Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Help deciding between automatic and manual?

Old 11-09-2013, 07:58 AM   #21
Osugoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedOsugoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedOsugoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedOsugoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedOsugoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedOsugoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedOsugoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedOsugoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedOsugoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedOsugoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedOsugoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
Osugoose's Tacoma Gallery
If I could have bought a DCLB manual, I would have. If the auto ever goes out I might try to swap it.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:59 AM   #22
08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future08TRDOFFROAD has a brilliant future

Law Enforcement: Police
Name: Daniel
08TRDOFFROAD's Tacoma Gallery
I bought an automatic and soon after regretted not getting a manual.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:43 PM   #23
onmy6 is on a distinguished road
onmy6's Tacoma Gallery
l
Old 11-09-2013, 07:47 PM   #24
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by onmy6 View Post
ok it is a truck get an automatic. (I am his brother)
Now I am 100% manual guy. I own a 2002 miata with a 5 speed and a 2012 mustang with a 6 speed. I love both. But, they are a sports car and a pony car respectively. Their objective when designed were to give a great driving experience with performance capabilities. The truck simply is not. The truck is meant for utility and go anywhere capability.
Reasons for him not to have a manual
1. He will have access to either a miata or mustang with manuals at ANY point in time if he wants to drive
2. control ability is almost a moot point. Now, I do engine brake with both of my cars but with automatics today you have the semi auto feature. You can EASILY drop it to a lower gear. And I know in full size trucks there is tow mode...
3. Another point I hear a lot is so other people can not drive it. Well, do what they say to do when offered drugs JUST SAY NO (i know you have no issues saying no)
4. Yes it is cheaper now to purchase. But a clutch installed is about a grand. Many people do not want manuals in cars nevermind a truck. To resell the vehicle will be MUCH harder. Plus the whole issue on cheaper to fix... well from experience manuals are not cheap. My 3rd and 5th gear syncro were shot under 20k miles. It cost $1800 for new gears and syncros... thank god ford covered it (not fine blame me on third but how do you abuse 5th? My shifting is perfect and would put it up against almost any guy. There have been major issues with MT-82s).
4. I dont understand how a truck is fun to drive with a manual. Could someone explain. Personally I find driving around town or even highway with a manual boring or annoying... but the true fun is on a race track (the mustang has been down the drag strip and the miata is in the process of getting set up for autox) or on back mountain roads... heel toe downshifting and shifting around redline and staying in the power band. Well, I think the suspension of the truck really hinders its ability to handle the twisties.
5. We live in the most densely populated area of the country (I am in a cruise group who go exploring back roads). Driving the truck will not be fun with relatively long throws (its a truck after all)
6. Better mpgs are a moot point. Automatics are so efficient today it is literally worthless to get a manual for mpgs (if you are worried about 1 or 2 mpgs go get a prius)
7. I can sorta see off road control ability with popping the clutch but you also raise the fact of a lot of stalling, now in our neck of the woods it is mostly rock climbing... now I am thinking being at a 20degree incline on boulders it is a BAD time to stall. And it is not like you will take a 2014 truck off roading.
8. yes it is the man pedal but just like a v6 mustang to v8... that shirt is from a diesel shirt company not a japanese tiny pick up truck. (dont get me wrong, I love the tacoma's and plan on getting a taco or frontier in a year or two)
Not one person outside of the few suggested a manual truck. His parents, grandparents (who drive manual) and friends.
Oh brother :-)

Welcome to TW...interesting 1st post.

I gotta ask, did you join TW just so you could post this? Seems you going right to this thread that there may be more to the story.

ON EDIT: And now the quoted post has been deleted... Does this now move to the WTF thread?
Old 11-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #25
ndsgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedndsgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedndsgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedndsgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedndsgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedndsgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedndsgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedndsgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedndsgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedndsgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedndsgr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ndsgr's Tacoma Gallery
After reading some of the negative comments on here about the 6-speed, I second guessed my choice of ordering one.

