1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

HELP NEEDED

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Offroadtaco, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Nov 17, 2013 at 12:18 PM
    Offroadtaco

Offroadtaco [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5
    Cobra 29 LTD Classic CB Radio, Fire Stick 4ft antenna, A.R.E. Campershell, 12in sub with JBL amp, Rear bumper tow loops.
    so ive been getting this clanging noise comming from under the truck. it sounds like the clutch but the noise worsens when i turn the steering wheel. but when i clutch in the noise stops. its hard to explain and i dont really know what more details there are to give other than the truck is a 2008 prerunner, 2.7l manual.

2. Nov 17, 2013 at 12:35 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Have you lubed the driveshaft u-joints?

3. Nov 17, 2013 at 2:32 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are FOOD, not friends!

Member:
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    RIP 2006 Tacoma DCSB
    Tundra 5.7 mod
    Probably not, unless they were replaced with greasable u-joints. Pre-2010 prerunners had non-greasable u-joints. But, a failed u-joint is a good posibility.

4. Nov 17, 2013 at 3:16 PM
    jw1983

jw1983 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    13' Tacoma Access 4x4 OR
    Op you might want to change your title explaining a bit more to your issue. "Need Help" is only going to get so many hits. Just a suggestion.

5. Nov 18, 2013 at 4:26 PM
    Offroadtaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5
    Cobra 29 LTD Classic CB Radio, Fire Stick 4ft antenna, A.R.E. Campershell, 12in sub with JBL amp, Rear bumper tow loops.
    I put help needed because i want the most sujestions as possible. the noise stops when i press the clutch peddle in. i noticed that my steering wheel pump was low so i added more fluid to it and the rest of the day it wasnt making the noise anymore.... the noise is quiet or none now but when i turn the wheel it gets louder. it makes me think that it is the power steering but the noise honestly sounds like it is from the bell houseing on the tranny.

6. Nov 18, 2013 at 4:30 PM
    Offroadtaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5
    and it makes the noise when rolling in neutral or at a stop with the clutch out and in neutral. i thought it was the throw out berring too but it doesnt make sense that turning the wheel makes the noise louder unless it is because of the load on the engine that the pump makes

7. Nov 18, 2013 at 4:51 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    I would suggest removing the serpentine belt and running the engine to see if the noise is still there . Noises can be tricky over the keyboard but you gave us a hint with the power steering pump .Noises also transfer making it sound like its coming from the drivetrain but really the noise is in the front .
    Dont run the truck long cuz you wont be cooling or charging and your power steering pump wont be turning
    Does the noise go away with the belt removed ? clutch in clutch out ?
    EDIT - This will eliminate anything that runs by the serpentine belt and help you get a better idea of where the issue exists if the noise is still there . Mechanics try this frequently when noises are difficult to reproduce or hard to find .
    Almost sounds like you have 2 issues

Last edited: Nov 18, 2013
  8. Nov 27, 2013 at 2:37 PM
    Offroadtaco

Member:
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SR5
    I havent had the chance to remove the belt yet, it seems to go away when i make a complete stop, or when the clutch pedel is pushed in. I have checked all my fluids, plenty of oil in the engine, tranny, and power steering pump. and my breaks are fine too. I dont really know what else to do. if i pull the belt it wont really matter because the noise only occurs when the truck is in motion. used to make the noise all the time but now it has receeded to only every now and then. Im honestly thinking of dropping the tranny and replacing the clutch. the truck has over 100,000 miles on it and to my knowledge the clutch has never been touched.

9. Nov 27, 2013 at 5:35 PM
    Wattapunk

Wattapunk Stay lifted my friends !

Member:
    First Name:
    Uncle K
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB 4WD
    There is a good possibility you have a noisy power steering pump along with a bad TO bearing at the same time.

Products Discussed in

To Top