1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Roaring noise. Wheel bearing?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by slingn em, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Nov 17, 2013 at 4:15 PM
    slingn em

slingn em [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    bradley
    mississippi coast
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD SPORT
    bull bar, magnaflow exhaust, k&n drop in,
    05 tacoma trd sport 4x4. I have had a problem with roaring in the front end. I've done my research and did the bushing install. But the noise persists. It gets very noticible between 60-70 mph but I can slightly notice it at all speeds. It gets worse with a right turn and lessens with a left turn. My Gut is telling me wheel bearings. But I've checked for any slack in my wheels and no slack at all. And the other thing that puzzles me is how it increases at 60 mph and eases after 70 mph. My experience with bad wheel bearings is a roar that gets worse with speed and doesn't ease at any certain speed. Does anyone have any experience with wheel bearing problems and the symptoms?

2. Nov 18, 2013 at 1:45 PM
    slingn em

slingn em [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    bradley
    mississippi coast
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD SPORT
    Another note. This truck has 112,000 miles and has never seen mud.

3. Nov 18, 2013 at 1:48 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Have you greased the driveshaft u-joints, lately?

4. Nov 18, 2013 at 1:50 PM
    slingn em

slingn em [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    bradley
    mississippi coast
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD SPORT
    Yes, I have also changed tires since with no change in the roaring noise.

5. Nov 18, 2013 at 1:55 PM
    Tacorriendo

Tacorriendo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2009 DCSB 4x4 Off-Road
    Front lift, ride rite air bags, side steps, rear camera switch.
    one way I figured out it was a bearing, was when I will pull over forcefully at highway speeds, the noise will go away momentarily. another way was that while accelerating, the noise will increase in frequency corresponding with the speed.

6. Nov 18, 2013 at 3:52 PM
    sandjunkie

sandjunkie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    OC
  7. Jun 29, 2014 at 4:30 PM
    jdtoothnail

jdtoothnail Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Wapato, WA
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport DC 4x4 w/ 3" Toytec Lift
    3" Toytec/Eibach Coilover lift w/ 5100s in front, Toytec rear BOSS shocks, Light Racing UCAs, OME Dakar Rear Leaf Packs w/ rear axle degree shims, Toyo Open Country A/T II LT285/75R16 (33"), Gear Alloy 712MB Injectors (Machined Black & Chrome wheels), Airaid Cool Air Intake System, TRD Exhaust, Black Head Light Mod, GrillCraft Black Mesh Upper & Lower Grill, Removed Mudflaps, Jensen VM9324 DVD player (secret e-brake override code on all Jensens) w/ Streaming Bluetooth Adapter, Steering Wheel Adapter & Rear Back-up Camera... ALL done by me, thanks to all the info here on TW. If I can do it, you can DEFINITELY do it!
    Started noticing a bad noise a couple months ago that increases with speed, seems like it is coming directly from the front end of my truck, and completely disappears when I veer left. Thought it was my 32" tires that were wearing down, got them rotated since the wear was pretty bad, no change.

Got my new 33" Toyos installed Friday at Les Schwab and I told them the noise completely disappears when I veer left. They said it was one of my bearings:

Product Code: 147748; Description: FW194 BEARING $184.18
    Labor: INSTALL FWD BRGS - EACH - NON STUD $86.75

Is this (http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...ub-solution-ive-done-work-you-save-money.html) worth doing myself if I have no idea what a bearing is or does? :rolleyes: or should I just take it to Les Schwab to do it for $292.33 (I've now done 3 lift kits myself and a number of other mods so I'm sure I could figure it out, but I kinda want this noise gone yesterday)?

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  8. Jul 1, 2014 at 11:15 PM
    elkhunter358

elkhunter358 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    01 4x4 trd 2.5'' lift step side
    danahoe coil over 2.5-3'' 2'' leave springs in back diff breather air aid intake vinyl flooring bed liner in bed and side panels turn signal mod
    Ive got the same symptoms on my 01 4x4 205,000 miles. Changed the bearing/ it was bad. but i still have a similar noise with same symptoms. Different noise but the same. Any other ideas? CV maybe?

9. Jul 2, 2014 at 12:13 PM
    jdtoothnail

jdtoothnail Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Wapato, WA
    Vehicle:
    3" Toytec/Eibach Coilover lift w/ 5100s in front, Toytec rear BOSS shocks, Light Racing UCAs, OME Dakar Rear Leaf Packs w/ rear axle degree shims, Toyo Open Country A/T II LT285/75R16 (33"), Gear Alloy 712MB Injectors (Machined Black & Chrome wheels), Airaid Cool Air Intake System, TRD Exhaust, Black Head Light Mod, GrillCraft Black Mesh Upper & Lower Grill, Removed Mudflaps, Jensen VM9324 DVD player (secret e-brake override code on all Jensens) w/ Streaming Bluetooth Adapter, Steering Wheel Adapter & Rear Back-up Camera... ALL done by me, thanks to all the info here on TW. If I can do it, you can DEFINITELY do it!
    My rig is at Les Schwab this morning. Hoping the "wah wah wah wah" sound/vibration will be fixed. Will give an update this evening.

