1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma vs. Deer... Advice Needed

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by SLOsquirrel, Nov 13, 2013.

1. Nov 13, 2013 at 3:51 PM
    Mademan925

Mademan925 Senor Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Discovery Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 TRD OFFROAD DCSB
    enough to go over stuff
    That sucks. To the OP. Im happy with my all pro apex bumper. It makes me feel safer. I drive on a windy dark road everyday covered with deer. Its just a matter of time for me. Those deer change direction so fast.

2. Nov 13, 2013 at 3:55 PM
    SOS CONCEPTS

SOS CONCEPTS Bumper builder

Member:
    First Name:
    SOS
    Laurens SC
    Vehicle:
    17 sos buggy, 09 taco(in pieces), 14ram 3500
    Rock bouncer
    I think about it everyday when I drive into work at 0500. But I still run 60 on a un-lite road towards the end of a island in Hollywood,sc

3. Nov 13, 2013 at 3:56 PM
    Brodie

Brodie Gear Jammer

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Magnetic Gray Double Cab
    About 10 years ago, I had a Reunel bumper on the rear of my Ram 2500. Got rear ended by a garbage truck, it felt more like a love tap than a crash, didnt even get into the bed. But pushed the bumper down and bent the frame down also. Sorry I don't have pictures of it. But the insurance totaled it out.

4. Nov 13, 2013 at 4:02 PM
    SOS CONCEPTS

Member:
    First Name:
    SOS
    Laurens SC
    Vehicle:
    Rock bouncer
    well I deffinetly need to get one then! That way I can get a 4x4 :ohsnap:

5. Nov 13, 2013 at 4:29 PM
    Gaunt596

Gaunt596 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Central Maryland
    BUT, i have seen countless picture of Tacoma with plate bumper versus deer/other car/wall/etc... and in 9/10 pictures the Tacoma had minor damage and was fixable while the other vehicle was totaled/ wall suffered damage. wile the bumper does transfer force to other parts of the vehicle, all aftermarket bumpers are tied into the frame properly and distribute the force evenly, causing less damage to the vehicle, whereas the cheap stock bumper crumples and allows the engine and other parts to be smashed

also, grille guards are simple metal uprights and don't protect against deer. small tree limbs yes, deer no way in hell

6. Nov 13, 2013 at 4:32 PM
    Gaunt596

Gaunt596 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Central Maryland
    also, if you hit something, there is a chance that those crumple zones will put the engine IN YOUR LAP, meaning not only is your truck totaled, your gonna be real dead. no thank you ill take an aluminum plate bumper if you please

7. Nov 13, 2013 at 4:34 PM
    anders99

anders99 The Sailing Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Penscola, FL
    Vehicle:
    (07 Base 4cyl 4x4 - RIP) -> 2018 4Runner SR5 Premuim
    Taco SOS Offroad Concepts hybrid front bumper Iggy Corp. Switch panel Famous Fab ditch lights and cb antenna mount Pioneer Appradio 2 Halo Led Headlights Led Taillights 3'' toytech spacer lift on front end Toytec AAL on rear AFE cold air intake 4Runner Stock
    I split a deer with a boat trailer once. I was going down the highway at night going about 70. I was towing an empty boat trailer, that had an upright metal pole to hold the mast, and saw a deer running along a head of me. Well next thing I know bam deer turned and jumped between my tailgate and the metal upright. When I stopped and looked for the deer/ damage I was amazed to see that the deer was in half in the road trailer fine but there was a nasty mess left behind.

8. Nov 13, 2013 at 4:39 PM
    bh867

bh867 Well-Known Member

Member:
    idaho/utah
    Vehicle:
    tacoma
    arb bumper winches- xrc 8 front xrc 10 rear 2 lightforce 140's 40" led light bar Custom CBI built bed 4.88' and arb's front and rear tc long travel
    Yes for plate bumper! I hate those damn deer, they're like guided missiles lol I've hit four of em in four different cars and each time was spendy. I now secretly hope one of their cousins tries something! Lol

9. Nov 13, 2013 at 4:50 PM
    Brodie

Brodie Gear Jammer

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Magnetic Gray Double Cab
    How do you insure you tie a HD bumper into a frame properly when the frame is not designed to carry an HD bumper?

Anyway, Like others I'm not saying they will always cause more damage to your vehicle, I said they could.

