Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

DIY Bolt-On Frame Plates for Sliders

Old 11-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #1
1 Bored Clerk is one of the sharper tools in the shed1 Bored Clerk is one of the sharper tools in the shed1 Bored Clerk is one of the sharper tools in the shed1 Bored Clerk is one of the sharper tools in the shed1 Bored Clerk is one of the sharper tools in the shed1 Bored Clerk is one of the sharper tools in the shed1 Bored Clerk is one of the sharper tools in the shed1 Bored Clerk is one of the sharper tools in the shed1 Bored Clerk is one of the sharper tools in the shed1 Bored Clerk is one of the sharper tools in the shed1 Bored Clerk is one of the sharper tools in the shed
1 Bored Clerk's Tacoma Gallery
DIY Bolt-On Frame Plates for Sliders

I'm building sliders for my 2013 AC tacoma. I want mine to be bolt on so I will have to design/build my own frame plates. I'm sure there are many of you out there who would love to build your own sliders but have no interest in welding them to the frame, or designing your own bolt-on frame plates. So, in the interest of community, I plan on offering the necessary files to have a set made to anyone who asks. FOR FREE!! I will not offer the files up until I have my sliders completed and am happy with the fit on my truck. Keep an eye on this thread for progress on the entire slider project.

**FRAME PLATE FILES ARE READY! READ POST #45 FOR DETAILS!**

Here's a ROUGH mockup of where I'm headed

The tubing portion will not stick out this far. It's gross. I do like the overall shape though. The design may change quite a bit by the time I actually get there, of course. We'll see. I want to get a nice tight fit to the body...leaving approximately 3/4" clearance all around for frame/body flex.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #2
1 Bored Clerk is one of the sharper tools in the shed1 Bored Clerk is one of the sharper tools in the shed1 Bored Clerk is one of the sharper tools in the shed1 Bored Clerk is one of the sharper tools in the shed1 Bored Clerk is one of the sharper tools in the shed1 Bored Clerk is one of the sharper tools in the shed1 Bored Clerk is one of the sharper tools in the shed1 Bored Clerk is one of the sharper tools in the shed1 Bored Clerk is one of the sharper tools in the shed1 Bored Clerk is one of the sharper tools in the shed1 Bored Clerk is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Frame Plate Mock-Up

Here is the foam-core frame plate mockup. I will build this in CAD (Solidworks) and then make a flat template (.dwg file) for waterjet/laser/plasma cutting. I'm familiar with waterjet and like the finish of the cut but I will shop around to see what I can find for prices. Once the plate is cut, I'll have it bent to spec and then I'll be ready for a test fit.

After the test fit, I'll build all of the backing plates with attached nuts. I've got some ideas for making life easier, and hopefully stronger, in this regard.

I'll keep posting updates as they happen. This will likely be a month-long process so be patient.
Old 11-09-2013, 09:13 PM   #3
Raddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaddbus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Russell
Raddbus's Tacoma Gallery
Looking really nice, keep us posted, looking forward to end results.
Old 11-10-2013, 04:03 AM   #4
Civil Servant
floridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shedfloridaoccifer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
floridaoccifer's Tacoma Gallery
Your make it or break it point will come with your final price point. The look is great through!
Old 11-10-2013, 06:31 AM   #5
I'm not looking to sell anything. I'm just hoping to build myself some sliders that I like and give others the opportunity to do the same.

I dig the look. I have the sliders in CAD...with the reduced kickout and it looks so much better. I need to take some more measurements and make sure I have it all dialed in for a decent fit on the truck. I'll post up screen grabs of the CAD and post them up later today.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:43 AM   #6
custom90gt is a name known to allcustom90gt is a name known to allcustom90gt is a name known to allcustom90gt is a name known to allcustom90gt is a name known to allcustom90gt is a name known to all

Army: 5/19 SFG(A)
custom90gt's Tacoma Gallery
looks great, thanks for your hard work.
Old 11-10-2013, 06:49 AM   #7
RTD is on a distinguished road

RTD's Tacoma Gallery
Old 11-10-2013, 10:05 AM   #8
plurpimpin is one of the sharper tools in the shedplurpimpin is one of the sharper tools in the shedplurpimpin is one of the sharper tools in the shedplurpimpin is one of the sharper tools in the shedplurpimpin is one of the sharper tools in the shedplurpimpin is one of the sharper tools in the shedplurpimpin is one of the sharper tools in the shedplurpimpin is one of the sharper tools in the shedplurpimpin is one of the sharper tools in the shedplurpimpin is one of the sharper tools in the shedplurpimpin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
plurpimpin's Tacoma Gallery
Subscribed! I want to weld up my own sliders this winter but I want mine bolt on as well. I've contacted a few companies about buying their bolt on plates to use on my sliders but no one wants to sell them alone. I look forward to seeing how yours turn out.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:17 PM   #9
It's not rocket science to make these plates, but it is a little time consuming. Of course, I only have about 5 hours into it so far...and I have them done in CAD at this point. The cost is going to come when I get them cut. CNC Waterjet (laser and plasma) charge by inch of cut and cut tolerance. There are a LOT of inches of cut on these. You could totally cut these out by hand but I'm not interested in that kind of 'fun'.

I also understand a company not wanting to sell just the frame plates. Small shops have to turn a profit to stay in existence (and provide awesome product and services to all of us!) and my guess at this point is that there isn't much profit to be made on the frame plates (at prices people would actually want to pay). They probably make most of their profit on the rest of the slider. The time and material equation is probably a lot more positive on that end. Total guess, of course.
Old 11-10-2013, 05:23 PM   #10
Progress update: I've got the main rail and frame bracket in CAD. I need to take some additional measurements and make some adjustments to the main rail but I'm getting closer! I'll print out a full size paper template from CAD and make sure that all the clearance and mounting holes line up to the frame then get them off to be cut/bent.

