Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Taking out interior scratches

Old 09-20-2007, 08:30 PM   #1
Can speak french in Russian.
ZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to beholdZonKs is a splendid one to behold

ZonKs's Tacoma Gallery
Taking out interior scratches

I have some scratches on the passenger's side inside door panel (the black part just below the window). Does anyone have any idea how to fix this, or at least lessen their visibility? I really dont want to shell out $480 for a new door panel, and the little girls at COOL IT WINDOW TINT in Upland, CA (NEVER GO TO THIS PLACE!), will not man up and take responsibility for wrecking my interior.

Any help at all would be appreciated greatly.

Ted
Old 09-20-2007, 08:49 PM   #2
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
i wouldnt mind finding out either. i have some small ones in mine. i was thinking about one of the vinyl repair kits that you can mix to match ur color...but i dunno how well it'd work
Old 09-21-2007, 09:03 AM   #3
hokihigh is on a distinguished road
hokihigh's Tacoma Gallery
Blow dryer on high, or a heat gun on the lowest setting, just heat and rub
Old 09-21-2007, 09:12 AM   #4
Light-tower is on a distinguished road

Light-tower's Tacoma Gallery
Can you show me a picture of what you want to get rid of?
Old 09-22-2007, 11:37 AM   #5
bbarian333 is on a distinguished road

bbarian333's Tacoma Gallery
Wow Zonks, That scares me. Just had my windows tinted. I got lucky , only a few light scratches in the rubber around the back windows. But i now have a few bubbles in a couple windows and im taking it back. I'm going to have to watch them like a hawk to make sure they do no damage.
Old 09-23-2007, 06:37 AM   #6
Secret Agent
Viper-2 will become famous soon enough
Viper-2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokihigh View Post
Blow dryer on high, or a heat gun on the lowest setting, just heat and rub
Really?? (Spoken in a Stan Marsh voice)
Old 09-23-2007, 11:55 AM   #7
robj is on a distinguished road
robj's Tacoma Gallery
Smile

There is a company called Chem-Pak they specialize in flaw repair spray for injection molded products. We use it at our work (we do interior products for several oems) and I have used it on a guys Tacoma as well with good results. You will need to lighten the scratches up with a propane torch not anything hotter or it will melt. Use a torch with a push button ignition and lightly pop the scratches out. then go over the plastic with Chem-Pak "A" or "AA" gloss spray for polypropylene. This will give it a even appearance. This will lighten the scratches up considerable and blend them in but will not completely repair them.

PS be sure to mask anything up that you do not want the spray on and be sure to read the mfg instructions.
Old 09-23-2007, 12:08 PM   #8
Mudbug is on a distinguished road

Mudbug's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post
There is a company called Chem-Pak they specialize in flaw repair spray for injection molded products. We use it at our work (we do interior products for several oems) and I have used it on a guys Tacoma as well with good results. You will need to lighten the scratches up with a propane torch not anything hotter or it will melt. Use a torch with a push button ignition and lightly pop the scratches out. then go over the plastic with Chem-Pak "A" or "AA" gloss spray for polypropylene. This will give it a even appearance. This will lighten the scratches up considerable and blend them in but will not completely repair them.

PS be sure to mask anything up that you do not want the spray on and be sure to read the mfg instructions.
What an awesome first post to the forum!

Welcome to Tacoma World!
Old 09-23-2007, 05:55 PM   #9
rpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to beholdrpoint16 is a splendid one to behold

rpoint16's Tacoma Gallery
A local audio compant put some scratches on my lower dash while installing a mp3 connection. They have a company that comes out and mixes & matches paint for touch-ups. Which got me thinking...

Why not just pop out one of your removable interior holders, take it to Home Depot & have them computer match the color. They can test it on the back opf the pop out. Usually only $6 for a QT (the smallest size I think).
Old 09-23-2007, 07:50 PM   #10
reid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shedreid is one of the sharper tools in the shed

reid's Tacoma Gallery
the heat gun idea is the right way to do it.

I removed some small scratches just by rubbing them with the round smooth plastic handle of a screw driver. For the large ones I uses a heat gun on the lowest setting and used the same rubbing idea.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:18 AM   #11
Banned
danusa will become famous soon enoughdanusa will become famous soon enough
Army: Para Ranger, Inf. SF CIB
danusa's Tacoma Gallery
My wife complained about our belt guns scratching the chairs. I have the friends and the sidearms but not the wife.
Old 02-10-2010, 05:39 PM   #12
Airwolf NSX is on a distinguished road

Airwolf NSX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post

going to revive an old post... but a PROPANE TORCH!?!?!?! Has anyone else tried this?
Old 09-25-2010, 03:49 PM   #13
twostring is on a distinguished road
twostring's Tacoma Gallery
Sorry to revive an old thread a second time, but I just tried the heat gun method to remove a scratch on my dash (gray interior) and it worked perfectly. I didn't have to rub out the second scratch. As soon as the plastic was warm enough, the plastic kind of folded in to the scratch and it vanished instantly. For the most part, the overall texture of the dash is intact as well. Not like new, but hard to tell the difference.

Also, be very careful when heating up an area with another panel close by. Although the plastic looks the same (same color and texture), the type of plastic may be different and melt quickly. I ran into this problem with the dash tray just below the ignition.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:58 PM   #14
jpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NDT/QA
Name: Jimmy
jpmorrisvb's Tacoma Gallery
To remove scratches and what have you I have heated up a clean putty knife with a bernzomatic torch .... got it red hot ... and ever so gently "smoothed" the effective area.

I tried it several times on an odd piece of similar plastic I had laying around until I got the right "feel" of doing this.

Try it on an area not out in the open.

Another way is using a bic lighter and just barely going near the surface.

These are tried and true methods.

I am not responsible for any damage to you (3rd degree burns), you Tacoma (holes melted through), or you garage (being burnt down).