1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

What's the General Consensus on ARB Rear Locker

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by CaseyJones, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Nov 13, 2013 at 11:40 AM
    CaseyJones

CaseyJones [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Toronto
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 Dbl Cab TRD Sport
    Great. Thanks. And for the pic of the compressor mount.

How much work is it to activate? My Titan had a cabin mounted button for the locker. I used it at least 3 times per winter to save my ass.

2. Nov 13, 2013 at 11:59 AM
    KCDuran

KCDuran Stormtrooper

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    5 Lug'n 4 banger
    Icon/TC Mid Travel Kit, Kenwood Deck, Helix Audio System, BHLM (With Tinted Reflectors), Tinted Taillights, Satoshi Grill (color matched to super white), Stormtrooper sticker, Air Force sticker HUA! Re colored gauges (White numbers and ODO with Blue Needles) Magnaflow Glasspack Muffler, Stainless steel exhaust tip, 8k HIDs, LED Satoshi, Eye Lids, ARB locker (4.10 Gears), 8k FOG HIDs, LED Head Lamp, Tonneau Cover
    yeah the main question is could you give enough reason to buy one ya know?

throw on the compressor switch, stop or throw into neutral, lock'n go! weeee! haha

when ever i know ill be using the locker ill keep the compressor on

3. Nov 13, 2013 at 12:04 PM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    If you buy the ARB compressor associated with air lockers it comes with a wiring harness, if you buy the locker new if will come with all the plumbing required, you will have to install it on your truck somewhere, run the wiring harness to the cab (where your switch will be located) and run the plumbing to the air locker port on the diff, then it's just a matter of flipping a couple of switches to activate the locker.

4. Nov 13, 2013 at 12:11 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    ARB's are the best lockers you can buy!!

I had front & rear ARB's in my Jeep.

Iinstalling an ARB can be really expensive.

*Cost of ARB
    *Cost of Ring & pinion
    *Cost of axle seals/bearings
    *Installation of ARB
    *Cost of Gearing setup
    *Cost of Air compressor or air source
    *Cost of installation of Air source to the ARB
    *Cost of anything else to make it all work....

If you don't off road, then I'm not so certain the money you spend on an ARB will be well spent (in terms of utilizing it to its fullest). If you have the money...GO 4 IT!! You won't be disappointed.

FYI: ARB's are engaged via buttons in the cab.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  5. Nov 13, 2013 at 12:21 PM
    CaseyJones

CaseyJones [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Toronto
    Vehicle:
    09 4x4 Dbl Cab TRD Sport
    Anyone have a ballpark cost installed? This may not be something I should attempt.

Also, once you hit the switch it is instantly engaged or is their a lag?

6. Nov 13, 2013 at 12:35 PM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    OP, I suggest contacting Randy's Ring & Pinion and ask them about their Zip-locker. They may have one available for your truck. They are a lower cost alternative to the ARB air locker, and I have installed them in a few Dana 60 housings with great success.

As for ease of installation, I suggest that unless you are knowledgeable about differentials, don't try this job on your own. You can easily destroy a set of gears.

Cost wise for a rear locker in a 3rd member, I would say should be in the $300-$400 range. That should include running the air line as well to wherever you want the solenoid to be.

Once activated the air locker (Both ARB and Zip) are an instant on, and when deactivated are an instant off. They are very advantageous when driving in snow/ice conditions because they are totally open when not engaged. No limited slip or locker to spin you out. Then, when you are stuck, or need that extra pull, flip the switch are you are golden!

7. Nov 13, 2013 at 12:37 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Whenever a thread like this comes along someone inevitably chirps in with "lock the front, not the back."

Your 09 has electronically activated limited slip, right? In which case it's at the actual differential an "open" spider gear setup.

I'd lock the back before I did the front.

There are three good reasons that when the factory sells you just one locked axle it's *always* in the back, and that when you get the ARB wiring harness it's wired to lock the *back axle* first before engaging the front locker:

1. Weight transfer when going uphill is to the rear axle, and
    2. It can be cumbersome to control the vehicle when the front is locked (especially in snow) and
    3. It's easier to break a front CV axle with drivetrain bind.

8. Nov 13, 2013 at 12:45 PM
    jethro

jethro Master Baiter

Member:
    First Name:
    Geoff
    Southern NH
    Vehicle:
    2020 Ford F-150 Lariat 5.0L V8
    Man, that sounds like you could buy a lot of recoveries by a tow truck for that money!

9. Nov 13, 2013 at 1:23 PM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
  10. Nov 13, 2013 at 1:29 PM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Ehh some people think it would be more worthwhile to have a capable truck, not necessarily for the 'stuck' factor. There are plenty of methods and techniques to getting unstuck.

11. Nov 13, 2013 at 1:49 PM
    cstallings

cstallings Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB TRD Sport 4x4
    SOS Front Bumper, SOS Sliders, SOS skids, ARB Rear Air Locker, OME Lift (885x Coils, Nitro Charger Shocks, Dakar Leafs), LR UCAs, Leer Shell, OKLED 30" light bar, Wet Okle Seat covers, etc, etc
    Is this an estimated installation cost?

