Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Toyota Owners are being asked about new engine possibilities

Old 11-16-2013, 05:28 PM   #1
Ga tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rudy
Ga tacoguy's Tacoma Gallery
Toyota Owners are being asked about new engine possibilities

Good News for the future, Toyota has finally got their head out of the clouds and have started asking owners of new Tacomas about what a future owner would want in engines. I own a 12, and have done a few of these questionnaires about all types of options for future Toyotas. They have finally asked questions about wanting new technologies in the future Tacomas. All types were discussed with diesel questions being asked with regards' to price and towing capabilities. Both V-6 and 4 cylinder diesels were discussed along with CNG, Hybrid and Direst Injection engines. Maybe someone has been hearing the cries of the Tacoma World and are now trying to make a New and Better Tacoma for us.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:34 PM   #3
Ga tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shedGa tacoguy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

While it was not specifically given as a choice, it may become an option in future questionnaires. Toyota seems to be asking for responses from owners and may consider if enough of a response comes from the public.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:44 PM   #5
totmacher has a spectacular aura abouttotmacher has a spectacular aura about

totmacher's Tacoma Gallery
warp core drive!!

Seriously though, I'd be in for an efficient diesel.

Never a hybrid though. I consider hybrids a half-a$$ technology that's overly complex, overpriced, and has negligible benefit.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:51 PM   #6
peiscooter is on a distinguished road

peiscooter's Tacoma Gallery
You gotta wonder, though, how a company can sell a zillion diesel pickups over the years outside of North America and not offer one here
Old 11-16-2013, 05:53 PM   #7
The Sailing Memebr
anders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shedanders99 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
anders99's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by totmacher View Post
warp core drive!!

Seriously though, I'd be in for an efficient diesel.

Never a hybrid though. I consider hybrids a half-a$$ technology that's overly complex, overpriced, and has negligible benefit.
Not to mention they are way to quiet. I almost got trucked by a pryus because it came up from behind me while walking in a parking lot and I couldnt hear it.

Edit Spelling fixes
Old 11-16-2013, 05:57 PM   #8
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by anders99 View Post
Not to mention they are way to quite. I almost got tucked by a pryus because it came up from behind me while walking in a parking lot and I coulnt hear it.
way too quite what ?
Old 11-16-2013, 05:59 PM   #9
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by totmacher View Post

Except generating power from braking , saving fuel and having great torque
Old 11-16-2013, 06:00 PM   #10
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
A diesel should be an option but it is time for a turbo 4 cylinder and direct injection across the board.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:03 PM   #11

The questionnaire did have a spot for person observations about what a Owner would want in a Tacoma. I did respond with bringing in a diesel and bringing in the Hilux also, along with doing away with the electric control of the 4x4 system and return to a lever operation and to offer a V-6 single cab. We will see if they really read it or not.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:04 PM   #12
Master of None
Fifthwind is one of the sharper tools in the shedFifthwind is one of the sharper tools in the shedFifthwind is one of the sharper tools in the shedFifthwind is one of the sharper tools in the shedFifthwind is one of the sharper tools in the shedFifthwind is one of the sharper tools in the shedFifthwind is one of the sharper tools in the shedFifthwind is one of the sharper tools in the shedFifthwind is one of the sharper tools in the shedFifthwind is one of the sharper tools in the shedFifthwind is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Murph
Fifthwind's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by peiscooter View Post
You gotta wonder, though, how a company can sell a zillion diesel pickups over the years outside of North America and not offer one here
Yikes!!! Again??? Look up cetane number, and understand that the US diesel supply does not regulate this well AT ALL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cetane_number

Second, the only reason that AUDI makes a diesel is that the block is aluminum, and not steel, and that there are two auxiliary tanks to address the cetane issue. Oh and the price starts at $46K for what is basically a VW.

Third, combine a steel block and or auxiliary tanks of things like Urea to have an efficient diesel in the US market and you add $10K to the price of a Tacoma.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:09 PM   #13
CreepyTm is a glorious beacon of lightCreepyTm is a glorious beacon of lightCreepyTm is a glorious beacon of lightCreepyTm is a glorious beacon of lightCreepyTm is a glorious beacon of light

Law Enforcement: SF
CreepyTm's Tacoma Gallery
Diesel, minus the urea tank....But alas I dream on....
Old 11-16-2013, 06:11 PM   #14
CJW is on a distinguished road

Name: Connor
CJW's Tacoma Gallery
Even though i love a good v-6, SOMETIMES i wish they came in a v-8, just for those who really have a lot to haul. Is that just me?????
Old 11-16-2013, 06:28 PM   #15
Joe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoe D is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Joe D's Tacoma Gallery
Neat. I hope I get to take a survey on future Tacoma offerings. OP, did I miss it? How did you come across the survey?

I'm not overly interested in using a petrol/electric engine but, I'd be interested in seeing the advantages offered with a DI V6 or diesel option.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:31 PM   #16
MGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMGMTacolover55 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

MGMTacolover55's Tacoma Gallery
Mazda is developing a diesel without urea and Toyota uses them Europe without urea so maybe they could find a way around
Old 11-16-2013, 07:12 PM   #17
TRD12 is on a distinguished road
Name: Justin
TRD12's Tacoma Gallery
I just took this survey and here is what they were asking:

Toyota Owners Intersection

Thank you for your interest in this study and for your continued participation in the Toyota Owners' Intersection.

In this survey, we'll be asking for your opinions about various engines that could one day power your future truck. We would be very grateful if you could take a few minutes to tell us your thoughts by clicking on the link below:
<link>

This study includes vehicle images. To see these images in detail, we recommend that you take this survey on a computer or tablet, not on a smart phone.

Please note that this survey will be open through 11:59pm Pacific on Thursday, November 21st, 2013.

Thank you again for your time and thoughts. They are both very much appreciated.

The Toyota Owners' Intersection Team

+++

Welcome back to The Toyota Owners' Intersection!

This study will ask you to think about various engines that could potentially power your future truck.

[Note: I was first asked about the spec's of my vehicle and how often and how satisfied I was with its towing capacity]

In the next section, we’d like you to imagine that you are shopping for a midsize truck to replace your Tacoma, and you are trying to decide which type of engine to buy.

You can either get a base 4-cylinder gasoline engine, or an OPTIONAL engine with different:

• Engine type: diesel, hybrid or gasoline
• MPG
• Engine size
• Towing capacity
• 0-60 acceleration
• Added cost over the base engine

On the following screens, you will see different engine options - simply choose the one you like best.

We greatly appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback regarding different engine configurations. Your opinions will have an impact on the trucks that Toyota builds in the future. Thank you for your participation!
Old 11-16-2013, 07:25 PM   #19
KB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant futureKB Voodoo has a brilliant future
Name: Chad
KB Voodoo's Tacoma Gallery
So if they haven't even decided on engines yet, say good bye to a 2015 redesign.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:33 PM   #20
bzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the roughbzzr2 is a jewel in the rough
bzzr2's Tacoma Gallery
redesign 2017