Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

locking gas cap for 2014 taco

Old 11-13-2013, 05:27 AM   #1
2starchief is on a distinguished road
Name: Chief
2starchief's Tacoma Gallery
locking gas cap for 2014 taco

The dealer said not to use any locking gas caps. I'm a LE/Mil guy and security has been always an issue. Anyway, has anyone put a locking gas cap on their 2014 without any engine lights coming on? I've looked for a locking gas lid but to no avail.

Thanks!

Chief
Old 11-13-2013, 06:50 AM   #2
JimBob will become famous soon enoughJimBob will become famous soon enough

Navy: HMC, USN (FMF) (Retired)
Name: Jim
JimBob's Tacoma Gallery
I got this one from Amazon as soon as I got my 2014- Gates 31780 Fuel Tank Cap. Cost $14. Have over 5,000 miles on it with no trouble lights. I'm also an LE & military guy (retired from both). Makes me feel warmer and fuzzier to have the gas opening secured.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:14 AM   #4
2starchief is on a distinguished road
Name: Chief
2starchief's Tacoma Gallery
Locking gas cap for 2014 Taco

Also, the dealership said if the light comes on it costs $400 at the dealership to clear. I think this is bull. Doesn't Autozone have the device that can clear it for free in the event it does come on?
Old 11-13-2013, 09:29 AM   #5
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2starchief View Post
Also, the dealership said if the light comes on it costs $400 at the dealership to clear. I think this is bull. Doesn't Autozone have the device that can clear it for free in the event it does come on?
Or you can get an OBDII reader like a ScanGauge. That way you can get better info from your truck on the fly, and have the ability to view and clear any trouble codes that come up. Fairly handy little thing to have for only $150
Old 11-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #6
MGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacoFF is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Matt
MGMTacoFF's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Stant
x2. Part #10504.

Matt
Old 08-20-2014, 05:45 PM   #7
C.Blackfoot is on a distinguished road

C.Blackfoot's Tacoma Gallery
Checking to see if anyone is using a locking gas cap and not having any issues with it; if so, what brand? Looking for up to date info since it's almost been a year since the last post. Thanks.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:56 PM   #8
Social Critic
DeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeltaSteve is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 23rd Infantry Division
Name: Steve
DeltaSteve's Tacoma Gallery
No troubles with my LGC...
Old 08-20-2014, 06:13 PM   #9
toofish2 is on a distinguished road
Name: Bruce
toofish2's Tacoma Gallery
I have had one from NAPA and it is made by gates and no issues since new and currently have 3000 miles and no issues...
Old 08-20-2014, 06:15 PM   #10
toofish2 is on a distinguished road
Name: Bruce
toofish2's Tacoma Gallery
Have them look up 2013 NAPA has not updated their systems....
Old 08-20-2014, 07:35 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofish2 View Post
Have them look up 2013 NAPA has not updated their systems....
Will do, thanks for the info. I've never bought one before nor has it ever crossed my mind to buy one but my neighbor said he saw a guy siphoning gas for a truck this morning.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:44 PM   #12
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
I have a Stant P/N 10504 locking gas cap. No problems after 4 years and 156 fill-ups. In Canada, you can even get this as a Toyota part in dealers, P/N C0170-00020.

Just keep in mind a locking gas cap is more for sabotage protection than for discouraging fuel theft. The rollover protection mechnism in the filler neck prevents normal siphoning. It's easy enough for thieves to punch a hole in the fuel tank.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
I have a Stant P/N 10504 locking gas cap. No problems after 4 years and 156 fill-ups. In Canada, you can even get this as a Toyota part in dealers, P/N C0170-00020.

Just keep in mind a locking gas cap is more for sabotage protection than for discouraging fuel theft. The rollover protection mechnism in the filler neck prevents normal siphoning. It's easy enough for thieves to punch a hole in the fuel tank.
Understand man, thanks for that info. So is it possible for someone to siphon gas out of my truck (2013 Sport)?
Old 08-20-2014, 08:04 PM   #14
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Blackfoot View Post
Understand man, thanks for that info. So is it possible for someone to siphon gas out of my truck (2013 Sport)?
Drill a hole near the top of the plastic tank , insert hose
Old 08-20-2014, 08:08 PM   #15
Kevinztaco has a spectacular aura aboutKevinztaco has a spectacular aura about
Kevinztaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Checking to see if anyone is using a locking gas cap and not having any issues with it; if so, what brand? Looking for up to date info since it's almost been a year since the last post. Thanks.

'13 taco with approximately 15k miles with gas cap lock that I bought from a local stealership and no problem.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Drill a hole near the top of the plastic tank , insert hose
Asking if someone can stick a hose in and suck or pump out.
Old 08-21-2014, 04:55 AM   #17
jpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shedjpmorrisvb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: NDT/QA
Name: Jimmy
jpmorrisvb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Asking if someone can stick a hose in and suck or pump out.
There is a screen down the neck ... it doesn't mean someone can't bust through it ... just a little more effort ... anaything that will slow a thief down is worth it ... the mentality is rob and run ... no line, no waiting.
Old 08-21-2014, 05:26 AM   #18
68vert is on a distinguished road

68vert's Tacoma Gallery
Before I bought a locking gas cap for my 05 some douchebag try to steal gas from me but was unsuccessful. Didn't even bother putting my factory cap back on. I think there's a screen in the filler neck.

I put a Stant on my 14 the first week I got it. Been 6k miles now and no probs.