1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Former gmc owner looking to switch to the yota

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Vengien, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Nov 9, 2013 at 1:49 PM
    Vengien

Vengien [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kye
    Oxford, ms
    I've always owned gmc z71's but I'm tired of them and am wanting to try something new out. I like the looks of the taco as but have never drove one. I'm looking to buy new and I want the 4 door 4x4 fully loaded out with all the bells and whistles.
    My question is how do these compare to larger v8 pickups. I don't want to feel like I'm lacking power or that I don't have enough ump to play around in. I've had bad reliability issues out of my last few gmc's ( 1999,2002,2011,& 2009 models)all z71's and all breaking down. I am not a rough off-roader the hardest I go off-road is to a deer stand or fishin hole. So just wanting comparisons in pretty much any way u can..

I'm also going to put a lift and off-rad tires (like mud grapplers) and rims on it and was wondering how bad that will hurt the v6? And wat other mods I should consider.

2. Nov 9, 2013 at 1:53 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Make sure the dealer installs that supercharger "thingy" and you'll never miss your old truck.

3. Nov 9, 2013 at 2:09 PM
    TR90125

TR90125 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD Sport
    Bone stock for now....
    I'm on my first Tacoma after several full size trucks including GMC 1/2 and 3/4 tons and most recently a Ram crew with a hemi.

The Tacoma is fun to drive. It does most things good enough, which doesn't sound exciting, but makes for a vehicle that is hard to justify replacing. I bought it due to its reputation for longevity and strong resale value. I consider it adequately powered and will move when pressed. The Ram was flat out fast and torquey as hell but I just didn't feel like I could drive it for 10 years without it falling apart.

The Tacoma is a great urban vehicle as it is more maneuverable than a full size truck and if all you do is commute back and forth to work, like I do, it doesn't feel like overkill.

The interior is nice but rather old school, aside from my touchscreen radio, everything else is knobs and switches, which I prefer. It drives like a truck, rides like a truck, looks like a truck.

The stock stereo is weak, the alloy wheels on the TRD sport are outdated to say the least, and gas mileage isn't stellar. I get about 19ish and got 15ish with the hemi. I have a heavy foot.

I miss the V8 rumble. My truck has the TRD Exhaust, which has a nice sound, but no throaty v8 rumble.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

4. Nov 9, 2013 at 2:49 PM
    reece13

reece13 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2010 TRD sport, 6spd, 4wd
    Toytec Coilovers, Total Chaos uca's, Wheelers aal+Bilstein 5160's. 285/70/17's, Method Double Standards. Magnaflow exhaust, GrilleCraft grille, Allpro bumper,diff breather relocate, yellow wire mod, oil catch can, weathertechs.
    Tacoma is a good midsize truck. Great off-road capabilities. Plenty of aftermarket support for lifts, lockers, bumpers, etc. The v6 is not slow. I have a v6 with the 6spd manual and its fun to drive. You won't regret trying out a tacoma as something new. I've owned plenty of chevys (still have a k5), but i like my toyota and the thought of having many years of dependability to come. All of the chevy's i've owned in the past have had to have motors or transmissions or something and i got burned out working on them all the time. Im on my 3rd tacoma since 2002 and i will probably always have some sort of toyota truck in my driveway.

5. Nov 9, 2013 at 3:32 PM
    Vengien

Vengien [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kye
    Oxford, ms
    How much extra will the supercharger cost me?
    Should I get a manual or auto? ( i can drive ether)
    This will b my everyday driver no pulling or hauling anything heavier than a 4-wheeler.
    Trd vs sr5?
    What other options should i ask for?
    Thanks for all the help guys.

6. Nov 9, 2013 at 3:46 PM
    TR90125

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD Sport
    Bone stock for now....
    IMO the best part of the TRD Sport is the front sport bucket seats. Very supportive and they get good reviews on TW when compared to non sport seats.

Most of the other Sport package is cosmetic, hood scoop, color matched door handles, mirrors with turn signals, color matched bumpers. I am not a fan of the sport alloys. They are 17 inch wheels. Off road package loses the color matched items and adds a rear locking diff., 16 inch wheels with AT tires and some other items. I don't think you can get a long bed with the off road package.

TRD Supercharger is around $3800 plus install. I 'm sure it's fun to have, but I don't think it's a must have.

If I had to do it over again I would order a truck with all weather flooring instead of carpet.

7. Nov 9, 2013 at 3:49 PM
    Vengien

Vengien [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kye
    Oxford, ms
    I'm not worried about stock rims and tires since I will b upgrading shortly after I buy the truck. Seems like the trd sport is the way to go.

8. Nov 9, 2013 at 3:58 PM
    TR90125

Member:
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB TRD Sport
    Bone stock for now....
    I agree and I'm getting new rims soon. I was hoping to burn through my stock tires before dropping cash on new rims AND tires. The stock tires on the sport package don't bring much money even as brand new take offs. Probably get a set of FJ trail teams.

Good luck with your purchase.

9. Nov 9, 2013 at 5:31 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Unless you REALLY want to shift your truck for the next 10+ years I'd get the automatic.

