Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Help deciding between automatic and manual?

Old 11-08-2013, 10:37 PM   #1
stombs is just really nicestombs is just really nicestombs is just really nicestombs is just really nicestombs is just really nice
Name: Scott
stombs's Tacoma Gallery
Help deciding between automatic and manual?

I will be turning 17 in a few weeks and I am fortunate enough to have parents able to buy me a new car. I have decided on a tacoma and want a extended cab v6 with maybe SR5. but I am not sure if I want auto or manual. I do know how to drive stick. how ever everyone tells me i shouldn't get it but i want to hear from real tacoma owners what they recommend. I have read other threads about the issues with the manuals already. Thank you for reading my post
Old 11-08-2013, 10:45 PM   #2
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
Welcome to TW (first post).

I'm sure it's going to depend on what the owner already has rather the attempt to sway you towards a manual or automatic.

You already said you like the manual...

I've owned way more manuals then automatics. In fact, this Tacoma is one of the few automatics I've ever owned. Frankly I just wasn't that impressed with the shift action in the manual and thought the auto was well suited with the V6. And it's rated better MPGs.

But, it's each persons choice. I'm not aware of any ongoing, regular issues with either option

ON EDIT: Not sure what your future plans are but, I'm pretty sure you'll find selling an automatic will get more money (on the Tacoma they cost more too) and the resale-ability is generally better with automatic equipped vehicles.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:56 PM   #3
The Sailing Memebr
anders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
anders99's Tacoma Gallery
I like my manual. I am driving to 4 banger with the manny and love it. Gets the job done and is quite fun
Old 11-08-2013, 10:57 PM   #4
MatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MatthewMay1's Tacoma Gallery
I'm 16, live with Dallas traffic, and wish I had a manual. I feel like having a manual car is something everybody should have at one point in their lives. Plus, you can have more control over the car. And yes, I know how to drive stick, so this is not an uneducated opinion
Old 11-08-2013, 11:09 PM   #6
MatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatthewMay1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MatthewMay1's Tacoma Gallery
Plus, if you ever end up in a situation where you need to be able to drive it, you will have the skills to go along with the know-how. Always be prepared for the unexpected!
Old 11-08-2013, 11:14 PM   #7
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewMay1 View Post
I'm 16, live with Dallas traffic, and wish I had a manual. I feel like having a manual car is something everybody should have at one point in their lives. Plus, you can have more control over the car. And yes, I know how to drive stick, so this is not an uneducated opinion
I think the OP is asking about a truck
Old 11-08-2013, 11:20 PM   #8
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I think the OP is asking about a truck
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmTK_eSOCN4

Here I am loading my gun for its final shot and you provide another deft response. :-))
Old 11-08-2013, 11:25 PM   #9
mitzu is on a distinguished road
Air Force:
Name: mike
mitzu's Tacoma Gallery

You'll pretty much grow a beard and get bitches everywhere just by driving a manual
Old 11-08-2013, 11:39 PM   #10
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzu View Post

You'll pretty much grow a beard and get bitches everywhere just by driving a manual
This
Old 11-08-2013, 11:40 PM   #11
sodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant future

sodoscott's Tacoma Gallery
Automatic!!! Easy and better off road. Manual 50/50 sometimes u love it ,sometimes u hate it... I have manual taco. wish my car was automatic lol
Old 11-08-2013, 11:43 PM   #12
!@$%#
robssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shedrobssol is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rob
robssol's Tacoma Gallery
I have a automatic, and love it. If you'll be doing a lot of city driving, I would recommend a auto.
One other thing, being a new driver consider getting a beater and driving it a couple years. Reason being, most kids destroy their first car. Not my opinion, fact. You may be different, but I would recommend getting some experience then get a nice Taco
Old 11-08-2013, 11:46 PM   #13
Custom Tacoma bumpers & more for your offroad toy
RelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedRelentlessTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
RelentlessTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodoscott View Post
Automatic!!! Easy and better off road. Manual 50/50 sometimes u love it ,sometimes u hate it... I have manual taco. wish my car was automatic lol
Actually I would argue manuals are better offroad.... but I'm kind of a diehard manual transmission man. I prefer the control a manual has offroad, but it does take a bit of throttle/clutch control skills to have an advantage with one offroad. Offroading and being a manual trans newb is going to make you have a bad day though- constant stalling!
I like how a manual will let you rev the engine and drop the clutch as sometimes helpful to get through, or bump over something or to help to jerk the truck free from some holes if you get buried in snow, high centered, etc.
Just my preferences though.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:29 AM   #14
The Safety Guy
BDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shedBDBSoCal is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Brad
BDBSoCal's Tacoma Gallery
Loved to drive my manual 2004 Tacoma! For the price you can probably find a manual in better shape than an automatic. Loved driving that truck!

There wasn't a manual 2nd gen available when I bought the 2008. But if there was, with everything else the same, I'd have gotten a manual again.

Of course, in part that's because I have another auto transmission vehicle I can use when I know I'm going to be in stop-and-go-traffic. Still, I drove manual for years in that traffic, and it was fine for me. Definitely more fun to drive.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:52 AM   #17
sodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant futuresodoscott has a brilliant future

sodoscott's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by robssol View Post
I have a automatic, and love it. If you'll be doing a lot of city driving, I would recommend a auto.
One other thing, being a new driver consider getting a beater and driving it a couple years. Reason being, most kids destroy their first car. Not my opinion, fact. You may be different, but I would recommend getting some experience then get a nice Taco

X2
Old 11-09-2013, 08:28 AM   #18
FTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shedFTD is one of the sharper tools in the shed
FTD's Tacoma Gallery
For me, intending to own the vehicle for a long time, it came down to repair costs. Always has. I've owned two automatics. LOVE automatic. But when it goes bad it goes bad in a pretty expensive way. With a stick, it's usually just a fairly cheap clutch repair and you're on your way.

That being said, you'll have the six, you won't have to be milking every last bit of power out of it...I'd be tempted to go auto especially if you have any serious traffic in your locale.

You can't make a bad choice here. Flip a coin in you must, either way you come up a winner. Regardless, enjoy and recognize your good fortune. My first car was $500, in an era when 500 bucks would get you...a total beat-up piece of shit. Which it was. LOL. Take care of it and try not to wrap it around a tree, OK?
Old 11-09-2013, 08:43 AM   #19
anthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shedanthony250f is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Anthony
anthony250f's Tacoma Gallery
Wish mine was a manual....
Old 11-09-2013, 08:50 AM   #20
Midship909 is on a distinguished road

Midship909's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Midship909
I love my Manual especially for downhill and for total control of the vehicle