Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

No Reverse

Old 11-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #1
TheHansen is on a distinguished road

TheHansen's Tacoma Gallery
No Reverse

So I was driving my truck around on some dirt roads. Nothing to extreme. Now when I put the truck in reverse nothing happens. The engine revs as if it were in neutral. Should I start looking for a new transmission?

In any forward gear the truck moves no problem.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:57 PM   #2
OldPhart
bldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bldegle2's Tacoma Gallery
automatic, you got a problem, maybe the linkage got disturbed offroading...otherwise, your tranny may have gone fubar..
Old 11-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #3
gearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: training officer
Name: TW certified keyboard mechanic
gearcruncher's Tacoma Gallery
Have seen issues with the transfer case causing no reverse .
What happens when you select 4X4 and 4Lo ?

Did you get the truck stuck ? and does the truck still have low gear ?
the same clutch pack used for reverse is also used for forward -Low gear .
The truck starts in park but will it start in neutral ? this may rule out a linkage issue .
The transmission uses very high pressure to get reverse . Are you sure its topped up with trans fluid ?
Old 11-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
Banned
acdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shedacdronin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
acdronin's Tacoma Gallery
^^^Sounds like good tranny advice from a guy who's username is 'Gearcruncher' lol
Old 11-10-2013, 03:42 AM   #6
OldPhart
bldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedbldegle2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bldegle2's Tacoma Gallery
have you checked the fluids, climbed under to give a visual inspection, how is the fluid level?

Maybe a transmission shop can render an opinion at this point...
Old 11-10-2013, 12:42 PM   #8
gearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Reverse inside the A750E is strictly mechanical . This means there are no solenoids or computer controls used for the transmission to select reverse .
When you select reverse , the linkage moves the manual valve inside the valve body of the transmission and hydraulic pressure applies the clutching to get reverse . No ECM controls , no solenoids are used
Did you get the truck stuck ?
Have you tried the transfer case in 4X4 and 4 low ?
Will the truck start in park and neutral ?

I am going with broken planetaries if the above is tested and all works fine .The same planetaries used for reverse are also used for upshifting in the forward gear ranges . Portions of the valve body could be jammed up but usually there is a cause for the spool valves getting stuck .
If the ECM commands the transmission to upshift to 3rd gear but for some reason or another , it doesnt upshift , the ECM will put the transmission into fail safe to prevent further damage but even if the transmission was in fail safe , you would still get reverse .
Sounds like you are now in fail safe mode .
Old 11-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #9
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Doesn't that trans also apply direct clutch pack in reverse? Never had one apart but doesn't it also have a sprage on the low clutch drum? It sounds like he broke some thing not a normal worn part type of thing.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineah View Post
Doesn't that trans also apply direct clutch pack in reverse? Never had one apart but doesn't it also have a sprage on the low clutch drum? It sounds like he broke some thing not a normal worn part type of thing.
Havnt looked at the actual powerflow , but I beleive you are correct
Old 11-11-2013, 10:14 AM   #11

So I dropped the truck off at a transmission shop this morning. I'll update as soon as i hear back as to what failed.

I wish it broke in the summer so I could have time to swap the transmission myself, I just don't have the time during the school year. (MNE Senior)
Old 11-11-2013, 12:53 PM   #12

Just got a call from the shop. The truck will only shift into first and fourth. Hopefully it is a solenoid issue. But if reverse is strictly mechanical i guess there is more wrong. Next call will hopefully be in the afternoon tomorrow.
Old 11-11-2013, 04:28 PM   #13
maineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaineah is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement:
Name: Tim
maineah's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHansen View Post
Just got a call from the shop. The truck will only shift into first and fourth. Hopefully it is a solenoid issue. But if reverse is strictly mechanical i guess there is more wrong. Next call will hopefully be in the afternoon tomorrow.
No it not mechanical but it has no management to it (computer control) It still has to apply clutch packs with trans fluid.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:31 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearcruncher View Post
Could you take a picture of the broken part ?
Did they say why it broke ?
They asked me if i jammed it into gear while the truck was rolling. i.e. rolling back and putting it into drive or rolling forward and putting it into reverse.

I swear i didn't do anything like that. It just stopped working, no bang, no grinding, nothing. I even continued driving long enough to get out of the trails to get towed, and there wasn't any grinding sounds. At the time i was convinced it was an electrical problem because i had been through some puddles.

I asked them to keep the broken parts. When i get it back next week I will get more specifics on which part failed, and ill post pictures.
Old 11-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #17

I have seen the ring gear break off the lower planetary carrier many times in the past but not on the A750E . The ring gear is welded on the planetary in multiple locations and the welds break . If this is what happened , its not something you did . Poor welding , poor machining , incorrectly baked when the transmission was being built or 99 % of the time , this is caused by not coming to a complete stop before moving the manual linkage to forward . Selecting reverse under high engine rpm would also break the planetary
Have you owned the truck since new ? could be something that happened previous to you owning therefore it was a matter of time .
This is a rare occurance and not a pattern failure for the A750E.
Be happy we dont own a Ford or Chevy . Broken planetaries and busted gearing are very very common on their automatics to the point that they are designed to fail .