1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I'm actually embarassed to post this....

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by nd, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Sep 20, 2007 at 9:12 AM
    nd

nd [OP] Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off-Road 4x4 debadged
    De badged, 5100's, Black Toyota Baja wheels
    Have you ever done anything so rediculously stupid that you wish you could beat you own ass? I have. Whenever i see pics of someone that drove away from the pump with the nozzle still in their tank, or anything retarded like that i always laugh and call them idiots. Unfortunately i dont have the right to make fun of those people anymore....

Have any of you ever had a tree jump out in front of you? I havn't. But yesterday i had a tree jump out behind me.... while i was backing up.... fast. Heres the story.....

I had to go pick up my suit from the tailor for a wedding this weekend. so i had my suit hanging up in the back behind the driver seat. Well i tood a back road home that i havn't been down in a long time and i noticed a trail i had never seen before. So of course i decided to find out where it went. A couple hundred yards down the trail it got pretty narrow and i decided that i didnt want to scratch up my truck so i backed up and cut the wheel to the left so i could turn around. I came to a complete stop before hitting anything. before i could turn the wheel to the right i got a phone call. I picked up the phone to see who it was, decided i didnt feel like talking so i put it back down. Apparently that little distraction was just enough to make me forget what i was doing. I thought the wheel was turned and i was in drive.... the wheel was not turned and i was still in reverse. I gave my engine a generous dose of gas and was confused as hell for the split second i went backwards. I knew right away i had done something stupid. I never even saw the tree due to my hanging suit. I pulled forward and got out to check the damage.... i was not happy. My driver side rear light assembly is destroyed. The rear fender flare is half ripped off. The quarter panal is pretty much done. There is a fixable dent right where my TRD decal is but the metal all around the light assembly is completely bashed in, and my bumper is dented a little and pushed close to (but not touchging) the body. I have not taken it to get an official estimate yet but i'm gonna estimate the damage at about $1200. I have an appointment at 2pm today to actually get it checked out. Amazingly the tailgate is not at all damaged.... not the tiniest little scratch. its crazy, the quarter panal all the way up to the tailgate is bashed completely in, all the way up to the seem between teh panel and the tailgate and somehow the tailgate is flawless.

So thats my story of complete absent minded stupidity. good news is that the scrathes on that corner panal that have been bugging me will get taken care of.... plus my best friends mom and sister work at my local toyota dealer so they may be able to get me parts for 10% over cost. so if i have to replace my bumber and quarter panal and fender flare i may get hooked up some.

I'll repost after i get it looked at today and let you guys know what they say. I'll try to get some pics today or this weekend and post em up. I'm sure you guys want to see what complete retardation looks like :)

2. Sep 20, 2007 at 9:52 AM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    dude...that does blow...i had the same deal where someone parked behind me and i didnt pay it any attention, then that night i went to leave and backed into their tow hook and dented in my bumper right beside where it dips in for the license plate...i felt just as stupid. i havent fixed mine yet b/c i'm hoping some dumbass driver around here will bump me in the rear and i can get it taken care of...lol...i touch up painted it so i dont have to worry about any rust.

3. Sep 20, 2007 at 10:02 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    yeah, thats a sh!tty feeling when you realize you just cost yourself alot of money just cause you were too absent minded to check behind you or shift into drive. When i got out i was looking at it thinking "how can i undo this? Think Nate think, there has to be a way to take it back...... nope, it's too late" Oh well, gonna have to hold off on toys for a while. :(

4. Sep 20, 2007 at 10:52 AM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    I think you should take a picture of it and make it your new avatar. ;)

That does suck though. One of the bad things about having a new truck - there aren't many parts trucks around to take parts off of. New parts are expensive. :(

Well, at least you don't have to report it to insurance. :eek:

5. Sep 20, 2007 at 11:07 AM
    coloradoclimber

coloradoclimber Active Member

Member:
    Denver,Co
    Vehicle:
    04 SR5 Extra Cab TRD
    DOH!

So did you say f!ck or sh!t??

that sucks man..

