Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Rear High Clearance Bumper Build

Old 11-11-2013, 08:54 AM   #1
tweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud of
tweeek's Tacoma Gallery
Rear High Clearance Bumper Build

I have started fabbing a rear HC bumper for the taco... My plan was to do a swingout with a 33 (probably a 35 sometime in the future) and 2x20L Scepter MFC. I have a Summit machined spindle coming in the mail, but I am concerned of all the weight on a single swingarm, and am considering going with duals.

Can anyone chime in who has 2 cans on their swingout??

Main body is a 4x4x1/4 hopefully have the mounts and recovery points finished today....

Obviously the sides havent been cut to legnth yet. Waiting on my spindle to come.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #3
tweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud oftweeek has much to be proud of
tweeek's Tacoma Gallery

My plan is to bolt the recovery point to the mounting plate with a couple 5/8 grade 8 bolts. The way I have the mounting plate sitting inside the 4x4, it would be impossible to weld the recover point while inside the tube, or if I welded it first, I couldn't get the recovery point through the hole in the front of the bumper without making it quite large because of the "keylock" design.

Ill get the other one drilled out and hopefully get them welded in today.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:15 AM   #4
Factory Pilot
TxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shedTxFireman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Water Sprayer & naysayer
TxFireman's Tacoma Gallery
Looking good! Subbed to watch the progress.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
Because 4R
Wishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shedWishbone Runner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
Wishbone Runner's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd, you have some very cool design features going on there.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:01 PM   #6
jsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shedjsi is one of the sharper tools in the shed
jsi's Tacoma Gallery
I've built a couple of off road capable Jeep bumpers and I like what you're doing. On my last build I put one 5 gallon gas can (30#), one 5 gallon water can (40#), Hi Lift jack (25#), and a 33" (75#) spare on the swing out. 180 to 200 pounds when everything is accounted for. There are a couple of problems with that arrangement.
  • When the swing arm is open to 90 degrees it wants to twist off the frame. I accounted for that by reinforcing the frame.
  • All of that weight bends the swing arm. On my bumper the difference loaded with gas vs empty was about 3/8". Depending on the closure method that may or may not be an issue.
  • On mine the whole thing wanted to rock back and forth. That was mostly because the jeep's layout forced the weight up high.
  • When you open the swing arm you've got to control it so it doesn't swing out of control. Ideally there would be a way to lock it open.
If I was going to build another bumper with gas cans on it I'd look for a way to mount them lower. That said it still worked pretty well.
Attached Thumbnails
Rear High Clearance Bumper Build-bumper1.jpg   Rear High Clearance Bumper Build-bumper2.jpg   Rear High Clearance Bumper Build-bumper3.jpg   Rear High Clearance Bumper Build-bumper4.jpg  
Old 11-15-2013, 07:51 PM   #7
tweeek's Tacoma Gallery
Havent had alot of time to work on this in the last few days, but got a few things done.

Got the recovery points drilled and welded in. I changed my desig a little and as it turned out I had plenty of room to weld them front and rear, so the 5/8 bolts were really redundant, but I had already drill pressed the holes.. no matter.

Got my main mounting plates welded in. Definitely not my best welding, but it was pretty awkward welding inside the 4x4. This is only my 2nd metalwork project really.

Spindle came in the mail... this thing is extremely beef! Just to give an idea of scale, thats a 35mm axlenut socket beside it lol. I pounded the bearing races in and got it ready to go.

Laying the swingout out
Old 11-15-2013, 11:04 PM   #8
Tail Striker
flyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cam
flyboy.co2's Tacoma Gallery
Sweet man! I'll be building a couple rear bumpers here real soon...

So far yours is awesome!
Old 11-15-2013, 11:11 PM   #9
Very nice how much?
Forster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shedForster46 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Firefighter/EMT
Name: Nick
Forster46's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to Forster46
I want to build a swingout really bad. But I don't want it high clearance to the point where I chop the panels. I want one that just takes the place of stock with no trimming. With a simple swing out with tire carrier, sceptor can holders, and probably a highlift mount.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:14 PM   #10
Im not like the other Crumbs, Im my own Crumb
NEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud ofNEWBIETACO has much to be proud of

Name: JAKE
NEWBIETACO's Tacoma Gallery
Worst case if you rip one of the tow points out you got another one and the hitch if both fail, but it looks pretty damn stout.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:20 AM   #11
ckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ckeene9's Tacoma Gallery
On the swing out latch, make sure it is completely captured. Otherwise with all the weight it will make some god awful noises on bumps and on the trail. Synergy suspension makes an interesting latch that looks like it would work well.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:46 AM   #12
tweeek's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeene9 View Post
On the swing out latch, make sure it is completely captured. Otherwise with all the weight it will make some god awful noises on bumps and on the trail. Synergy suspension makes an interesting latch that looks like it would work well.
Yes, rattling will be a concern. I saw the synergy suspension latch, and really, really like it, but I had a couple concerns over the standard ubolt latch. I have no experience with the latch personally, so I could be wrong on all accounts, just my observations. My truck is used and abused regularly offroad and fast travel on washboards etc. This wont be just for looks lol

1- it latches onto a piece of round stock that you weld onto the swingout. Because its round, it wont eliminate any forward/backward torsion as you go over bumps on the trail, I imagine the runnd stock rotating within the latch. This would add alot more stress onto the spindle as well. With a square tube latched securely to the bumper itself, it would seem to have less forward backwards movement, probably less rattling.

