Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Noise similar to tire/road noise. Worst at 65+mph.

Old 11-16-2013, 05:11 PM   #1
totmacher has a spectacular aura abouttotmacher has a spectacular aura about

totmacher's Tacoma Gallery
Noise similar to tire/road noise. Worst at 65+mph.

So I started hearing a new noise this week and need some ideas.
It varies with speed but not RPM. Turning doesn't change it. Handling and ride still feel normal (no slop or wandering).

Under 30mph, I don't really notice it.
At 30-60mph, it just sounds like tire noise that you'd get from an offroad tire. I have street tires and this noise is different. Radio at normal volume is usually enough to drown it out.

Over 60 mph, start hearing it more and at 65mph it sounds like I'm following one of those crappy riced out Hondas and there is slight vibration in the floor. A buzz or hum might be the best description. It continues like this up to 70mph. I haven't gone over 70mph.

I can't figure out where exactly the noise if coming from since it's only at speed.

Things I've changed recently before the noise:
1. New brake pads but noise didn't start until about 1200 miles after installing them.
2. Drain/fill rear diff. Used same oil as last time. Did this about 2 weeks (~800 miles) before the noise started.
3. New rear engine mount (at tail of transmission). OEM part from dealer. Installed about a week (~400 miles) before noise started.
4. Greased u-joints about 1 month (~1600 miles) before noise.

Things I've tried to see if the sound changes or to see if anything feels odd:
1. Changing lanes or taking long curves at speed. Didn't change the sound at all.
2. Shifting into N (auto trans). No change in sound.
3. Slow figure 8s in a parking lot. Didn't feel any slop in the steering or hear any popping sounds.
4. Driving around the yard and in the woods to flex the suspension. Didn't hear anything odd.
5. Greased u-joints again. No change in sound.
6. Checked tire pressure. 32 psi all around as usual.
7. Braking hard from ~60mph. Feels normal. No vibration or anything.
8. Accellerating lightly vs aggressively from 40-70mph. Hear it more under light accel but that's only because I can't really hear it over my exhaust.
9. Taking foot off gas at 70mph and coasting down to 30mph. Same as usual (loud buzz until I get around 60mph, then seems like road noise that gets quieter as I slow down).
10. Driving 65mph in overdrive or regular. No difference.

Anyone have thoughts?
Old 11-16-2013, 05:21 PM   #2
Never take the bait
Jasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Stop giving me nicknames
Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
It sounds like your rear diff.. did you add an LSD additive when you changed out your oil?
Old 11-16-2013, 05:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine View Post
It sounds like your rear diff.. did you add an LSD additive when you changed out your oil?
No additive. Same oil I used last time I changed it. Didn't use additive then either. Valvoline "high performance" 80W90 says it doesn't need additive. Local dealer uses same stuff without additive.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:28 PM   #6
Never take the bait
Jasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shedJasmine is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by totmacher View Post
No additive. Same oil I used last time I changed it. Didn't use additive then either. Valvoline "high performance" 80W90 says it doesn't need additive. Local dealer uses same stuff without additive.
You do have an mechanical LSD rear, yes?

If you do, there is a clutch pack that required an additive.. it's a friction modifier. There should be a sticker on your diff that says "Only LSD oil".
Old 11-16-2013, 05:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by allmotorrex View Post
wheel bearing
Wouldn't turning cause the noise to change if it is wheel bearing?
Didn't feel any play when I had it on the jackstands today.

Could the driveshaft be out of balance all of a sudden and just hitting a harmonic or something around 65?

