1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Toytec/Bilstein height adjustable coilover clones?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by steveo27, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Nov 11, 2013 at 4:51 PM
    steveo27

steveo27 [OP] Ask me about my weiner

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Off Road & 1992 VW GLI
    The same shit everyone else has.
    Basically, I would like to lift my truck a bit more than it currently is and I'm interested in the Toytec/Bilstein coilover kit.

I already have a set of 5100s installed on my truck, but I am using stock TRD Offroad springs on them. The Bilsteins are set at 1.75" but do not add enough lift. I would like to replaced the OEM coil springs with a set of Eibach springs that Toytec sells and set the Bilsteins to .85 to achieve 3" of lift.

From what I keep reading, I need some sort of top plate to achieve the full 3" of lift, but I'm confused as to which top plate spacer I need.

I have everything figured out except for the top spacer portion.

Which top plate kit is recommended? The .25" or the .75"? Does it install between the upper spring perch and the coil spring or does it install between the spring perch and the body mount?

2. Nov 11, 2013 at 4:58 PM
    Wheelspinner

Wheelspinner Coco Customs

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Northern NJ
    Vehicle:
    '13 4x4x4cyl
    The top plate spacer requires longer studs on the top of your strut, I believe the spacer kit from Toytec includes these but don't quote me on that. Then the spacer goes between the strut and the top mount. The thickness depends on how you plan your build with added weight from bumper, winch, etc.

3. Nov 11, 2013 at 4:59 PM
    Asianguywithatruk

Asianguywithatruk Well-Known Member

Member:
    CenCal
    Vehicle:
    05 taco DCSB
    King RR coilovers Ironman leaf springs 17" scs sr8 jet black 285 75 17 Yokohama geolandar Demello front bumper Brute force rear bumper
    My exact setup. I have 1/2" spacers on both side and they go between the spring perch and body mount. Im about to change the passenger side to a 1/4" spacer to compensate for the taco lean. I got about 3-3.5" of lift.

4. Nov 11, 2013 at 6:23 PM
    steveo27

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    Neat.

So the Eibach + the 5100s set at .85 with no extra added weight over the front wheels will give the 3" of lift without the additional spacer? The spacer is just used if the truck is modified (with steel bumper, winch, ect)?

I don't plan on adding anything to the front save for a set of Hella driving lights behind the grille.

Can the stock upper control arms support the Eibach/Bilstein combo?

5. Nov 11, 2013 at 6:29 PM
    Asianguywithatruk

Asianguywithatruk Well-Known Member

Member:
    CenCal
    Vehicle:
    05 taco DCSB
    King RR coilovers Ironman leaf springs 17" scs sr8 jet black 285 75 17 Yokohama geolandar Demello front bumper Brute force rear bumper
    Without the spacers, youll get approximately 2.5" of lift and you wont need aftermarket UCA.

6. Nov 13, 2013 at 5:48 AM
    steveo27

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    OK.

Which top plate spacers are they exactly? I'm assuming the 1/4" ones because they lift the vehicle 1/2".

Also, Ive been thinking, Toytec sells coilover "kits" for the 5100s, which are nothing more than threaded sleeves/perches sthat slide over the strut body in placed of the lower spring perch.

I have a set of old Ground Control coilover sleeves from my VW and was thinking of using the sleeves/perches for more adjustment vs the clirclip alone.

Has any one made their own coilovers like this using a set of sleeves and the Eibach springs? Does anyone know the outside diameter of the 5100 bodies?

I'm sure its easily doable, I'm just over thinking it probably.

:beer:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top