After driving around my '14 with a 6-speed today for the first time, I know made the right choice. This thing is a blast to drive. It shifts like a sports car compared to my previous truck.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:58 PM   #26
Paleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shedPaleus is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Paleus's Tacoma Gallery
I honestly do not understand why so many people on this forum want a manual transmission in their trucks.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:00 PM   #27
ndsgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedndsgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedndsgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedndsgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedndsgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedndsgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedndsgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedndsgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedndsgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedndsgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedndsgr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ndsgr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleus View Post
I honestly do not understand why so many people on this forum want a manual transmission in their trucks.
I honestly don't understand why so many people like the color red.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #28
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Auto is really great. Super smooth, decent on fuel, good for cruising. Manual is fun for more spirited driving. I enjoyed having an auto as a younger kid. Really fun to beat on. However I was beating on skyline GTRs.

I just switched from auto to manual.

Crawlbox + manual=
Old 11-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #29
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I honestly don't understand why people can't make up their own minds
Old 11-09-2013, 08:06 PM   #30
dakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the sheddakotasyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dakota
dakotasyota's Tacoma Gallery
I'm 17 as well, and I only like to drive manuals. My tacoma shifts like a dream compared to my 1990 toyota pickup. I like having the manual because it gives you total control over the vehicle. I like to engine brake, and in my experience manuals always hold up better than automatics. Also, I mean come on man, you're 17 years old. You can shift your car like a real man, you're not old yet and need a car to shift it for you. You'll have way more fun in it I swear! Plus, with so many automatic Tacos in this world, having a manual won't be hard to sell, that is if you chose to get rid of it for some reason.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:07 PM   #31

ndsgr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
That was my point.

For what it's worth though, in my experience, it is REALLY hard to find the 6-speed on any lot to test drive.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:08 PM   #32
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Why you mad tho
Old 11-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #33
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Thank you...honestly.

And oh what a world to live in where a manual makes you a man. I'll be sure an pass that on to my mother, sister, aunts & ex. who all either own or have driven manuals.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #34
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
Why you mad tho
Never mad
Old 11-09-2013, 08:11 PM   #35
Tight and Right
BluntTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluntTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluntTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluntTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluntTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluntTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluntTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluntTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluntTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluntTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBluntTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: AACOFD
Name: Randy
BluntTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthony250f View Post
Wish mine was a manual....
This ^^^
Old 11-09-2013, 08:12 PM   #36

ndsgr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe D View Post
Thank you...

And oh what a world to live in where a manual makes you a man. I'll be sure an pass that on to my mother, sister and aunts who all either own or have driven manuals.
Every time my wife tells people she likes driving stick, I giggle.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:16 PM   #37

Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndsgr View Post
Every time my wife tells people she likes driving stick, I giggle.
I'd giggle too if your wife told me she "likes driving stick"
Old 11-09-2013, 08:20 PM   #38

OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakotasyota View Post
I'm 17 as well, and I only like to drive manuals.

and in my experience manuals always hold up better than automatics.
Your whole year of driving experience ?
Old 11-09-2013, 08:56 PM   #39
nofearracer is on a distinguished road

Name: Dave
nofearracer's Tacoma Gallery
6-speed taco

I crosssed 3 states to buy my 6-speed Sport Taco. Nobody close to me had one. I used to race a full caged 240sx at the local circle track (with a couple wins) so i like to race around, downshift, break the rears loose, zip through corners and put up some RPM's. The instant control, and the ability of gear/RPM range is something i enjoy. But that's just me. Every person is different. Guess it depends on your driving style. Good luck
Old 11-09-2013, 08:59 PM   #40

Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearracer View Post
I crosssed 3 states to buy my 6-speed Sport Taco. Nobody close to me had one. I used to race a full caged 240sx at the local circle track (with a couple wins) so i like to race around, downshift, break the rears loose, zip through corners and put up some RPM's. The instant control, and the ability of gear/RPM range is something i enjoy. But that's just me. Every person is different. Guess it depends on your driving style. Good luck
Welcome to TW

This thread is the new "intro" thread...lots of first time posters.