6. Sep 20, 2007 at 11:53 AM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    Well, i just got back from the body shop. the total cost with parts and labor is $1800. I don't know if i will just eat it and pay for it out of pocket or report it to my insurance. Here's my problem.... as youknow, my little bro totalled my beamer about 4 months ago, and about the same time a lawn mower shot a rock through my back window. So i had to report both those claims at relatively the same time. and now a few months later i have damage to my truck. so in six months time thats 3 claims, and what sucks, is only one of them is my fault. But i'm afraid they are gonna raise my rates through the roof if i report this. So i dont know what will be cheaper in the long run, dishing out 1800 bucks or paying my $500 deductable and letting insurance pay for the rest. What do you guys think?

BTW, i still dont know if i can get hooked up on parts or not. Also, i thought i remember someone telling me you can get the fender flare for $140ish but they have $300 on the estimate.

Oh and coloradoclimber.... the first word was a really loud F*CK!!! and that was followed up by a string of cuss words that didnt even make any sense... i just took every bad word i know and made one big mega cuss word out of them

7. Sep 20, 2007 at 12:10 PM
    007Tacoma

007Tacoma I dub thee malicious!

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2015 4Runner Trail Edition Premium
    Cloaking Device
    Ew - yeah, I forgot about the BMW and the rock. You just aren't having very good luck are you? You need a beer! Somebody get this man a beer!

8. Sep 20, 2007 at 12:39 PM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    Sucks to be you, nd and sucks to be me too. I believe you backed in to Texas Maple. Damn those Texans are out to punish every way they can, huh?

When I got home last Friday, I parked near the curb and walked home. Thirty minutes later, my daughter says "dad look" and points towards my ride. I look and see an eff-in solid wood door resting on the body (above the passenger rear wheel well). The body dented, paint chipped and effed up my state of mind. My eff-in neighbour had left a eff-in door leaning on a tree where I had parked. The wind blew the door causing the damage. I was pissed and flung the door but decided to be a good neighbour and did not pursue it further. The somewhat nice part is it wasn't my Taco. It was my mint condition Civic Si, which now stands for Civic "Smashed in". Crap happens.

9. Sep 20, 2007 at 1:02 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    Sorry to hear about that Themaster, but on the bright side, at least it wasnt your truck.

007: yeah, its been a string of unfortunate events and worst of all i'm paying for stuff thats not my fault. I tried to be nice and letmy bro drive my car... he busted it and now i'm paying higher insurance. I was nice and didnt make the rock guy pay for my window, but now insurance will look back and see both claims... neither of which was my doing. Oh well, lessons learned. and as far as beer goes... i'm taking care of that tonight, dont you worry about that :)

10. Sep 20, 2007 at 1:04 PM
    nd

Member:
    First Name:
    Nate
    Greenville, SC
    Vehicle:
    BTW, themaster, i did actually consider that Texans may have been behind all this. All i know is that i'm pretty sure i had the right of way but the tree didnt seem to care.... i'm blaming Texas!!!

11. Sep 20, 2007 at 1:16 PM
    TacoTurd

TacoTurd Defying Alliances since 2007

Member:
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner TRD Sport
    TRD Exhaust, TRD CAI, Bull Bar, PIAA lights, Passport, Bed Mat, UWS Toolbox, Hood Struts, Rear TSB, TRD/Okole Seat Covers, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Burned Carpet, Nasty Dent in Roof
    I know this feeling, but it is usually in combination with a tequila hangover:der:

12. Sep 20, 2007 at 3:02 PM
    kilo

kilo Solo Member

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2007 Dbl cab long bed TRD Sport
    custom sliders, 3" Old Man Emu lift, onboard air, custom surf-rod mount, custom bed rack, ARB bumper, Budbuilt fuel tank skid-plate
    Sorry to hear that, I had a light pole do the same to me.

13. Sep 20, 2007 at 3:09 PM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    I dont blame you. BTW, have you considered teaching the tree a lesson? A chain saw will make sure this does not happen again. :D

14. Sep 20, 2007 at 3:12 PM
    CharlieX

CharlieX Well-Known Member

Member:
    Man, that's rough. Two weeks ago, moving into the new place, our garage was a little stuffed and I'm trying to maneuvor my 07 DC past the wife's car and around the garbage cans..... Got pretty wedged in there but thought I had clearance.... 17" long dent in the side of my door from the garbage can. what a drag....