10. Jul 2, 2014 at 1:02 PM
    obzerver

obzerver Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Surrey, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 SR5 TRD
    Grillcraft grill, 20" LED Light bar, 17" MB TKO wheels, 265/70R17 Cooper ATPs, Uniden PRO520XL CB, Pioneer AVH-P2400BT
    sub'd, hearing a very similar sound. Curious to know what they say.

11. Jul 2, 2014 at 7:51 PM
    jdtoothnail

jdtoothnail Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    Wapato, WA
    Vehicle:
    Picked up my truck, back to being (what now seems) quiet as a mouse! A bearing issue should be something a mechanic will know with certainty if you take it in. Gotta love Les Schwab... quoted $292... ended up being quite a bit more, they asked what it was that they quoted, and honored that... and they drove me to work both times (I got a ride back from a coworker each time).

If you lift your truck so your wheels are off the ground, grab your tires firmly one hand on top and the other on bottom and give it a few good yanks, any play means there's an issue. http://youtu.be/Nq1zGxnF8Qk

12. Nov 19, 2018 at 1:14 PM
    tenbears63

tenbears63 New Member

Member:
    I have a roaring noise from my '11 taco. It disappears whenever I turn right so I changed the right side wheel bearing, did not affect the noise at all.

13. Nov 19, 2018 at 1:19 PM
    MolonLabeTaco

MolonLabeTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dude
    N. Texas
    Vehicle:
    '12 DC 4x4 OR
    Mine passed the “wobble” test but it wa wa wa wa that got faster and faster until it hummed. Turn leftwhile going 50+ MPH and it stayed the same, turn right and it went away. Replaced the PS wheel bearing/hub and didn’t change anything. An hour later I had the DS changed and it’s now silent! Sound going away by turning right you’d of thought it was the PS. Nope, just the opposite.

14. Nov 19, 2018 at 1:29 PM
    super_white

super_white Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma 4X4
    Passenger side wheel bearing. I just did my driver side (noise went away when turning right). Trying to find time to do my passenger side. I bought bearings/hubs for both sides. Truck has 120K and I put bigger tires on it, so.
    Buys these and avoid headaches: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/wheel-bearings-hubs-4x4-prerunner-165-ea.537080/

15. Nov 19, 2018 at 4:57 PM
    tenbears63

tenbears63 New Member

Member:
    Now I'm excited to get the other one changed, thanks for the quick response. I may change it tomorrow, I'll post as soon as I do.

16. Nov 20, 2018 at 5:52 PM
    tenbears63

tenbears63 New Member

Member:
    Changed the driver's side wheel bearing, no noise at all now. The shimmy from hard braking is gone as well. Thanks so much!

super_white, MolonLabeTaco and b_r_o like this.
  17. Nov 20, 2018 at 6:08 PM
    b_r_o

b_r_o Beef jerky time

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB
    Dont rely on sharp turns to determine the bad side. The wiggle test isnt always goingto reveal anything obvious either. Try this instead. With the front wheels off the ground, grab the knuckle with one hand and spin the wheel with the other. If bearing is bad you will feel roughness through the knuckle. It may be slight but you'll feel it. Dont worry about the brake pads rubbing on the rotor, it's the vibrations through your hand that will tell you about the health of the bearing. If it feels whisper quiet move on to the next wheel.

You'll see techs doing this when the car is in the air for an oil change. They'll go to each corner, reach up and grab the strut while spinning the wheel. They're checking for noisy bearings. It works especially good at the rear of fwd cars, the noise will easily stand out.

Currygoat and Lester Lugnut like this.
  18. Nov 21, 2018 at 1:37 AM
    super_white

super_white Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma 4X4
    What I did was to put the truck on a lift. Put it in 4WD and have someone drive it while I listened to each knuckle where the bearing is with a long screwdriver.

19. Nov 21, 2018 at 3:44 AM
    SH7mi

SH7mi YotaWerx Pro Authorized Tuner PA MD DE NJ

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    West Grove, Pa.
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma DCLB OR Black KD-Max Pro
    AE manifold spacer Bed lights Seat Jackers Blackvue Dashcam YotaWerx Tuned Fumoto Oil Pan Valve
    I would agree with the wheel bearing diagnosis. If you replace one, replace both. There’s a few TW vendors who sell the bearing/hub assembly. I just recently purchased a set for $315 delivered. I’ll be installing tomorrow. It’s a fairly easy DIY.

20. Dec 21, 2020 at 5:51 AM
    MyMule

MyMule Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lowell
    Morristown, TN, United States
    Vehicle:
    2007 4.0 V6 2WD Extended cab...Pre runner
    Bigger battery..Elec in the bed..Topper,
    Now its almost Christmas 2020 and I have the same deal...Scoped the rear and couldn't determine...Roars start @ 35 but goes silent in r hand curves...Gonna replace both front bearings soon..

Products Discussed in

To Top