1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2013 pinging issues and towing

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Mpgillespie, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Nov 10, 2013 at 8:20 PM
    Mpgillespie

Mpgillespie [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Moore, OK
    Vehicle:
    13 PreDCSB Stormtroopen Taco
    Hey guys, my 13 Taco has been pinging like crazy. I've taken it in to dealership and called Toyota for this matter, and I repeatedly get told that a software fix is in the process and should be out 2-3 months from now (6-8 months ago). This thing sounds like a a couple people shaking cans of spray paint. I'm leery of towing my 4 wheeler (total weight 1,000 lbs) on a 1.5 hour trip. Should I or should I not. Also been planning on 15 hr road trip next month. Should I not attempt it in the truck? Opinions? Thanks in advance.

2. Nov 10, 2013 at 8:24 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    Drive your truck. Its on Toyota if it breaks. Should ask about getting an extened warranty also.

3. Nov 10, 2013 at 8:28 PM
    Mpgillespie

Member:
    Moore, OK
    Vehicle:
    I bought it when I bought the truck new. I now have 19,000 and seems to be worse.

4. Nov 10, 2013 at 8:31 PM
    TrdSurgie

TrdSurgie revised

Member:
    Oahu
    Check into lemon laws for your state. Its a problem, it affects the value and reliability.Toyota is looking to fix it for 9 months but can't. Sounds like lemon law to me.

5. Nov 10, 2013 at 8:35 PM
    KenLyns

KenLyns 8.75" Third Member

Member:
    Belly of the Beast
    Vehicle:
    4x4 TRD Off-Road Full-Auto
    LED Headlights, Volant CAI, 32" Duratracs
    Can you post a video of the "pinging"? The Tacoma V6 has solid bucket valve lifters, so there's quite a bit of valve chatter.

6. Nov 10, 2013 at 9:09 PM
    Mpgillespie

Member:
    Moore, OK
    Vehicle:
    I plan on making some videos tomorrow.

7. Nov 10, 2013 at 9:12 PM
    Mpgillespie

Member:
    Moore, OK
    Vehicle:
    I will do that I appreciate the advice.

8. Nov 10, 2013 at 10:00 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Did you try a higher octane gasoline?

9. Nov 10, 2013 at 10:43 PM
    Mpgillespie

Member:
    Moore, OK
    Vehicle:

I have, the symptoms lessened. But why should I have to put 91 octane in a brand new vehicle that is designed for 87. Just my opinion.

10. Nov 11, 2013 at 4:35 AM
    bigshug1

bigshug1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Concord, VA
    Vehicle:
    '16 DC Off-Road 4x4
    ^Mine do the same...and I use 90 octane ethanol free gasoline exclusively

11. Nov 11, 2013 at 5:29 AM
    smd3

smd3 Well-Known Member

Member:
    It's probably due to the winter blend, it might resolve itself in spring.

Change gas stations and bump the octane up until they come up with this software fix.

It does seem strange that it's pinging though.

12. Nov 11, 2013 at 5:44 AM
    RearViewMirror

RearViewMirror Saw things so much clearer once you... were in my

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig Christ
    State of Love and Trust
    Vehicle:
    2023 Subaru WRX GT
    I had a "slight" pinging issue with my 2011 pulling a steep hill every time I left the Fire Station to come home. It is a mile long hill and I could hear a slight pinging in the engine as it was pulling. I switched to 93 octane Shell V-Power and never had a issue with it again. I understand that the truck can run on just regular unleaded but after watching the fuel test done on Fifth Gear I run V-Power exclusively. Yeah... I pay about $.20 more per gallon but so what? It cost me maybe an extra $3 dollars to fill up each time with better fuel. Besides, fuel cost here right now is about $3 - $3.10 per gallon for V-Power. I personally think it is easier on the truck and it certainly can't hurt it.

I've haven't run anything but V-Power in the 13 (albeit only 2 tanks so far) and no pinging issues. If your's is pinging that bad I would definitely switch to a higher octane fuel first and see if that helps. I agree with you though... If it is rattling as bad as you say it is then that doesn't sound right.

13. Nov 11, 2013 at 5:46 AM
    savedone

savedone Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gerald
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    TRD off-road 6speed manual
    3 inch lift by dealer at purchase
    If it is pinging as bad as you say you are going to destroy the top end. My guess is that you have already done serious damage to it. Tell them to give you a loaner until they get this fixed or take the truck back and replace it with a new one.
    Let them know you are not waiting any longer or this will go to the lemon law process. If you are going to keep running it you need to run the highest Octane you can find.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  14. Nov 11, 2013 at 5:47 AM
    StAndrew

StAndrew Wait for it...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Hampton Roads, Va
    Vehicle:
    SR5 4x4TRD
    Intake, exhaust, lift. Typical stuff.
    If you want it to break, drive it. Toyota should fix it.

If not, try octane booster.

15. Nov 11, 2013 at 6:58 AM
    obscurotron

obscurotron Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. Nevada
    Vehicle:
    '14 DCSB 4x4
    Too many to list, and I've probably forgotten a bunch.
    See this thread if you haven't already:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/230991-2012-v6-dcsb-engine-knocking-1500-rpm.html

Toyota has been claiming a a 'fix' is in the works for approximately a year now, possibly as far back as 18 months ago. "The check is in the mail."