10. Nov 9, 2013 at 6:18 PM
    TacoTrooper

TacoTrooper Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Double Cab 6-spd manual
    2013 TRD Sport DCSB 6-spd manual
    I traded in a 2004 z71 Silverado for my 2013 DCSB TRD Premium 4x4 back in June. Some notes: my Chev was way quieter, and it took bumps and dips in the road like a champ with no jarring or noise. The Tacoma is much noiser and Even small bumps are more noticeable. Obviously not nearly as torque as a small block V8, and my manual trans is not buttery smooth like my old trucks autobox.

Overall the Tacoma is a more youthful and fun truck to drive and likely more reliable with a better resale value. Just don't expect a full sized feeling truck with a high-powered engine if you make the switch.

Good luck.

11. Nov 9, 2013 at 6:41 PM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    Bought my '06 brand new, 87k miles nothing but reg. maintenance. I got better throttle response by removing the secondary air filter. Always had plenty of power for pulling a camper, or loaded 1ton trailer.
    Good luck

12. Nov 9, 2013 at 7:32 PM
    username

username Fluffer

Member:
    Pendleton, Or
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco with some crap welded to it
    mostly stock
    I have both. The wifey's chevy has the dmax, and no major issues with it. It does have some electrical problems, like the door locks won't work with the remote, and it's kind of squeeky, but it gets the job done. The tacoma....is as reliable as a hammer. I abuse the hell out of it and it just works. It blows my mind how much abuse it soaks up without issue. Yeah, I have some suspension mods, but the motor and drivetrain are bone stock and won't die. I've tried to kill it. It's like a bad zombie movie, it just won't die.

GOPR0115_d047026f8a21d25aa7e59e11c8375895742d93bd.jpg

13. Nov 9, 2013 at 8:02 PM
    larrybbaker

larrybbaker Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    larry
    South Central PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB TRD SPORT 4WD
    OME 885 | Bilstein 5100 x 4 | WeatherTech Window Visors | VAIS Tech SiriusXM Adapter |Alpine KTP-445U Amp | Anytime fog light mod
    Have the DCLB TRD Sport V6. Plenty of power, decent ride. Does what I need it to do. This is my daily driver. Haul light loads as needed, no towing or off roading - yet. Moved up from a 2012 RC 4cyl which was WAY underpowered for my liking. Had a 2007 Tundra which I loved but was way more truck than I needed.

I think you will enjoy it and it will treat you well.

14. Nov 9, 2013 at 8:31 PM
    12 TRD OffRoad

12 TRD OffRoad Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma SR 4x4 utility package
    I traded a 2011 GMC slt 4x4 with the big 6.2 for my Tacoma and don't miss it one bit. I was GLAD to hand over the keys to the salesman when I bought my Tacoma. GM trucks have become such pieces of crap quality wise. Always some little damn thing going wrong with them, I got tired of it. The only way I'll ever go back to Obama motors is if Toyota stops making the Tacoma, my trucks gets totaled or something happens to it and there aren't any decent used ones, and if the Ford dealer is closed down.

15. Nov 9, 2013 at 8:46 PM
    TxFireman

TxFireman Factory Pilot

Member:
    San Antonio, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC-SB TRD-OR, tow package, entune/nav
    I'm a long time chevy guy as well, still own a couple of them, and to me the Taco's power to weight ratio is pretty on par with the chevy. In other words, the acceleration I get with the taco is about what my seat of the pants meter feels with the chevy's. That's with my v6 DCSB TRD-OR without a super charger. I'm sure the SC would add some get up and go, no doubt, but I don't think you need it for respectable get up and go. Of course, that could change with larger tires etc. Mine is still currently stock, for now.

There are a couple of small things I miss, moving over to the taco, that I would find on my 16 yo Z71, but they're not deal breakers. As for the shear size, I don't seem to have the need for a full size truck & bed anymore. Sure from time to time I will, but the smaller more nimble taco is going to suit my needs the majority of the time. Not to mention, the MPG in my 97 dropped off years ago, and no amount of trying to correct it has resolved it. I suspect that I will still be getting at or about the same MPG in my taco in the same number of years that I'm getting now. So, I personally don't subscribe to the whole, "You can get a full size truck that get's about as good MPG as the taco". Maybe it's the case in the newer ones and maybe it isn't. But in my experience, the mpg's drop off over time in the full sizes, and my buddys 08 taco has been consistent, like my 82 Toyota has.

16. Nov 10, 2013 at 6:54 PM
    dilligaff82

dilligaff82 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Off Road DCSB
    I think you're going to miss the creature comforts of a full size. I know I did. One of my least favorite things about these trucks is the lack of adjustability of the seats. I drive 146 miles round trip for work most days though, so comfort is high up on my list. But when it comes down to bullet proof reliability and a truck that is going to take whatever you throw at it over and over again you can't beat these things. Also, they have the second highest resale value of any vehicle on the market, right behind the FJ cruiser and one spot above Jeep Wranglers.

Products Discussed in

To Top