Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

TRD vs SR5 Discussion

Old 11-09-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
yarro is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarro is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarro is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarro is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarro is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarro is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarro is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarro is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarro is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarro is one of the sharper tools in the shedyarro is one of the sharper tools in the shed

yarro's Tacoma Gallery
TRD vs SR5 Discussion

Hey guys so your probably thinking dont we already have enough threads concerning teh comparison of the two trims? however this is a diffrent case. please read on.

I purchased a new 2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab TRD Off Road truck off off a toyota lot in WA (LARSON- btw dont buy there) in 2011. Recently i checked the VIN online and it came up as a SR5 model.. this through me off and got me concerned. Why would a TRD come up as a SR5.

2 things you should know,
1) I had problems with LARSON, with previous auto (VW.. pshhh garbage compared to Toyota. well maybe it was just me but i had so many problems with that car) The only reason i traded it in is becuase i wasnt educatedon the Lemon law, and they were giving the most for it for trade in , since it was off their lot. and i was buying from them again. (I should have waited)

2)The truck was inside on the floor already equiped with the Lift toy, TRD Ivan Stewarts, and BF goodrich tires, RR Lock, Fog Lights, Downhill Assist, Etc

Heres my question did they sell me a SR5 by simply adding stickers and a lift and charge me for a TRD? However the truck had everything installed on it such as Rear Differntial lock, Fog lights, downhill assist like you would see on a TRD. i guess they could transform a SR5 into a TRD and sell it as TRD but i just wanted to make sure i didnt get scammed for a second time..

should i be concerned?

Please share your input and thoughts.
Old 11-09-2013, 02:31 PM   #2
trdoffroad18 is on a distinguished road
Name: matt
trdoffroad18's Tacoma Gallery
well honestly if it has all the things you listed its more than likely a trd package just something was wrong in the system and listed it as an sr5...
Old 11-09-2013, 02:47 PM   #3
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
teneighty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trdoffroad18 View Post
well honestly if it has all the things you listed its more than likely a trd package just something was wrong in the system and listed it as an sr5...
I agree with this ^^ I doubt they added all that TRD stuff to an SR5...
Actually, they did add all that... At the factory
Old 11-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #4
13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed13Greysled is one of the sharper tools in the shed
13Greysled's Tacoma Gallery
I have my doubts that a dealership would go through all that trouble just for a few thousand dollar difference. What source are you using to check on the VIN?
Old 11-09-2013, 03:04 PM   #5
Mama says Tacoma World is da devil!
bjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjboucher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Brad
bjboucher's Tacoma Gallery
If you have downhill assist and a rear locking differential, you have a TRD Off-road. Unless the switches aren't factory or look like they were put in after the fact. I'm sure you're fine, I wouldn't trust the website you used.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:14 PM   #7
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg256 View Post
All trd models are sr5...
This is a good point right here!

Plus you have to swap the entire rear axle to convert a non TRD Offroad to a TRD Offroad. The Offroads run a different rear axle than all of the other models because of the E-locker.