1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Creaking on low speed bumps/turning

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jowybyo, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Nov 19, 2013 at 5:43 AM
    jowybyo

jowybyo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    '14 MGM DCSB Postrunner 4wd Conversion, Debadged
    I have a brand new '14 DCSB and it started making a creaking when going slowly over bumps. I can somethings get it to do it just turning the wheel. Not sure if it's just because the body is rolling during the turn. I applied Fluid Film liberally under the truck about 150 miles ago. Does anyone know where Tacomas typically start creaking? Or if the Fluid Film was a mistake and messed up the bushings? My truck only has 500 miles.

2. Nov 19, 2013 at 8:08 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Creeking could be coming from any where. Your best bet is to take it to the dealer ship and have them look at it under warranty, since you have a 2014 that most likely still has the warranty. Typically creeking will come from suspension components. If you have recently had an alignment, it may be come from your lower control arms. The four cams that attach to the frame have nuts that need to be torqued to 100ftlbs, if not, they'll creek. Also creeking can come from the rear springs, they may have dirt wedged between them that you can just spray out at the car wash, then spray some lube between them to prevent further noises. Pretty much anything loose will creek, could be that from the factory, a body mount bolt didn't get torqued completely. What you need to do is simulate this the best that you can, and have someone listen for it in and out of the vehicle to try and narrow down where it is coming from. Good luck

3. Nov 20, 2013 at 5:22 AM
    jowybyo

jowybyo [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    '14 MGM DCSB Postrunner 4wd Conversion, Debadged
    Thanks for the reply. I narrowed it down to the passenger side front suspension. I can simulate the creaking by bouncing that side of the truck. This weekend I will put a wrench on every bolt. I'm worried the dealer will make a big deal out of me spraying Fluid Film underneath the truck.

4. Nov 20, 2013 at 9:30 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more

It says in the manual that it is the owners responsibility to ensure the overall condition of the truck. Spraying fluid film on exposed metal parts falls under that category, and they shouldn't have much to comment on. Do you know all the torque specs for the front suspension? Here is a few

Upper control arm to frame nut: 85ftlbs
    Lower control arm to frame nuts: 100ftlbs
    lower ball joint mount to spindle bolts: 118ftlbs

those are the ones I know off the top of my head that may cause the creeking. Also check your strut top nut (the one in the center), I've noticed creeking from that being loose and the bushing moving to much. Also the 3 nuts holding the top of the strut to the frame. If you can't find all the torque specs, PM me your cell# and I'll check my book tomorrow.

Products Discussed in

To Top