Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rear High Clearance Bumper Build

Old 12-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #41
tweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud of
tweeek's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwithoutaplan View Post
does the tire shake at All?
Havent driven with it yet, I have it sitting on a big piece of nylon so it is secured on both sides and the latch is good for 2000 pounds. Im thinking it will be fine, can make adjustments if necessary.

Working on it right now, should have some more pics later today. I have to have it in a driveable form by monday, as we have a 1200km drive for chriatmas. Fuel containers wont be done, but I think most everything else should be ready.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:33 PM   #42
tweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud of
tweeek's Tacoma Gallery
Got quite a bit done today

Holes drilled for water drainage

Wheel studs pressed in

Christmas Baking: nylon seat for swing arm. Formed it over the edge of the main 4x4. Forgot to take a pic of finished product.

Primer!
Old 12-21-2013, 07:49 PM   #44
tex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
tex's Tacoma Gallery
Looking good. I really like the styling on the corners under the tail lights.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:30 PM   #45
tweeek's Tacoma Gallery
Got the bumper to a driveable condition today.

The trim I put on the cut edges of the bedside lasted for about 15 minutes before detaching and looking like crap, so I will need another source, or I will just leave it raw. I did paint the exposed metal. What are you guys with HC bumpers using?

Still to do:
Fuel can holder and swingout (2x 20L Scepter Cans)
License plate mount with light
Order 2x Flushmount LED reverse lights (thinking about these: http://www.rigidindustries.com/led-lighting/98003)

Pretty tight clearance here. This was a bit of an oversight on my part. I didn't build the bumper low enough the clear the gas shocks while the tailgate is down. Not quite as clean this way, but is functional.

This is the stop for the swing arm

Gotta fix that trim...
Old 12-22-2013, 06:37 PM   #46
tweeek's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manwithoutaplan View Post
does the tire shake at All?
After I mounted the bumper today, I took it for a drive. I hit some washboard gravel, and did some slow flexy crawling on a very short trail near my house. The verdict is that the swing arm is SOLID. I can pull on the top of the tire as hard as I can and all my energy is transferred directly to the suspension. Zero movement and no rattles. Should be all good
Old 12-22-2013, 06:44 PM   #47
Ghost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost848 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Tony
Ghost848's Tacoma Gallery
Looks awesome man i gotta test mine and do some asjustments
Old 12-22-2013, 06:51 PM   #49
NewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shedNewRider is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Travis, Truck: Baja
NewRider's Tacoma Gallery
Damn this things is nice!
Old 12-22-2013, 09:12 PM   #50
tex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shedtex is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Aaron
tex's Tacoma Gallery
This is what I used. Been on for almost 3 years and no issued. Got it from Oreilly's

Old 12-22-2013, 09:37 PM   #51
the full Monty
Manwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shedManwithoutaplan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Manwithoutaplan's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeek View Post
After I mounted the bumper today, I took it for a drive. I hit some washboard gravel, and did some slow flexy crawling on a very short trail near my house. The verdict is that the swing arm is SOLID. I can pull on the top of the tire as hard as I can and all my energy is transferred directly to the suspension. Zero movement and no rattles. Should be all good
Well done sir looks very good.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:08 PM   #52
Im not like the other Crumbs, Im my own Crumb
NEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud of

Name: JAKE
NEWBIETACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tex View Post
This is what I used. Been on for almost 3 years and no issued. Got it from Oreilly's

Thats what I got aswell.
Old 12-22-2013, 10:14 PM   #53
Li0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shedLi0nel1234 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Captain
Name: Lionel
Li0nel1234's Tacoma Gallery
Very impressive!
I wish I could do metal fabs like that...
Old 12-29-2013, 03:46 PM   #56
Because 4R
Wishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
Wishbone Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Sick, very nicely done. Your build has given me a lot of ideas and motivation.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:18 PM   #57
n0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shedn0rth is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: USDI BLM
Name: J.W.
n0rth's Tacoma Gallery
Checked out both the bumpers you have built looks killer, guessing some skids and sliders are next to build?
Old 12-29-2013, 05:40 PM   #58
Gregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gregman's Tacoma Gallery
Look great. Your springs seem to be carrying all that weight pretty good. You notice any difference wheeling with all that weight back there?
Old 12-30-2013, 08:39 AM   #59
tweeek's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregman View Post
Look great. Your springs seem to be carrying all that weight pretty good. You notice any difference wheeling with all that weight back there?
Really dont notice any difference. The bumper weighs about 165 lbs witht the swingout. I weighed the old bumper and hitch at about 90. I dropped maybe an 1/8" not really noticable.

The fuel cans will add alot of weight, but the tire and cans always sat in the back behind the axle when I was on extended trips anyway, so I dont expect much of a difference from what it was before.

They are allpro expos btw
Old 12-30-2013, 09:07 AM   #60
tri2hunt is on a distinguished road
Name: Micah
tri2hunt's Tacoma Gallery
This looks really good!! Any idea on how much you have in materials?
Thanks