12. Nov 13, 2013 at 1:55 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    ID
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    here is what i paid when i did gears and lockers @ the same time.

Parts:

(1) ARB front locker $949
    (1) ARB rear locker $949
    (1) Nitro 4.56 front ring and pinion $299
    (1) Nitro 4.56 rear ring and pinion $225
    (1) Nitro master setup kit front $349
    (1) Nitro master setup kit rear $231
    (1) Nitro rear solid pinion spacer $55
    (1) 80w90 GL5 Gear oil $40

Total parts: $3097 + tax.

Labor:

Remove and reinstall (R&R) front diff $250
    Setup front diff with ARB, 4.56, all new bearings $375
    R&R rear diff $175
    Setup rear diff with ARB, 4.56, all new bearings $275

Total Labor $1075

13. Nov 13, 2013 at 3:22 PM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    There are reasons and advantages to locking the front instead of the rear, just like there are advantages to locking the rear instead of the front. A lot comes down to personal choice and preference. I personally locked the front diff in my truck for two reasons.

One: When going through mud and/or snow, if the front wheels are locked, both will spin together, helping to clear out mud/snow from the front wheels. Why is this an advantage? Because those who drive in snow and mud know that if the front wheels are not spinning to clear mud/snow, then it tends to build up in front of the wheels/tires like a plow. this increases forward resistance as this builds up.

Two: When going up rocks and such, having both wheels in front pulling has it's advantages over the rear pushing. I have owned more than my fair share of locked trucks, and I have found that a locked front diff tends to do better than a locked rear in the same truck in many situations.

Think about it this way, They started building cars with front wheel drive for a reason. And it is not because it was cheaper. You have additional weight on the front because of the weight of the engine. This helps improve front traction as well. Yes, there are advantages to locking the rear, but personally I feel the front being locked is more beneficial. I have seen the proof.

If they did that on say 20 or 30 ARB v/s Zip lockers, then I would consider it a valid test. A single load test does not preclude positive proof. If that were the case then I could take a single Tacoma and if the engine blew at 10k miles, I could say ALL Tacoma trucks are junk. That is not the truth of course. I am not saying that the Zip is better than the ARB. What I AM saying is that I have installed both brands in many trucks, and have not had a single one of them state they had any problems.

Yes, that is an estimation in cost. Average total install time of about 3.5 hours, with a labor rate of about $80 per hour.

TomHGZ likes this.
  14. Nov 13, 2013 at 3:45 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    For off roading, they are the locker to have for sure. Can get you in a heap of trouble too if you're not careful. Been there done that!

Nothing like being on a hill climb half way up.... You're sitting there loosing traction. Reach down, hit those switches. It's instant traction even while still on the gas.

God, I miss that jeep.

ARB lockers have been around for a very long time. There's a tried and true history behind them and why they are consistently recommended.

15. Nov 13, 2013 at 7:07 PM
    bjmoose

bjmoose Bullwinkle J. Moose

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    San Jose CA
    Vehicle:
    '11 Std Cab 4x4 5sp
    OME suspension, ARB Air Lockers, CBI/Relentless/Pelfrey armor, HAM radio
    Sure, and the OP can make that choice if he wants. But I hate to see someone come on, get one piece of advice, take it and not even realize he's going with the minority opinion.

16. Nov 13, 2013 at 8:02 PM
    Sandman614

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    Who's to say they didn't do the test more than once.. If one tacoma breaks I.E. Mine, I would start researching the problem to see if it happened to others.
    I just did a quick Google search on the two. The OP can do the research.

Ps you seem to take things a little bit too personal. I just stated my opinion which was not based off the video/test.

17. Nov 14, 2013 at 9:16 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    Who says I am a minority!? I'm a white, middle aged man.....oh....wait, wrong type of minority. :p

True, they didn't say they only tested one. They also didn't say they tested several. Typically when a test doesn't mention multiple items, it is usually just one. I agree the OP can and should do the research. I simply wanted to let him know that there is more than just ONE air locker option out there. Yukon Gears puts out some really good products, and I know a lot of Tacoma trucks that use their products. And yeah, I am a little biased since I am a Yukon Gears distributor.

I do admit that sometimes I seem to take things personal. I really don't for the most part, unless it involves a personal attack against me, or my profession. I do tend to be a bit chaste in my responses. Perhaps it comes out as being defensive? My apologies if my comments here came across that way.

18. Nov 14, 2013 at 9:47 AM
    ckeene9

ckeene9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chesterfield, VA
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB Supercharged 4x4 TRD Sport
    See Build Thread
    Getting front and rear ARB's installed next week by ECGS.

19. Nov 14, 2013 at 11:06 AM
    Sandman614

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    I agree options are good to have.

20. Nov 14, 2013 at 11:41 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    Be careful with it.....Being locked up both front & rear, in certain situations....will put a hurtin on you in a hurry (and with no time to react).

Products Discussed in

To Top