2- it seems like it latches closed, but doesnt grab the stock very hard. I am worried about it rattling.

Maybe someone who is using the synergy latch can chimee in and prove me wrong??? I know Mr Grimm has one on his custom swingout. I already ordred a standard ubolt latch, but it is still plenty early to go to another design if it is better.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:51 AM   #13
tweeek's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWBIETACO View Post
Worst case if you rip one of the tow points out you got another one and the hitch if both fail, but it looks pretty damn stout.
Thanks forthecomment, there is no way they will rip out now. They are welded directly to the mounting plates and through the front face. Ontop of all that I can leave the grade 8 bolts in I was originally planning on using instead of welding the backside lol

I really want to keep working on the bumpe this weekkend, but I am heading out of town. Will update in a few days
Old 11-16-2013, 07:59 AM   #14
tweeek's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyboy.co2 View Post
Sweet man! I'll be building a couple rear bumpers here real soon...

So far yours is awesome!
Sweet! I watched your build for your original front... I really liked the design. Great job btw, It really helped motivate me to do my own front. Build is located here:http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sho....php?p=7308764

Looking forward to seeing your progress on your new designs!
Old 11-16-2013, 08:15 AM   #15
ckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ckeene9's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeek View Post
Yes, rattling will be a concern. I saw the synergy suspension latch, and really, really like it, but I had a couple concerns over the standard ubolt latch. I have no experience with the latch personally, so I could be wrong on all accounts, just my observations. My truck is used and abused regularly offroad and fast travel on washboards etc. This wont be just for looks lol

1- it latches onto a piece of round stock that you weld onto the swingout. Because its round, it wont eliminate any forward/backward torsion as you go over bumps on the trail, I imagine the runnd stock rotating within the latch. This would add alot more stress onto the spindle as well. With a square tube latched securely to the bumper itself, it would seem to have less forward backwards movement, probably less rattling.

2- it seems like it latches closed, but doesnt grab the stock very hard. I am worried about it rattling.

Maybe someone who is using the synergy latch can chimee in and prove me wrong??? I know Mr Grimm has one on his custom swingout. I already ordred a standard ubolt latch, but it is still plenty early to go to another design if it is better.
Nothing wrong with a standard u-bolt latch, snug and strong.
Old 11-16-2013, 10:26 AM   #16
Tail Striker
flyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyboy.co2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Cam
flyboy.co2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeek View Post
Sweet! I watched your build for your original front... I really liked the design. Great job btw, It really helped motivate me to do my own front. Build is located here:http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sho....php?p=7308764

Looking forward to seeing your progress on your new designs!
Your front end came out killer! I'm really excited to see how this rear your building turns out!
Old 11-16-2013, 01:11 PM   #17
TACO LOVER!
!TacoTaco! is a glorious beacon of light!TacoTaco! is a glorious beacon of light!TacoTaco! is a glorious beacon of light!TacoTaco! is a glorious beacon of light!TacoTaco! is a glorious beacon of light

Law Enforcement:
Name: Felix
!TacoTaco!'s Tacoma Gallery
What kind of welder do you have? I would like to do some projects of my own but I don't know anything about welding.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:38 PM   #18
tweeek's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felixh View Post
What kind of welder do you have? I would like to do some projects of my own but I don't know anything about welding.
Its a Lincoln sp175 plus. Great little welder. It does need 220v, you will have a hard time welding anything above 1/8 on 110. I also have gas setup... I am using 100% Co2. 1/4 plate is pretty much the limit of this setup to get really good penetration. It will weld alot thicker, but wouldnt want it to be structural.

Its my first welder, my advice would be to buy the biggest welder you can afford, as you will outgrow you welder you "just bought to learn on" Go big, you wont be disappointed
Old 11-19-2013, 07:04 PM   #20
tweeek's Tacoma Gallery
Got a few more things done. Progress is slow but surely moving forward.

Did some CAD work (Cardboard Aided Design lol) Mocked up the wrap around sides and got the holes drilled for the spindles. There is gunna be alot of pieces to cut out! Lol

Still have to finish the mounting brackets before I start putting the sides together I think.

I think.