Maybe I can put the old rear mount back on so see if the sound goes away. Maybe it slightly changed my driveline angles.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:32 PM   #8
ASE Master Tech.
gasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shedgasgasman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

gasgasman's Tacoma Gallery
Best way to isolate a tire noise is , to drive on a smooth road surface that changes from concrete to asphalt. If the noise changes between sufaces, it's tire noise.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:34 PM   #9
lowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shedlowinhz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Papa Kurt
lowinhz's Tacoma Gallery
Haha I was joking about the drive shaft cable tie.
Try rotating your tires and see if it changes. Just a cheap thought.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasman View Post
Best way to isolate a tire noise is , to drive on a smooth road surface that changes from concrete to asphalt. If the noise changes between sufaces, it's tire noise.
My usual tire noise changes based on surface but not this other new noise. Calling it tire noise is just the closest description I could think of.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:38 PM   #11
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasman View Post
Best way is to raise the vehicle, put it in drive, and use a sethoscope to find the source of the noise...
Old 11-16-2013, 05:40 PM   #12
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:

If you do, there is a clutch pack that required an additive.. it's a friction modifier. There should be a sticker on your diff that says "Only LSD oil".
Good question for the OP...
Old 11-16-2013, 05:55 PM   #13
Power Top

Noise similar to tire/road noise. Worst at 65+mph.-pictures480.jpg
Old 11-16-2013, 06:00 PM   #14

Quote:

Yes. LSD. Sticker at fill plug.
Like I said though. Same oil I used last time (40k miles ago). Jug says "limited slip" on the front of it.

And though I don't generally trust dealerships, the service guy a couple years ago said this is the exact same stuff they use and that they don't use additive with it either.

Would it hurt anything if I put some additive in though just to rule out the possibility?

Old 11-16-2013, 06:12 PM   #15
Never take the bait

Jasmine's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes. LSD. Sticker at fill plug.
Like I said though. Same oil I used last time (40k miles ago). Jug says "limited slip" on the front of it.

And though I don't generally trust dealerships, the service guy a couple years ago said this is the exact same stuff they use and that they don't use additive with it either.

Would it hurt anything if I put some additive in though just to rule out the possibility?

I would call Valvoline..but I looked up another forum with someone who asked the same question.. that OP called them and they recommended still adding 4 ounces of friction modifier. Seems that its confusing and may just mean that the oil is compatible with a limited slip diff.. it doesn't have an actual friction modifier in it.

It wouldn't hurt adding it, but if you've been running it this long without chances are your clutch pack is already messed up.

Have you had a noise for a while that you couldn't place and just got used to it?
Old 11-16-2013, 06:31 PM   #16

Quote:
I would call Valvoline..but I looked up another forum with someone who asked the same question.. that OP called them and they recommended still adding 4 ounces of friction modifier. Seems that its confusing and may just mean that the oil is compatible with a limited slip diff.. it doesn't have an actual friction modifier in it.

It wouldn't hurt adding it, but if you've been running it this long without chances are your clutch pack is already messed up.

Have you had a noise for a while that you couldn't place and just got used to it?
I've had various unexplained noises for the last 120k miles. This is just a new one. My usual approach is try a few things and if nothings works, leave it til something explodes so I'll know what to fix. Nothing has ever exploded though.

I'll swap the old rear mount back on tomorrow and test drive to parts store. If noise is unchanged with the old mount in, I'll get some LSD additive.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:02 PM   #17
Wishin' I was Fishin'
landphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shedlandphil is one of the sharper tools in the shed

landphil's Tacoma Gallery
If the noise is present driving straight down the road then the LSD clutches / lack of additive is not your issue. If the problem only occured during turns, then, yes, but I'd still through in some additive anyway.

Inspect the carrier bearing. I'm assuming you checked the u joints carefully when you just greased them, if not, slap yourself and go do that too.

Rotate tires and see if there is any change.

If nothing conclusive there, my bet is on a wheel bearing as well, though it might be a rear one if turning isn't changing the noise.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:11 PM   #18
thebrick is on a distinguished road

thebrick's Tacoma Gallery
sub'd. I discovered a similar noise in my truck today, mine kind of pulses though, thought it was tire noise but the pulses are waay slower than the tires rotation. the noise starts around 34, 40 mph.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:56 PM   #19
Banned
discoy2k is a splendid one to beholddiscoy2k is a splendid one to beholddiscoy2k is a splendid one to beholddiscoy2k is a splendid one to beholddiscoy2k is a splendid one to beholddiscoy2k is a splendid one to behold

Name: DISCO
discoy2k's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So I started hearing a new noise this week and need some ideas.
It varies with speed but not RPM. Turning doesn't change it. Handling and ride still feel normal (no slop or wandering).

