1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tacoma gone down in quality?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by AZoutdoors53, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Feb 15, 2014 at 4:41 PM
    keninsb

keninsb "Senior", Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    Absolutely. I have been a Toyota owner for almost 30 years and owned at least 8 (yes eight) different Toyotas in that time, all but one were trucks. When I bought my first Toyota truck I could not believe how many bells and whistles that it had and it was an SR5. I bought a 2013 Tacoma Limited thinking that it would be loaded as well, and it has a LOT less features than my '08 Tundra SR5 did. The oil pressure gauge was a standard feature on the trucks until the late '90s early '00s and I cannot believe they don't have one now. I do almost all of my own work on my vehicles and am constantly finding cut corners on the newer trucks. They are still good trucks, and I love my Tacoma, but I think Toyota is definitely doing as little as possible in the way of improvements.
    Ken

2. Feb 15, 2014 at 6:34 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    I had a '94 and my '07 is remarkably comparable, with a slight edge over the '94 (both 5-lug, non-SR5).
    '07 has a clock, the '94 did not.
    '07 has a fabric headliner, the '94 was vinyl.
    '07 came with AM/FM/CD, '94 was AM/FM.. did not have cassette or CD
    '94 warped an exhaust manifold at around 90k.

'07 is an automatic, 2.7, with more than enough power to actually accelerate up any grade I've been on. The '94, I had to downshift to maintain 75 on a mild hill, and on a steep grade, if someone cut me off and I had to let off the gas... if I dropped below 55, it was all over... I was dogging the rest of the way up that hill.

Funny... I bought both used from the same Chevy dealership.
    Ended up putting over 200k on that '94.

3. Feb 15, 2014 at 6:39 PM
    welterbf123

welterbf123 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Columbus, OH
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road
    12voltsolutions.com plug-n-play remote start system. OVTuned OEM Bed lights Underhood and footwell lights Garmin dash-cam Weathertech side vents, bug shield, mud flaps and floor mats Extang Encore tonnau cover OME BP51 Suspension Front & Back / Dakar Leaf Springs Light Racing UCA's XD Holeshot 17" x 9" Wheels Nitto Trail Grapplers 265/70/R17 TRD Pro Grille Raptor Lights iJDMToy 30" LED Hidden Bar Light Toyota Bed Step
    Nissan is still building the Z car after all these years. I wish Toyota would produce the Supra again.

4. Feb 15, 2014 at 6:43 PM
    keninsb

keninsb "Senior", Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    I see your point, but a lot of those upgrades are due to advances in technology and new vehicle restrictions. Metal is being replace by plastic, and that is not always a bad thing, but the truck bed for instance I would MUCH rather have a metal bed and have the option to put a bed liner in if I wanted to. I could go on and on, but I guess it is just a matter of opinion.
    Ken

5. Feb 15, 2014 at 7:02 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    I still go back and forth on the bed material.
    The composite is adequate for most owners.
    The fears of cracking in cold weather were unfounded. The only time we've seen a damaged bed was from something that would have damaged a steel bed (shock punched through, load slammed the front, etc....)
    But I can see the issue with surface appearance for someone who hauls a lot of materials/tools that can scratch the surface. Of course, they'd destroy a steel painted bed as well.

6. Feb 15, 2014 at 7:10 PM
    deepcoma

deepcoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Land of the rising sun
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCSB 4X4
    I miss a lot about my '04 Tacoma, but for everything I miss there are more things I like on my '13

7. Feb 15, 2014 at 7:29 PM
    robssol

robssol If it ain't broke, leave it the eff alone!

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    S. Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma, TRD Sport, SR5, 4X4, AC
    Frame 2.0, Fog lights anytime, Seatbelt reminder delete, Secondary air filter delete, LED bed lights, Running boards, 2017 Rims, Devil Horns by Andres, Ultra gauge, Cup holder/consol/glove compartment lights, Interior LED conversion, Blue Sea aux. fuse panel, fuse panel mounting plate by Yotamac, ProEFX heated towing mirrors, LED engine bay lights, Redline Quicklift Elite hood struts, Wet Okole Heated Seat Covers, Pop and Lock tailgate theft deterrent mod 2.0, Plasti-dip rear bumper. Decal free visors, Washable cabin air filter, Overhead consol auto dimming override switch, BulletProof Fabricating Skid plate, 2lo module.
    I have an '06 with 90k, no problems! :thumbsup:

8. Feb 15, 2014 at 8:13 PM
    13Greysled

13Greysled Well-Known Member

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    13' Taco
    Tint
    Nope, still a fine machine. I do wish that i had bought a used 1st gen or older pickup at times just because they have a smaller body (newer vehicles are too wide imo) but the same great toyota reliability and build quality as far as i can tell.

9. Feb 15, 2014 at 8:46 PM
    Holy schmidt

Holy schmidt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wyatt
    Nebraska
    Between an 07 sr5 4.0L tacoma and my 99 sr5 3.4L tacoma I feel like the 07 had more rattles at 90xxx than mine with 200xxx. Other than that they both feel reliable but the 07 was much smoother (07 on street tires 99 on At's) I think the 99 split bench is more comfortable though. Between the 4.0 and 3.4 I feel like I have to give the 4.0 more gas to get up and going maybe thats just me though and the 07 is quieter than mine. Either way I think both generations are good quality compared to the competition at the time at lease and would be pleased with either

not bashing either just an honest opinion to me both have the pros and cons

Products Discussed in

To Top