1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Any ideas for truck bed chest/box under tonneau?

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by keninsb, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Nov 18, 2013 at 9:22 PM
    RobD

RobD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    2013 Spruce Mica Tacoma Double Cab TRD
    It fits up against the front wall of the box and doesn't stick out far enough to get between the wheel wells at all. There is also enough room to the right and left of the box for me to fit a ten liter Jerry cab on either side plus a jug of washer fluid, as well. The top of the box is about flush with the tie down rails. I'll try to get you some pictures tomorrow during the day.

2. Nov 19, 2013 at 10:41 AM
    keninsb

keninsb [OP] "Senior", Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    Thanks Rob, that sounds like just what I was looking for. I am going to give the Truxedo a try and if I cannot make it fit I am going to return it and get the DeeZee. I bought the Truxedo through Amazon and they are AWESOME about returns. I will post to let everyone know if I can make the truxed box fit.
    Thanks again,
    Ken

3. Nov 19, 2013 at 1:35 PM
    Piratelawyer

Piratelawyer Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    North Carolina
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Double Cab
    Would love to hear how the Truxedo works for you. I have the same Backflip cover.

4. Nov 19, 2013 at 1:51 PM
    Lespaulkid01

Lespaulkid01 I prefer the term "beer researcher".

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    MoCo, Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2013 Double Cab TRD Sport, Pyrite Mica
    tool chest, vent visors, tuffy bed box, scangauge, Bilstein 5100's, OME 885x springs, Wheeler's HD AAL, LED map, dome, and reverse lights, Bestop Supertop.
    This is what I got. UWS TBC42W Chest. fits between the wheel wells and up against the back of the cab nicely and I can still use my Tonneau (Access Lorado). Go to the 2nd/3rd Page for pictures and such.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/298850-extra-storage-short-bed.html

There is also the UWS TBS54SPLA which is a typical crossover type box, but is made for a stepside Ranger so it fits on top/between the wheel wells. The deep part is 42" and I think like 18" tall or something like that. It would fit perfectly and was my original thought, but with the rails for the Tonneau I wouldn't have been able to open to lid completely.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  5. Nov 19, 2013 at 3:27 PM
    keninsb

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    I will definitely post results when I get it. I just checked tracking for the item on Amazon and it shows "Delivered". I looked all around my house, including the back yard and it wasn't anywhere. Turns out FedEx delivered it to an address in the Bronx, NY (I live in Goleta, CA). They were only 3000 miles off:) Amazon is sending out another next day air so I should get it Thursday, they have pretty good customer service.

LPK that looks like a nice chest with a LOT of room. I like it! Thanks again for all of the cool ideas guys and thanks for that link LPK.
    Ken

6. Nov 19, 2013 at 6:06 PM
    Lespaulkid01

Lespaulkid01 I prefer the term "beer researcher".

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    MoCo, Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2013 Double Cab TRD Sport, Pyrite Mica
    tool chest, vent visors, tuffy bed box, scangauge, Bilstein 5100's, OME 885x springs, Wheeler's HD AAL, LED map, dome, and reverse lights, Bestop Supertop.
    No problem, I know you already got the Truxedo, but if it ends up not working I figured I'd give you another option. It sounds like what I have is more or less what you were looking for. and yes, it has a TON of room. I used to keep all my stuff for work (hard hat, vest, harness, boots, flashlights, pocket knife, tape, pens, etc.) in a 64 quart plastic box from Target and it was pretty much full. I put it all in here along with my socket set and a few other things like my tie downs and its maybe 1/5th full at the most. It's water tight too which is nice.

7. Nov 19, 2013 at 6:18 PM
    keninsb

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    That is amazing LP, and you are right, I am looking for all of the ideas/suggestions that I can get. I have a feeling that the Truxedo will not fit, it is going to be VERY close. If that is the case I am definitely looking at a chest as the only other viable option. I had originally planned to get a BakBox made by BakFlip that is supposed to work in conjunction with the tonneau cover, but apparently they only make then for full size trucks. I asked if they offered ANY for smaller pickups thinking that I may be able to modify one, but they had nothing for the smaller trucks so no go.
    Anyway, thanks again for the info and I will post when (if) FedEx gets the box to me this time and after the attempted install (fingers crossed).
    Ken

8. Nov 19, 2013 at 9:28 PM
    RobD

RobD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    Even though you've selected a different one, here are the pics of mine, for future reference or for anyone else who's looking to add a storage box to their truck.

