1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

3 inch lift questions

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by CTtaco08, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Nov 12, 2013 at 6:29 PM
    CTtaco08

CTtaco08 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Curtis
    Vancouver BC
    Vehicle:
    08 V6 SR5 4x4
    Hey all,
    I've done a lot of research on this site already but I still have a few questions if you guys don't mind helping me out! :)

I'm gonna go with the 3" toytec ULK, but I don't know if I should spend the money on the extras. For someone who uses his truck as a daily driver it needs to be good on the road, but at the same time be a reliable rig out in the bush. Here are some of my questions:

- is it worth spending the extra money for the OME Dakars? I don't generally haul heavy loads but do have my boat hooked up once and a while (tounge weight no more than 800lb), I also plan on getting a plate bumper for the rear so would that be enough weight to help with the "harsh" ride of an unloaded bed with the Dakars?

- are aftermarket UCA's needed? I want whats best for my truck but at the same time adding both the Dakars and UCA's basically double the price of the lift

- I love the look of the KMC Addicts, looking at 17x9, I know there will be some trimming to be done with 285/70/17's durratracts, but would they rub on the stock UCA's? Do you need aftermarket UCA's for a 9" wide rim?

Any and all help is much appreciated, Thank you !!

2. Nov 12, 2013 at 6:45 PM
    geekhouse23

geekhouse23 The "Liftman" - @DrFunker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2GMGMDCSB4WDTRDFTMFW!! TL;DR
    mostly stock, grocery gettin' Prius
    Welcome to TW :wave:

I bought an OME kit so I will try to be as helpful as I can:

- I went the cheaper route and got the AAL over Dakars; I will be upgrading to Dakars in the spring/summer. I am starting to get a bit of sag and I believe AALs crap out after 10 -15k (someone correct me if I am wrong). I tow boats a few times a year, motorcycles, and snowboarding gear in the winter. If I had to do it again, I would get Dakars right away, if you can afford it.

- Anything over 2.5" of lift, it is recommended you get new UCAs. I went with Light racing for the reviews and price; best bang for your buck if you're on a budget and are a "pavement princess" most of the time. I love them and they've held up great so far.

Check my build thread in my signature and here is a link to my OME kit install/review/results thread: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-builds/293161-ome-kit-finally-installed.html

3. Nov 14, 2013 at 10:20 AM
    CTtaco08

CTtaco08 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Curtis
    Vancouver BC
    Vehicle:
    08 V6 SR5 4x4
    So dakars for sure then hahaaha.
    Ive heard good things about the Total Chaos UCA's, would they be better for off-roading than the light racing ones you can get through Toytec?

4. Nov 14, 2013 at 10:47 AM
    geekhouse23

geekhouse23 The "Liftman" - @DrFunker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2GMGMDCSB4WDTRDFTMFW!! TL;DR
    mostly stock, grocery gettin' Prius
  5. Nov 14, 2013 at 11:14 AM
    YotaDan

YotaDan Dan

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Oregon
    The aftermarket UCAs are not required, but will provide better handling characteristics if you are lifting he front 2.25"+

6. Nov 15, 2013 at 10:17 AM
    CTtaco08

CTtaco08 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Curtis
    Vancouver BC
    Vehicle:
    08 V6 SR5 4x4
    well I want to run 285/70/17s on the front so i'm pretty sure i'm going to have to crank up the coil overs to the full 3 inches

Products Discussed in

To Top