1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Need urgent advice on what my options are...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Whitecloud, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Nov 10, 2013 at 4:13 PM
    Whitecloud

Whitecloud [OP] Cloudy-fabricator of things

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnathan
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Superwhite 06 DCLB
    ICON Extended travel Coilovers, Custom leaf pack, custom sliders and F&R bumpers, 295 75 17 Toyo Open Country MT's, On-Board air with F+R connectors, On-Board water with quick disconnect shower.Trimmed fenders and body mount chop. LOTS of wiring, dual battery setup, Solar charging system, with some random lights spread around here and there.
    Hey all I need some help and advice. So long story short I got into a collision a couple months ago and rear ended another vehicle. Well his vehicle was totaled and I collided with him at maybe 5-8 mph and all it seemed like it did was tweak the bumper back and mess up the radiator core support. The shop that did the work and fixed the core support told me that they put the truck on the frame machine and inspected the frame and everything was okay and straight. Well about a week later I had to take the truck back in due to the radiator fan hitting the shroud when in reverse. They adjusted it and it was good for a couple days and started again. Took it back in and was told that the spot welds on the new support were broken and that I would be liable to fix it, almost $400.00, Well I decided to look today and see if I could adjust the radiator myself and when I opened the hood the engine looked crooked...
    [​IMG]
    So I started to look around and the drivers side motor mount was collapsed into the frame.
    [​IMG]

So I guess the question is......could the accident have cracked the frame and just driving caused it to collapse? I don't often haul ass on any dirt roads and haven't gone wheeling since before the accident. So I have no idea what to do and am concerned that they will total out the truck.

Please let me know what you guys think.

2. Nov 10, 2013 at 4:26 PM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    5-8 miles an hour and you totaled his vehicle??? Was he driving a fuckin pinto?

As far as your motor mount and the way the engine is sitting judging by the pic. That doesn't look good. It's kind of hard to tell by the bottom picture but the frame is cracked also (if I'm reading it right)?

3. Nov 10, 2013 at 4:33 PM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    Telling by your post you didn't go through insurance?

4. Nov 10, 2013 at 4:34 PM
    Whitecloud

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnathan
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Superwhite 06 DCLB
    ICON Extended travel Coilovers, Custom leaf pack, custom sliders and F&R bumpers, 295 75 17 Toyo Open Country MT's, On-Board air with F+R connectors, On-Board water with quick disconnect shower.Trimmed fenders and body mount chop. LOTS of wiring, dual battery setup, Solar charging system, with some random lights spread around here and there.
    He was driving a Ford econoline van and I hit it biased into the drivers side and wrinkled the whole drivers side rear. I was just told that that they might total it cause the floor was wrinkled too. And yes the frame now has a massive hole in it where the the motor mount bent into it. It looks like the frame cracked around the outside of the weld for the motor mount.

5. Nov 10, 2013 at 4:35 PM
    GWC

GWC Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Glen
    Homestead, Fl
    I believe if it were mine, I would Jack the engine back in place, spot weld the mount and then gusset the mount in place from what I see. It really depends if the frame gave way in that area or not. Even then a good frame shop can straighten and secure everything in place.

If the shop that done the original repairs welded the support in place, they should be liable for their work.

6. Nov 10, 2013 at 4:38 PM
    Whitecloud

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnathan
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Superwhite 06 DCLB
    That's my thought too. I just meed to talk to them and see what they say. I'm curious as to what they say about their frame inspection that I was told was done. And good idea about just jacking up the engine.

7. Nov 10, 2013 at 4:42 PM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    Bring your truck in and talk to them. Do not do it over the phone or touch anything. If you touch anything and they find out they may not help you at all. Talk to them and see what they say.

8. Nov 10, 2013 at 5:04 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    I'd be on the phone to your state's Bureau of Automotive Repair ASAP.
    That truck is unsafe and should not be driven in that condition. The shop is possibly criminally liable for releasing a vehicle in that condition.

9. Nov 10, 2013 at 6:50 PM
    Whitecloud

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnathan
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    Superwhite 06 DCLB
    I did but they only did the radiator core support but nothing else.

Planning on taking it in to the shop tomorrow and talking to them.

Yeah it is a little unsafe. So we will see what happens.

Products Discussed in

To Top