IMG_5346_zpscd46a76e_ffe97c627367542af8ec8966d74aff00d1db5521.jpg

IMG_5351_zps5922fc57_22500a586672d9b8307b98b41d5bd803ff593666.jpg

IMG_5352_zps2087c269_6f652d8041d06cb86818b2d9846d55fd48303794.jpg

9. Nov 20, 2013 at 2:44 AM
    MPToyo17

MPToyo17 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Coconut Creek
    Vehicle:
    '05 PreRunner
    Here is my UWS 42" chest, just a little higher than the rails, mine is sitting on a bed mat.
    veqybury_4285294f4881a84857c7976dc45f9d6fff21367d.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1384944226.770283.jpg

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  10. Nov 20, 2013 at 4:32 AM
    cverneau

cverneau Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Cheshire, CT.
    Vehicle:
    11 Access Cab 4cyl 4x4 Auto
    AVS In-Channel Window Deflectors, AVS Rear Window Sun/Rain Deflector, EGR Front Hood Deflector, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Liners With TRD Off Road Decals, TonnoPro Tri-Fold Cover, Coverking Black Neoprene Front Seat Covers & Front & Rear Center Console Covers, Black With Red Stitched TRD Head Rest Covers, Rear Grey Neoprene Wet Okole Seat Covers, Black Front Door Handle Pull Covers, Husky Custom Molded Mud Flaps, Devil Horns Of Fire On Satoshi, 7" Off Road Lights Mounted Behind Grill, Pop N Lock 5300, Seatbelt Chime Off, Interior & Exterior Led's, Cubby & Drink Holder Amber LED's, Infinity Reference #9633 6X9 Front Speakers, Solar-Gard HP Smoke 35% Tint, De-badged & Pinstripe Removal, Sun Visor Stickers Removed, Illuminated 4x4 Switch, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Ultragauge, TRD Aluminum Skid Plate, Bed Storage Cubby Locks Mod, Additional D-Rings In Bed, Rubber Bed Mat, Intermittent Wiper Stalk, Black Vinyl Arm Rest Mod, Secondary Air Filter Removal Mod, Spare Tire Rod Alignment Tube Mod, 14" Antenna Mod, Tailgate Theft Mod, DTRL Wire Jumper Mod, Parking Lights As Turn Signals Mod, Under Hood LED Strip Lighting Mod, 30 Watt Reverse Bulbs, PIAA 510's With LED's In Fog Locations, Cree LED Flood lights In Rear Bumper, Burner Bedlights In Bed Cubby's, Avid Light Bar, Horn Relocation Mod, Rear TSB Springs, Bilstein 5100's on all four corners - front set at 0.85", Cooper Discoverer ATP - 265-75R/16, Pioneer AVH-X3700BHS Head Unit With Microbypass, Added USB Charging Ports Under Dash.
  11. Nov 20, 2013 at 8:49 AM
    keninsb

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    RobD and MPT I like those DeeZee boxes. I looked all over their site before starting this thread, but it seemed like the chests were either way too small or just too big. Thanks for posting pics!!! It is so cool to SEE hoe they fit instead of guessing. It also didn't help that the dimensions given on Amazon almost always differ from the dimension on the manufacturer site!
    Cvrneau, that is another great example of a box/chest that makes great use of the available room! I like it. I am going to see if they have one in black.
    Man, thanks to all of you guys for all of the info and pics. I have been looking for a while (I mean hours) and got more answers from this thread and TW members than I did from hours of research on the web. That is what I love about these forums, seems like there are always some people that are eager to provide GOOD info!
    Thanks again,
    Ken

12. Nov 21, 2013 at 11:02 AM
    keninsb

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    DOH!!! I am SO bummed. I got the Truxedo chest and tried it in the bed of my truck this morning. The doggon thing is about 1/2"-3/4" too long! I would fit perfectly in the bed and be mountable IF I did not have the BakFlip tonneau cover. The rails for the cover stick out about 3/4" to 1" inside the bed, so if the Truxedo box is in there you cannot open the lid. I thought about trimming the rails for the BakFlip, but they are designed as a channel to funnel the water towards the drain tubes or the bed of the truck, so cutting them would break the seal and channel and allow water to flow freely under the tonneau cover. Damn, it is a great looking box too, with LOTS of room. I will say this, it is very wide so it takes up a lot of bed space and if it did fit, there is only about 2" of clearance between the bottom of the box and the truck bed, so almost might as well mount it to the floor.
    OK, so next I am looking to try one of the Dee Zee (or other brand) chests that you guys posted. Thanks again for all of the help.
    Ken