Under 30mph, I don't really notice it.
At 30-60mph, it just sounds like tire noise that you'd get from an offroad tire. I have street tires and this noise is different. Radio at normal volume is usually enough to drown it out.

Over 60 mph, start hearing it more and at 65mph it sounds like I'm following one of those crappy riced out Hondas and there is slight vibration in the floor. A buzz or hum might be the best description. It continues like this up to 70mph. I haven't gone over 70mph.

I can't figure out where exactly the noise if coming from since it's only at speed.

Things I've changed recently before the noise:
1. New brake pads but noise didn't start until about 1200 miles after installing them.
2. Drain/fill rear diff. Used same oil as last time. Did this about 2 weeks (~800 miles) before the noise started.
3. New rear engine mount (at tail of transmission). OEM part from dealer. Installed about a week (~400 miles) before noise started.
4. Greased u-joints about 1 month (~1600 miles) before noise.

Things I've tried to see if the sound changes or to see if anything feels odd:
1. Changing lanes or taking long curves at speed. Didn't change the sound at all.
2. Shifting into N (auto trans). No change in sound.
3. Slow figure 8s in a parking lot. Didn't feel any slop in the steering or hear any popping sounds.
4. Driving around the yard and in the woods to flex the suspension. Didn't hear anything odd.
5. Greased u-joints again. No change in sound.
6. Checked tire pressure. 32 psi all around as usual.
7. Braking hard from ~60mph. Feels normal. No vibration or anything.
8. Accellerating lightly vs aggressively from 40-70mph. Hear it more under light accel but that's only because I can't really hear it over my exhaust.
9. Taking foot off gas at 70mph and coasting down to 30mph. Same as usual (loud buzz until I get around 60mph, then seems like road noise that gets quieter as I slow down).
10. Driving 65mph in overdrive or regular. No difference.

Anyone have thoughts?

not sure where you live, but i am in louisiana where temp. fluctuates as much as 30+ degrees some days.

I assume you had 4 wheel alignment done, balanced tires, etc all the normal stuff. i HAD THE EXACT some problem on my 2005. I started hearing that same thing, I have stock tires, but at times it sounded more like when I drive one of the trucks with off-road tires. I changed the U-Joints, when I pulled the old ones out they were pretty worn, so i figured AH-HA! fixed.

WRONG! I couldn't figure it out for a long time, sometimes it was pretty bad, sometimes not so much.

For me anyways, i figured out it was tire pressure! When we had big up and down temp. fluctuations it would get bad.

if you live where temp goes up and down pretty severly alot, keep a pressure gauge with you and start checking tire pressure every few days especially when the weather is crazy.

hope that helps, it worked for me

cheers,
disco
Old 11-16-2013, 08:13 PM   #20
Banned
discoy2k is a splendid one to beholddiscoy2k is a splendid one to beholddiscoy2k is a splendid one to beholddiscoy2k is a splendid one to beholddiscoy2k is a splendid one to beholddiscoy2k is a splendid one to behold

Name: DISCO
discoy2k's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by landphil View Post
If the noise is present driving straight down the road then the LSD clutches / lack of additive is not your issue. If the problem only occured during turns, then, yes, but I'd still through in some additive anyway.

Inspect the carrier bearing. I'm assuming you checked the u joints carefully when you just greased them, if not, slap yourself and go do that too.

Rotate tires and see if there is any change.

If nothing conclusive there, my bet is on a wheel bearing as well, though it might be a rear one if turning isn't changing the noise.

great advice BTW! i forgot about carrier bearing, get under it and grab where the u-joint is right after the carrier and the front driveshaft before the carrier and shake the hell out of it, it will have some up/down/side to side play from the bushing of course but what your looking for is actual play or even clicking sounds or 'rough' 'feeling' kind of play i guess you could say. another idea would be the carrier bushing, just to be sure give it a good look over and make sure its not getting worn. dont know id OP said he has a 4WD or Prerunner, but prerunners dont't have ANY grease points until you change to parts to the ones that have grease points, which is completely outrageous in my opinion!

cheers,
disco