Old 11-21-2013, 03:32 PM   #11
The frame plate files are out for quote! Hopefully I'll get some numbers very soon. I imagine that I will get the first set in and have to make some adjustments (alter mounting holes a bit). I may get lucky and they'll fit the first time but I'm not expecting that.

I'll be completely transparent about this process including what I paid to get things done. I think it will be very interesting to see how this whole process moves and changes as people take this on as their own.

I'm tweaking my actual rock rail design and taking additional measurements. I'm hoping to have that all pretty solidified next week. I'll post up new screen shots when I have them.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:38 PM   #13
Still waiting on two other quotes (for reference) but I went ahead and gave the green light to the first quote. Partly because the price seemed fair to me and partly because he can get the frame plates done (laser cut and bend) by the end of day Wednesday. This timing was important because I will be flying solo for the weekend after Thanksgiving which means it's a perfect time to goof off in the garage!

Now to the info you're actually interested in:

3/16" steel
Laser Cut
Bend

$64.00 for each frame plate. $128 total! Totally fair in my book.

I'll post up the other quotes when they come back just so you can see the range. I may get a cheaper quote...and that's fine. This is all about learning.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:47 PM   #14
Picked up the frame plates today! They look really good. They are also quite heavy. Apparently, 3/16" steel weighs a LOT. Who knew? I may consider taking some material out once I get the legs welded on. We'll see...

So, these were $128...total! That includes the steel, laser cutting, and bending. I'm sure I'll be using this company again for the laser cutting I'll need done for the outer part of my sliders. Not to mention the front and rear bumpers that have been floating around in my head.

Then I did the 'ol 'Hold 'em up there and admire' test fit. Looks really promising. The bolt on the bottom of the frame where the rear crossmember is was REALLY tight and I didn't feel like getting my breaker bar from the garage (across the damn apt complex) so I left it. Regardless, I could get a pretty decent look at the fit and I'm optimistic.

I'm going to work on these this weekend. The idea is to get all of the backing plates made so that I can actually bolt these solidly in place. Then, time allowing, I'll see about welding the slider legs on and maybe the main 2"x3" tube under the door. I want to make sure the frame plate system (frame plates and backing plates) is dialed so that I can release the files for those of you that want to try your hand at making your own sliders!
Old 11-27-2013, 04:09 PM   #15
Dude
TacoMiller is on a distinguished road

TacoMiller's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd Looks great
Old 11-27-2013, 04:31 PM   #16
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Since Derek shut down, this looks to be the only other game in town for a completely bolt-on solution. Thanks for putting the time into it to do it right, and make it repeatable. I'd leave the extra steel in the design. Removing it will cost more per inch, won't save enough weight to really make a difference, and protects the frame a little less.

Once you have these mounting plates perfected, I doubt it'd be hard for you to find volunteers for fitting to other frame configurations.
Old 11-27-2013, 06:46 PM   #17
Thanks!

There are several bolt on slider options out there. (They all recommend drilling...and I may too after some testing) I just wanted to make my own...and I have read several posts by folks that would also like to build their own but were held back by the idea if making the frame plates. I just want to empower those folks to go make something!

I hope that people take my files and make plates for dclb and standard cab trucks. That would be awesome! There has to be some similarities, right?
Old 11-27-2013, 07:12 PM   #18
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 Bored Clerk View Post
There are several bolt on slider options out there. (They all recommend drilling...and I may too after some testing) I just wanted to make my own...and I have read several posts by folks that would also like to build their own but were held back by the idea if making the frame plates. I just want to empower those folks to go make something!

I hope that people take my files and make plates for dclb and standard cab trucks. That would be awesome! There has to be some similarities, right?
AFAIK, Derek had the only true no-drill, bolt-on slider solution in production.

All of the others required drilling into the frame for full mounting. That's not a horrible proposition, but with frame rust issues still dogging the Tacoma, I didn't want to do anything to the frame that'd open the door to Toyota blaming a rust issue on me. The same goes for welding to the frame, cutting the front cab mounts, etc.

My skids are also completely bolt-on, no drilling involved. If I ever need to have Toyota inspect the frame, I can have all of the armor removed in an hour, and none of it will have had any effect on frame corrosion. If I hit something hard enough to fold up the armor or break the mounting hardware, I doubt any other solution I'd have used would've survived the hit.

There are similarities between the frames, but it would probably still require some time to do a good mock-up like you did. I realized that removing unneeded material may be worthwhile if it dropped shipping weight enough to offset the additional water jet cost.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:28 PM   #19
Gaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
Gaunt596's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
AFAIK, Derek had the only true no-drill, bolt-on slider solution in production.

All of the others required drilling into the frame for full mounting. That's not a horrible proposition, but with frame rust issues still dogging the Tacoma, I didn't want to do anything to the frame that'd open the door to Toyota blaming a rust issue on me. The same goes for welding to the frame, cutting the front cab mounts, etc.

My skids are also completely bolt-on, no drilling involved. If I ever need to have Toyota inspect the frame, I can have all of the armor removed in an hour, and none of it will have had any effect on frame corrosion. If I hit something hard enough to fold up the armor or break the mounting hardware, I doubt any other solution I'd have used would've survived the hit.

There are similarities between the frames, but it would probably still require some time to do a good mock-up like you did. I realized that removing unneeded material may be worthwhile if it dropped shipping weight enough to offset the additional water jet cost.
yep, looking to keep most of my mods either bolt on or "hidden" so that way if any recalls come up and can bring in the truck and the techs wont be able to blame me for whatever it is
Old 11-27-2013, 09:32 PM   #20
the habs fan
bulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shedbulhas is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
bulhas's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd for results