13. Nov 21, 2013 at 2:11 PM
    keninsb

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    Well, today FedEx showed up with yet ANOTHER Truxedo box!!! I checked Amazon and it was shown as a new order, but with $0.00 as the price!! Being the honest guy I am I refused delivery and called Amazon to let them know what happened. Amazing.
    Ken

14. Nov 21, 2013 at 4:14 PM
    keninsb

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD

15. Nov 21, 2013 at 6:54 PM
    RobD

RobD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Calgary
    Vehicle:
    I think it's a DZ8537B, if I sorta remember correctly.

http://www.deezee.com/products/3297...ed_Label_Portable_Utility_Chests_-_Black.html

16. Nov 21, 2013 at 7:18 PM
    keninsb

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
  17. Nov 22, 2013 at 2:33 AM
    MPToyo17

MPToyo17 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Coconut Creek
    Vehicle:
    '05 PreRunner
    MPT, do you think that the chest would sit below the top of the bed rails with no bed mat?

Thanks again guys. The search continues...
    Ken[/QUOTE]

Ken, yes. I just recently purchased the mat, the box was sitting on the floor and was lower than the top of the bed rails, not much but lower.

18. Nov 22, 2013 at 4:51 AM
    Wattapunk

Wattapunk Stay lifted my friends !

Member:
    First Name:
    Uncle K
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2005 DCLB 4WD
    This toolbox is probably too small and flimsy for your needs but I figured I post this since I scored this yesterday on CL for $60(not worth the full $175-200 price tag). I use my bed quite a bit and this fits my needs. It's hard plastic and swings out for access. Can easily be removed completely if needed. It's a swing case toolbox. Touted to hold up to 70lbs. It's good to keep small tools,gloves, straps, etc..Some have bought 2 for each side.I also have a Bakflip.

2013-11-21_18-12-50_81.jpg

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  19. Nov 22, 2013 at 10:37 AM
    keninsb

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    Ken, yes. I just recently purchased the mat, the box was sitting on the floor and was lower than the top of the bed rails, not much but lower.[/QUOTE]

Thanks man. I am going to pull the trigger on something today.

That is an awesome deal. You can't go wrong at that price. I actually have an OLD Contico chest in the truck now, but was looking for something a little larger. I recently downsized from a Tundra to the Taco so I gave up TONS of storage space in the cab. I am one of those guys that would rather have something and not need it, than to need it and not have it so there is a bunch of stuff in my truck for "emergencies", etc. Whatever I get, I am going to try to rig up some J-hooks to attach it to the bed so that it can be easily removed for extra room.
    Anyway, thanks again guys. I will definitely post the results and some pics when I finally get something.
    Ken

20. Dec 4, 2013 at 7:29 PM
    keninsb

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    I FINALLY found a well built box with a lot of room that fits PERFECTLY in my 2013 Tacoma Double Cab!!
    After going through three boxes as trials (or was it four?), I found a Delta box (#PAH1421002) that fits absolutely perfectly in my truck. It was REALLY hard to take the leap on this box because it was pricey and the angles (it is a beveled box) made it very hard to figure out if it would fit or not. I knew it was going to be a matter of fractions of an inch. Anyway, I got the box and tried to install it and at first it looked like it was about 1/4 too wide. Then I lifted the box in place and dropped it back into place leveled and it dropped right into place making contact with both fender wells, the back wall and the bed floor. It is SUCH a snug fit that when in place, you cannot budge it at all. Having a tonneau cover I don't even need to bolt it into place to keep it from sliding around. The ONLY downside is that the tonneau cover limits the height that you can lift the lid. This is a trade of I am totally willing to live with as I can still get all of the items I store in the box into it easily. Oh, and BTW, I used a part/tool search engine called The Frugal Mechanic. It shows different sites where the tool/part you are looking for is located and if there are any current coupons, etc. for the item. I was able to get the box for about $150 cheaper than eBay by getting free shipping, no sales tax and a coupon for $30off at StreetsideAuto.com. I strongly recommend the Frugal Mechanic.

Ken
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top