Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Least expensive way to raise truck 1"-2"?

Old 11-07-2013, 12:32 PM   #1
dbs1 will become famous soon enoughdbs1 will become famous soon enough
dbs1's Tacoma Gallery
Least expensive way to raise truck 1"-2"?

I noticed while changing my oil the other day that my skid plate had been dented pretty good from the last fishing trip into my favorite spot. With my former Tacoma I got the next size larger tire, which helped a bunch, but this truck I have the stock size with some expensive Michelins that are only a couple months old.

What might be the cheapest way to raise both front and back another inch or two without spending a bunch or affecting the handling?
Old 11-07-2013, 12:36 PM   #2
Negative Ghostrider
JdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shedJdevTac is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
Name: Josh
JdevTac's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs1 View Post
I noticed while changing my oil the other day that my skid plate had been dented pretty good from the last fishing trip into my favorite spot. With my former Tacoma I got the next size larger tire, which helped a bunch, but this truck I have the stock size with some expensive Michelins that are only a couple months old.

What might be the cheapest way to raise both front and back another inch or two without spending a bunch or affecting the handling?
Most inexpensive route while avoiding spacers and blocks would be 5100's on stock coils set to whichever setting you prefer and an AAL and 5100's for the rear.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:37 PM   #3
Senor Taco
Mademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
Mademan925's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JdevTac View Post
Most inexpensive route while avoiding spacers and blocks would be 5100's on stock coils set to whichever setting you and an AAL and 5100's for the rear.

That this guy said^
Old 11-07-2013, 02:17 PM   #4
Kurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shedKurdain is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Kurdain's Tacoma Gallery
I was thinking of going this route until I can afford an actual lift.

How does this affect ride?
Stock like?
Like Piloting a marshmallow?
Stiffer than a '85 lifted solid axle?

Thanks...
Old 11-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #5
Running For Mayor of TW
richardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
richardbui23's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurdain View Post

Stock like?

Thanks...
when i did it, it actually improved the ride alot i felt like the stock ride was way to soft and bouncy but the 5100's really smoothed things out
Old 11-07-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
Mud Slinger
ferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Fernando
ferny's Tacoma Gallery
Why are spacers so bad?
Old 11-07-2013, 02:20 PM   #7
Senor Taco
Mademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMademan925 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurdain View Post

Stock like?

Thanks...
I did it on my 2012. I set the billys at 1.75 on the front and it leveled the truck out with my 4 stock leafs in the back. It road like stock. If yout maxes them out at 2.5 and added a leaf it probably wont ride as nice but would be better than spacers.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:25 PM   #8
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferny View Post
Why are spacers so bad?
They limit uptravel of the shock and over extend it while off roaring
Old 11-07-2013, 02:52 PM   #10
steveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steveo
steveo27's Tacoma Gallery
5100s up front and a progressive add a leaf out back. I have this set up and love it.
Old 11-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #11
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Old 11-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #12
Mud Slinger
ferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shedferny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
ferny's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGMTacolover55 View Post
They limit uptravel of the shock and over extend it while off roaring
i see. Totally makes sense. Thank you sir!
Old 11-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #13
Mud Slinger

Marines:
ferny's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo27 View Post
5100s up front and a progressive add a leaf out back. I have this set up and love it.
What would something like this run?
Old 11-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #14
TACOlin is on a distinguished road

Name: Colin
TACOlin's Tacoma Gallery
Ok so i know theres alot of discussion over this, but with the Billies on the front, if you put them to 2" will you be ok with the stock UCA's if just doing moderate off roading?
Old 11-07-2013, 02:56 PM   #15
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Old 11-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #16
Running For Mayor of TW
richardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrichardbui23 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOlin View Post
Ok so i know theres alot of discussion over this, but with the Billies on the front, if you put them to 2" will you be ok with the stock UCA's if just doing moderate off roading?
i have a 3" lift billy 5100's in all 4 corners with 884's up front and AAl in the rear with stock UCA just dont go crazy and you should be fine
Old 11-07-2013, 02:59 PM   #17
TACOlin is on a distinguished road

Name: Colin
TACOlin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardbui23 View Post
i have a 3" lift billy 5100's in all 4 corners with 884's up front and AAl in the rear with stock UCA just dont go crazy and you should be fine
Shoot so sounds like youre really pushing it with the stocks, awesome that calms my nerves a little. Santa will hopefully be dropping some Billies on my doorstep for Christmas
Old 11-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #18
steveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteveo27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steveo
steveo27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferny View Post
What would something like this run?
I have about 350$ into this
Old 11-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #19
Senor Taco

Im running stock uca's with a 3" to. No problems.
Old 11-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #20
Running For Mayor of TW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACOlin View Post
Shoot so sounds like youre really pushing it with the stocks, awesome that calms my nerves a little. Santa will hopefully be dropping some Billies on my doorstep for Christmas
lol my suggestion is avoid whoops. whenever i used to have to pick up the lady from work i used to flog it on the street before i had to turn (concrete but i guess las colinas is so rich they dont need leveled roads?) and evertime i caught air i would be able to hear the UCA hit the coils. im going to pick up some UCA's in the future just as a precaution but for now im trying to take it easy lol