So get one if you want some of them definitely look cool (some of them) But don't expect it to completely protect in all situations.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  10. Nov 14, 2013 at 6:11 PM
    SLOsquirrel

SLOsquirrel [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Vehicle:
    2005 TRD OR 4x4 6-Spd Access Cab
    Icon Mid-Travel w/ Billet UCA's, All-Pro Expo's w/ Icon Resi Shocks, ARB Bumper w/ Warn M8000 Winch, Method NV's w/ 285/75 R17 BFG BFG AT KO2's, TC Gussets (spindle, shock towers, LCA cam tabs, etc), DMZ Engine Mount Gussets.
    I know a plate bumper isn't a cure all. But I like the way they look (most of them anyways). Between my deductible and what I'll save paying the shop for a new OEM bumper and sub-bumper it should be a wash (I might even save some).

I understand that it won't SAVE me from future accidents. But if something hits the front end so hard it transfers the energy and ruins my frame then I'm pretty sure the damage would be done regardless of what's on my front end. I will say this damage would be minimal (if not non-existant) if I would've had it on there already.

Upgrading the suspension was already on my list of to-do's. Just got some SAW coilovers and oversized (265/75r16s) BFG at's (with ~3k miles) on off-road rims last night for a smoking deal. Just need UCA's some rear leaf pack (or add-a-leaf) and rear shocks to complete it. Might change the springs on the SAW's to 700# (650 on there now) and swap the preload ring because some dumbass wrenched on them with a pipewrench.

Also stopped by the shop today to talk with my buddy. Def doing a 2011 sport grill and newer headlights. Speaking of which, does anyone know the name or model number of the newer "smoked" oem headlights.

Also, I'm trying to decide which bumper to get, is there a gallery out there that someone has started?

Coilovers and Tires.jpg
    Coilovers.jpg
    Tires.jpg

11. Nov 14, 2013 at 6:48 PM
    cheech1

cheech1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kaneohe, HI
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner Off Road
    I posted about this before, but back in the day we used to purposely try to hit deer in the pineapple fields with my '49 Ford sedan. Game wardens wouldn't bother us, as it was an "accident." We wised up after finding out that after getting hit by a car, the deer would have very little edible meat left. BTW, that old Ford could probably broadside a Tacoma and cut it in half and still keep going.

12. Dec 11, 2013 at 10:34 AM
    SLOsquirrel

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Vehicle:
    Icon Mid-Travel w/ Billet UCA's, All-Pro Expo's w/ Icon Resi Shocks, ARB Bumper w/ Warn M8000 Winch, Method NV's w/ 285/75 R17 BFG BFG AT KO2's, TC Gussets (spindle, shock towers, LCA cam tabs, etc), DMZ Engine Mount Gussets.
    Truck finally made it into the shop yesterday.

Was looking at every brand of plate bumper but most of them were a 10-12 week lead time and with all the options I wanted and shipping they came out to around $1450.

Found a great deal on Amazon Warehouse Deals for an ARB (newer style with foglights)

The more I look at the ARB the more I like it. Hopefully it'll show up in good condition. If not Amazon Warehouse seems to have a good return policy!

I wanted to wait a little bit longer to see if the price dropped, but was worried someone else would snag it before me (a few people posted the link on TW)... Also, I want to have it waiting for my truck when it gets out of the shop.

Waiting for the next time a deer jumps in front of me

photo 6.jpg
    ARB Bumper on Taco.jpg

13. Dec 11, 2013 at 6:04 PM
    SOS CONCEPTS

Member:
    First Name:
    SOS
    Laurens SC
    Vehicle:
    Rock bouncer

Thats crazy glad I'm building my own here soon. If I can find time in between working and building sliders lol

14. Apr 22, 2014 at 10:11 AM
    SLOsquirrel

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Vehicle:
    Finally got my bumper on after some delays… Amazon warehouse deals sent me the wrong one (sent me a first gen model). Luckily ended up getting in on the tail end of a group buy on here. Got the bumper and a Warn M8000 for a killer deal. Like the ARB more and more every day.

Also got my hands on a nice lightly used Icon mid-travel set up (with billet UCA’s) and brand new all-pro expo leaf packs. Just gotta find time to throw it on with my new BFG A/T’s…

ARB Bumper - Mounted.jpg

15. Apr 22, 2014 at 10:42 AM
    KaPantsKey

KaPantsKey Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kyle
    SC
    Vehicle:
    13 MGM DCSB TRD-OR
    :facepalm:

Products Discussed in