Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

4High and 4Low lights flashing

Old 03-14-2009, 03:28 PM   #1
meafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: RCR( Royal Canadian Regiment) INF
Name: Mike
meafordmike's Tacoma Gallery
4High and 4Low lights flashing

I just got back from wash the truck and I noticed my 4high and 4low lights flashing, I pulled over and tried to put in either and no joy, they didn't work. I was a little worried that I lost my 4X4 and don't know why thia happened.
I wash my truck same place weekly and spray the underside as best as possible and never any problem but today.
When I got home I shut the truck off and then restarted, Lights out 4 high and low work great!
Now I did the (Pierce's) fog light on mod this week and the defroster off mod.
Any idea's out there? It’s got lots of warranty left so I can take it to the dealer (that’s what the owners manual say to do if flashing), but that’s a pain for me.

This has been happening again lately, Its very slushy out and I think water is shorting something out. Any ideas of what could be getting wet.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:29 PM   #2
meafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shedmeafordmike is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Any Idea's?
Old 03-14-2009, 08:49 PM   #3
raskal is on a distinguished road
raskal's Tacoma Gallery
sorry, no ideas but generally I use the rule that if it does it again it's a problem but the first time is just a gremlin.

Today's vehicles rely 100% on their computer and maybe the washing got a sensor wet and caused the lights.

Myself, I'd just wait for it to happen again and then take it in. I suspect that's what the dealer would do too.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:35 AM   #4

Happening again, its really slushy out on the roads. Any ideas.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:40 AM   #5
Look away, I'm hideous!
joneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjoneill03 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Johnny-5
joneill03's Tacoma Gallery
I had that happen on a 2000 GMC Sonoma way back. It was almost brand new when it happened. If I remember right the electronic switch that engages the transfer case was bad and had to be replaced.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:44 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by joneill03 View Post
I had that happen on a 2000 GMC Sonoma way back. It was almost brand new when it happened. If I remember right the electronic switch that engages the transfer case was bad and had to be replaced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by A7XT View Post
Take it to the dealer
Thanks I already called the dealer and will book an appt. but just wanted some ideas before I went there sounding like an idiot and them changing my wiper blades for the fix.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:58 PM   #8

I have had my 4x4 lights and 4low lights flashing again. My dealer had the truck for 4 days and still hasnít figured out the problem.
I think itís the actuator, any ideas?????.
I just called Toyota Canada, because the dealership has come up empty handed here.
I do not have reliable 4x4 currently.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:11 PM   #10
OKWalker is on a distinguished road
OKWalker's Tacoma Gallery
Happened to me - they had to replace an actuator on the front differential.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:20 PM   #11

Thanks for the replies! I told them about the actuator on the front differential, not sure if they could not figure this out.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:40 PM   #12
Must go to Mountains, Desert
Crom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shedCrom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mr. Sir
Crom's Tacoma Gallery
The dealer should really have no problem figuring out what is wrong. They'll replace/test parts until they isolate the faulty part. Like others have said it could be the actuator or the 4WD ECU.
Old 03-16-2011, 03:49 PM   #13
Wag More Bark Less
Simon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shedSimon's Mom is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Retired 1983-2007 Signal O4
Name: Judy or Jude :)
Simon's Mom's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKWalker View Post
Happened to me - they had to replace an actuator on the front differential.
This happened to me too @ 16k.
Now at 55k started acting up again.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:33 PM   #14

I noticed it seems to happen more often to us snowbelt Taco owners. Salty roads and all, I high power wash weekly!
Blackberry
Old 03-16-2011, 07:02 PM   #15
OKWalker is on a distinguished road
OKWalker's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon's Mom View Post
This happened to me too @ 16k.
Now at 55k started acting up again.
Happened to me at 2 miles!
Old 09-08-2011, 09:52 AM   #16
pojo82 is on a distinguished road

Name: Josh
pojo82's Tacoma Gallery
did they find out what the problem was? i just took mine in for the same problem they checked the actuator, all connections and everything looked good so now they are charging $190 to hook up the computer. still waiting on an answer.

i did find an easy temporary fix though. if the light blinks turn truck off, switch to 4x4, start truck (truck will start and engage 4x4), switch to 2wd, it disengages and the light stops blinking. problem is a week later it will do it again and it seemed to happen more frequent as time went on.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:09 PM   #17

pojo82's Tacoma Gallery
they couldnt find anything wrong but when they were doing tests it stopped flashing. now a couple months later and it did it to me again. wtf?
Old 01-10-2012, 09:46 PM   #18
completenirvana is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: USMC Veteran, Volunteer Firefighter/EMT
completenirvana's Tacoma Gallery
Mine has been doing this too. It's so annoying. The bright yellow light for not having air sensors on my rims is annoying enough. My green 4wd light will blink for a week or so then work like its supposed to for the same amount of time it seems like. Any one have updates on possible fixes for this?
Old 01-29-2012, 08:59 PM   #19

Mine is doing this again. But now I am stuck in 4x4, and I have to take the truck on a work trip for the next month. I will get it to the dealer tomorrow, and hope they can figure this out after 4 years.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:32 AM   #20

pojo82's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU Taco85 View Post
I will put $$$ on it that it is your t-case actuator. Replace it with a manual one from the FJ and problem solved

how much is involved with this as far as cost, and labor? this problem has been happening off and on for me the last few months