15. Sep 20, 2007 at 4:29 PM
    Beverly0817

Beverly0817 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sorry that happened to you nd! Luckily I don't have any dents, YET! I did, however, come close to having a dent one time. I was driving home after work one night and I was less than a mile from home. I was driving very slow probably 15-20 mph because I live on an ORANGE dirt road! I saw two or three deer on the right side of the road, and I slowed to about 5mph or less! They crossed the road several feet in front of my truck, but I still kept my same slow speed thinking that there could be one or more deer left that would try to cross the road. Well, much to my surprise another one did try and cross, but it came from the left (one that had previously ran out in front of me). This little gal ran right into the driver's side of my truck! She wasnt a very big gal, but she was no baby either. Maybe she was a teenager! She hit my truck really hard and I just knew it was to' up! I was so worried about my truck that I was literally shaking all over!

I drove home and got a flashlight so I could see the damage. Luckily, I found nothing! I couldn't believe it. I checked the next morning to make sure, and upon looking very closely I found one very small scratch!

I may be getting a little off-subject here, but...........I won't even go in Wal-Mart when there are alot of shopping carts in their parking lot. I know of at least three times that I have drove into the parking lot and left because there were too many loose shopping carts!

16. Sep 20, 2007 at 5:21 PM
    Mudbug

Mudbug Well-Known Member

Member:
    Amsoil 0w-20 engine oil and Amsoil Full synthetic 75w-90 in the Transmission, transfer case, front and rear Differentials. AFE Cold Air Intake
    Quick! Control Z!

17. Sep 20, 2007 at 5:42 PM
    Evil Monkey

Evil Monkey There's an evil monkey in my truck

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Escondido, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 DC SR5 TRD Off-road
    Weathertech front & rear mats, rear suspension TSB, Toytec AAL for TSB, Hi-Lift Jack, Bilstein 5100 & Toytec Adjustable coilovers, Built Right UCAs, KMC XD 795 Hoss Wheels, Definity Dakota MTs 285/75R16, Leer XR, Thule Tracker II & Thule MOAB basket
    I have a pretty tight carport parking spot that has a telephone pole on one side and a pole supporting the carport on the other. If it isn't backed in just right, it'll hit the carport pole or clip the driver's side mirror on the telephone pole. I usually have to do a turning back-in, straighten the truck and then back in some more. I worry that while my attention is on one side, I'll be too close on the other.

18. Sep 20, 2007 at 5:53 PM
    Mudbug

Mudbug Well-Known Member

Member:
    Amsoil 0w-20 engine oil and Amsoil Full synthetic 75w-90 in the Transmission, transfer case, front and rear Differentials. AFE Cold Air Intake
    You know the tacoma really seems like driving a sports car after what I drove before it. I mostly drove my dads F250 super duty 4 door before I had the tacoma...soo yeah the tacoma seems like a little sports car now haha.

19. Sep 20, 2007 at 5:53 PM
    coreyredken

coreyredken Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Georgia, Mount Airy
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5
    Westin Stainless Steel Oval Side Bars!
    Sorry to hear about this! I know it hurts deep down inside.. but at least noone was hurt!

Is there anyway you can ask if your insurance will go up? Not sure how you go about doing that.. but.. if your premium is going to go up I would just eat it.. in the long run it might be cheaper to eat it than to pay a 100 bucks more a month for car insurance.. 18 months would equal you're truck fixin and not to mention your 500 deductable.. which would equal 2300 bucks.. plus the continued 100 bucks extra a month for how long.. 3 yrs or so... which would total 3600 bucks.. or more

One way to look at it..

20. Sep 20, 2007 at 6:05 PM
    Toy4Life

Toy4Life 668: The Neighbor of the Beast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Slippery Rock, PA
    Vehicle:
    96 Subaru Outback 2.2 5mt
    92 4Runner SR5 3.0v6 4x4(sold) 02 Tacoma SR5 TRD Offroad 4x4 (sold)
    That sucks nd. I've always prided myself on my ability to parallel park. About 4 months back, in the process of parking, I backed my hitch reciever onto the fiberglass front of a late model Vette.....the owner watched me do it. I felt nothing and heard nothing....no idea what I had just done til the vette guy stopped me on the sidewalk.
    Damn, that was embarassing!

Products Discussed in

To Top