A guy local to me had an email exchange with Mike Sweers, Chief Engineer for Tacoma & Tundra, recently (PM me if you want Sweers' email address). Reading between the lines, it sure sounded like the Tacoma issue isn't going to be fixed. I base that on Sweers' suggestion that the former-Tacoma owner buy a Tundra, instead.

A few people have had success with high octane fuel (I did not, it still did it with 91), an one had success with iridium spark plugs (NGK, I think). Most people, based on the survey I put up a couple of months ago, have not had any luck. One owner had the top end of the engine completely replaced by Toyota, under warranty, and the problem came back a few weeks later (not much more can be said, he's currently involved in litigation right now).

Blaming gasoline blends MAY have some basis in reality, but it wouldn't necessarily be seasonal. A big difference between winter and summer blends is the removal of butane from gasoline during summer. Butane is very volatile, and increases evaporative emissions when gasoline in the tank heats up. The upside of butane is that it has a very high octane rating. In winter, refiners put butane back in - the cooler temperatures mean less concern over the Reid vapor pressure of gasoline.

I find it interesting that people can run lower (87) octane non-ethanol fuel and eliminate the problem. This could be a chemistry issue (water in the ethanol) or it could be an issue with the logic in the PCM, advancing timing, assuming it has X octane fuel, and then as the fuel degrades, you actually have a tank of X-n octane fuel, but the computer (for some reason) ignores the knock sensors.

It could also just be software. Toyota's software has been creeping into the light due to the unintended acceleration issues (UA). It's a big mess and it's possible that a signal from 1 or both knock sensors simply goes unnoticed (an interrupt is not generated when knock is detected).

Either way, most owners are screwed. The MT V6 trucks don't seem to have the problem, probably because revs stay higher due to gearing, or because owners keep the revs higher by manually shifting. The PCM in the AT V6 tries to sip fuel and will do stupid things like keep the truck in 5th gear at 30MPH, even under load, to a point. A point sufficient to lug the engine and cause the engine to ping. Manually shifting the AT can help.

16. Dec 11, 2013 at 5:30 AM
    Mpgillespie

Member:
    Moore, OK
    Vehicle:
    Well after much frustration with this stupid truck, and dealing with Toyota, I have traded my truck in for a new Jeep. This truck was sounding so bad, and often shuddering. I began to lose confidence in the reliability of this truck, concerned of breakdown towing my trailer or small road trips. Good luck everyone. I miss my truck and wish it would have worked out better

17. Dec 11, 2013 at 5:57 AM
    nextfriday

nextfriday Well-Known Member

Member:
    Indianapolis, IN
    Vehicle:
    13 SR5 Double Cab
    5100s@2.5", 2" aal Leer 100 XR w/ Yakima rails and towers 18x9 Pro Comp Rockwells Cooper Discoverer AT3 275 65 18
    Blame it on our gasoline. Motors aren't made to run on water. E85? What a friggin joke being played on the US population. Run an engine on non ethanol laced fuel and you'll see how a combustion engine is really meant to run.

18. Dec 11, 2013 at 6:11 AM
    Spindifferent

Spindifferent Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    2013 PreRunner 4.0 v6
    I have a 2013 v6 PreRunner that has a slight pinging sound and I've done a fair amount of heavy towing (horse, tractor) with it and I'm not concerned at all.

19. Dec 11, 2013 at 6:18 AM
    DEEVON911

DEEVON911 Semi-Pro

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Bethel Park, PA. Burb of da Burgh.
    Vehicle:
    2010 MGM Mostly Stock Off-Road 4x4
    TRD Cat-back Exhaust. Semi-Debadged. Trimmed down stock Antenna. Weathertech vent visors. TRD FJ Cruiser Center Cap Wheel Mod. 265/75/16 Firestone Destination A/T,s . Inverter tapped into for outlet in cab. Tacomaworld sticker which adds 5 hp.
    images_b45605dd92333fb337ea702dde4b9e7a0a6f6091.jpg

20. Dec 11, 2013 at 9:00 AM
    WeberSarge

WeberSarge Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Ohio, Illinois
    Vehicle:
    '08 SR5 TRD 4X4 Quad Cab , '77 FJ40
    Stock for now...
    Couple things -
    In speed limits of 30mph , I knock the shifter back a notch out of 5th gear auto position .
    Always use 91 octane non-alky fuel .
    Swapped out plugs recently to NGK iridium , big difference in throttle response and mileage . Stock plugs were worn badly and showing a lot of carbon . Throttle body/MAF was cleaned heavily late summer . I blame a lot of the issue on the plugs . Mine would only ping under very specific conditions , mostly when the trans would upshift too fast and load the snot out of it at low speeds . Never had an issue with hills if left up to the cruise since it's lazy and downshifts the trans resulting in overshooting the desired "set" speed by usually 5mph . It would ping if I laid into the throttle just shy of causing the trans to kick the convertor out , any more throttle input resulting in the convertor unlocking didn't produce ping at all . Seemed more like throttle position/timing related .

Just for reference , this is on slightly upsized LT265/75/16 Toyo ATII tire so there was a bit more torque load . I would think a simple software mod to the trans shift points /loading would surely help .
    Sarge

Products Discussed in

To Top