov 7, 2013 at 9:52 AM
    4x4 Ralph

4x4 Ralph [OP] Africa is not for sissies!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralph
    Southern Germany....nearby Stuttgart
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma access cab 4l auto, BMW X3 3l aut
    3" higher 2" spacers black bumper and front grill oil catch can rear diff breather mod TRD seat covers seat heating system LEER tonneau cover and and and
    I admit...I am a huge fan of air suspension...
    Planning to built my own canope and later a pop up camper an air suspension would have big advantages ... like taking off the canope...the camper etc

A lower riding height has advantages on tar roads...and a higher ride driving off-road (the Land Rover guys are not stupid if it comes to that...but the reliability of their air compressors ?!?!?!?!?:confused:)

Does anybody have experiences with air suspension conversion kits (front and back) and what would you recommend?
    :rolleyes:
    Thanks for any reply!!!!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  2. Nov 7, 2013 at 9:56 AM
    4runnercaged

4runnercaged Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    cody
    arizona
    Vehicle:
    LOL
    98 toyota tacoma, stock
    subd... never seen it on a tacoma.

3. Nov 7, 2013 at 9:57 AM
    richardbui23

richardbui23 That guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Arlington Texas
    Vehicle:
    Stacy
    x2

4. Nov 7, 2013 at 1:55 PM
    steveo27

steveo27 Ask me about my weiner

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Off Road & 1992 VW GLI
    The same shit everyone else has.
    Kinda useless input, but I come from the VW world where over half of the modified cars have bags on them. Granted, this is to get them as low as possible but still practical. My old lady's Jetta is bagged. If done right, air suspension can easily be just as reliable as something static. Just build it using name brand parts and assemble everything properly. Airlift, Accuair, Viair all make very nice products.

5. Nov 7, 2013 at 2:44 PM
    4runnercaged

4runnercaged Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    cody
    arizona
    Vehicle:
    LOL
    98 toyota tacoma, stock
    do 4 link front and rear with ORI struts.....

air suspension? :D

6. Nov 7, 2013 at 10:56 PM
    4x4 Ralph

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralph
    Vehicle:
    3" higher 2" spacers black bumper and front grill oil catch can rear diff breather mod TRD seat covers seat heating system LEER tonneau cover and and and
    many thanks for your replys!
    I found the parts that would fit at airbagit...all seems ok...out of years of experience with vehicles that do have air suspensions those systems are as reliable as steel coils...if you take the right precautions...I just never converted a vehicle completely...I was wondering about the change in driving comfort and perhaps any restriction in driving off-road...this as an explanation to ask about your experiences...
    :)

7. Nov 8, 2013 at 5:46 AM
    steveo27

steveo27 Ask me about my weiner

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Off Road & 1992 VW GLI
    The same shit everyone else has.
    Again. Im comparing apples to oranges here, but my experience with the air suspensions is if you use good parts and set everything up correctly, itll ride infinitely better than the OEM stuff on road.

We went from stock to aftermarket Koni coilovers ( 1500$+ dampening adjustable) to airlift air struts, and the car handles/rides just as well on the air as it did on the Konis.

:beer:

8. Nov 8, 2013 at 6:08 AM
    4x4 Ralph

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralph
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Steve!
    At least it tells me that I will not worsen the story...:rolleyes:

Off-Road abilities, a comfortable ride and to have the possibility to change the riding height (in my case also to get on and off a pop-up camper) .... well this will be a compromise ... and who does extrem off-roading (like in a challenge) with a camper on the back?

Let's see ... it will be as always...at the end I am more clever:p...and I will share my experiences....promised!

9. Dec 5, 2013 at 6:10 PM
    highdesertdweller

highdesertdweller New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2009 Sport SR5
    Airlift airsprings K&N airfilter Bakflip VP folding tonneau
    Cannot comment on the front, but Airlift air springs in the rear are a good idea. They have excellent customer service and stand behind their products!

10. Dec 5, 2013 at 7:11 PM
    Pearcem87

Pearcem87 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Off Road
    I had air suspension on my 2012 Jeep GC and my dad has had it on a Ram and Jeep GC. None of the 3 have had high mileage (nothing more than 50K), and they are OEM, but as far as ride and versatility are concerned, it's great. It sounds like it would make even more sense for you with your different weight setups.

I thought the ride was excellent as a whole, and we have not had any problems on the 3 vehicles. I don't have experience with a conversion, but I wouldn't screw around. If you decide to move forward, put the time, research, and money in to do it right the first time. The biggest issue I have run into with air suspension with our Military vehicles was the fittings. The Hoses and compressor would be fine, but the individual fittings, especially at pivot points, would be the weak point. Just something to think about as you move ahead.

11. Dec 5, 2013 at 10:07 PM
    4x4 Ralph

Member:
    First Name:
    Ralph
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for your input!

I have been building Off-Road trailers with air suspension and hydraulic disc brakes a while ago.
    Lot's of effort but every minute and Cent worth it.
    Air spring systems is a kind of 'hobby' for me...:)

Due to german regulations I will get a big problem in changing the rear axle suspension in taking out the leaf spings and using 4 links to keep the axle in place...so I decided to use for the front axle complete air spring struts and for the rear axle the well known helper springs. Perhaps taking out 1 leaf to get the Taco a bit softer (and if necessary lower) when there is no load in the back or while driving only on tar roads.
    The hardtop that I disigned only weighs 76kg...not a real load...

But that is all future 'music'....I am still stuck in South Africa and I don't really know when I will be back in Europe...I am just planning and spending the free time in CAD designing all the gadgets that I will built in...

Once again thanks...

Products Discussed in

To Top