Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rear High Clearance Bumper Build

Old 11-19-2013, 07:11 PM   #21
I love your mom!
Slimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shedSlimwood Shady is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Sergeant First Class
Name: Linwood
Slimwood Shady's Tacoma Gallery
FYI, be sure to leave a decent gap under the tail light, if not, when the frame flexes, or if you drop off a rock onto it, it could flex up and brake the lights....
Old 11-19-2013, 07:13 PM   #22
tweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud of
tweeek's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slimwood Shady View Post
FYI, be sure to leave a decent gap under the tail light, if not, when the frame flexes, or if you drop off a rock onto it, it could flex up and brake the lights....
Yup... I left about 1/2 - 5/8 on my front and it never rubs.. I will do the same in the rear.

Thanks!
Old 11-19-2013, 07:15 PM   #23
Tail Striker
flyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cam
flyboy.co2's Tacoma Gallery
Lookin good!
Old 11-23-2013, 07:39 PM   #24
tweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud of
tweeek's Tacoma Gallery
Got a few more things done today. Fabbed the tire carrier portion of the tiregate. Also got the spindle welded in.

Going to get some gussets on tomorrow and finish the frame mounts.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:42 PM   #25
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great so far. I'm excited to see the final product.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:51 PM   #26
AZ hunter is on a distinguished road
Name: Kade
AZ hunter's Tacoma Gallery
This is all kinds of bad ass. Sub'd!
Old 11-24-2013, 10:12 PM   #27
4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed4x4Taco09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force:
Name: Dane
4x4Taco09's Tacoma Gallery
This is going to look sick! nice work
Old 11-24-2013, 10:25 PM   #28
Dusty taco is on a distinguished road

Name: Elijah
Dusty taco's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd can't wait to see how it turns out
Old 11-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #29
Because 4R
Wishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
Wishbone Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Great progress! A few questions:
  • What did you use for the recovery points, it looks quite thick and I assume you did not cut the holes through it?
  • How did you cut the circle for the tire mount
  • What spindle it that?
Old 11-27-2013, 12:21 PM   #30
tweeek's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishbone Runner View Post
Great progress! A few questions:
  • What did you use for the recovery points, it looks quite thick and I assume you did not cut the holes through it?
  • How did you cut the circle for the tire mount
  • What spindle it that?
The recovery points are just 2.5" by 3/4" flat bar. I trimmed the corners with a zip disc and drilled the center hole to 1" to accomodate a 3/4" shackle. I have a super duper wimpy and cheap drill press. It plowed through the 3/4 without issue as long as I kept it well lubed, went slow, and went up in 1/16 drill bit increments when I got above 5/8.

As for the tire holder, I have a plasma cutter that I was fortunate enough to borrow from a coworker. You can buy a precut circle or go with a triangular design with corners ground/cut off if you didnt have access to a plasma though.

The spindle is from Summit Machine. It is very nicely machined and VERY beefy.

Im moving pretty slow as I usually have very little time during the week to get much done. I will hopefully knock off some more this weekend!
Old 11-27-2013, 01:36 PM   #31
Because 4R
Wishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
Wishbone Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the info, keep up the good work!
Old 12-20-2013, 01:46 PM   #32
tweeek's Tacoma Gallery
I have been really bad about updating this thread, but I have been working on this in my spare time. Got quite a bit done.

Got all the pieces cut for the 1/4 panels

All tacked up

Starting to grind things down

I did decide to go dual swingout. The second spindle is welded in.

Gussets for the swingarm

Old 12-20-2013, 03:04 PM   #33
Tail Striker
flyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cam
flyboy.co2's Tacoma Gallery
Hot damn dood! That looks awesome!
Old 12-20-2013, 09:45 PM   #34
Im not like the other Crumbs, Im my own Crumb
NEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud of

Name: JAKE
NEWBIETACO's Tacoma Gallery
Wow can you say STOUT
Old 12-20-2013, 10:07 PM   #35
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
You have skills.
Old 12-21-2013, 08:59 AM   #36
Factory Pilot
TxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Water Sprayer & naysayer
TxFireman's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like it's coming along nicely. Great work!
Old 12-21-2013, 09:06 AM   #37
Ghost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
Ghost848's Tacoma Gallery
Looking good man, i ran a single swing out for jerry cans and spare, holding up well. Part of me wishes i went dual, but the other part is happy with what i went with

http://www.cruisinoffroad.com/bumper-tacoma-r.html#top
Old 12-21-2013, 10:34 AM   #38
tweeek's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost848 View Post
Looking good man, i ran a single swing out for jerry cans and spare, holding up well. Part of me wishes i went dual, but the other part is happy with what i went with

http://www.cruisinoffroad.com/bumper-tacoma-r.html#top
Ive seen yours, it is awesome! I ended up going duals but think I would have been okay either way. My only condition with going duals is that I can open the glass on the canopy with only the tire gate open. I dont think that is going to be a problem in my design.

I actually bought both my spindles from Jason at Cruisin Offroad, he was fantastic to deal with. I am just over the pond on Vancouver Island