1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Review of Prestigious Society and eBay BU Camera Head Unit Mods

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by keninsb, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Nov 20, 2013 at 6:59 PM
    keninsb

keninsb [OP] "Senior", Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Goleta, CA
    Vehicle:
    '13 Taco DC 4WD V6 LTD
    I wanted to let everyone know that I finally decided to get the back up camera mod from eBay user ckremernimrod1 to install on my 2013 Tacoma 4WD DC LTD. I also spent $$ on some kits from Prestigious Society to unlock functionality on the head unit, and allow for an audio/video input. Here is what I learned:
    The kits from Prestigious are known for being pricey, but in this case you definitely get what you pay for. The units are assembled in Japan and look BETTER than the stock wiring harnesses, etc. I was told by someone else that they also use top of the line components and chips in their modules, not the cheap stuff, so they are quality units built to last. As good as the product is, the customer service is better! I emailed a question asking if their system would work in conjunction with the BU camera system I bought on eBay. Keep in mind I emailed them on a Sunday afternoon, not expecting to hear back from them until the following week. To my surprise I got an email response within 15 minutes! We exchanged a couple of emails, every time a super fast response, and Mark from Prestigious ended up calling me with all of the right info (the guy knows his stuff!). I strongly recommend this company, both for quality and service.
    Mark told me that the eBay unit should work on my 2013 Tacoma in conjunction with their setup, but that I had to connect the eBay unit on the vehicle side (not head unit side) of the connectors. He also advised me to be aware that in 2013 Toyota for some unknown reason decided NOT to run a REVERSE signal to the back of the head unit, unlike the prior year and year after. I figured, no problem, I can tap into it somewhere else.
    I emailed the seller from eBay and asked him if I needed to track down that REVERSE signal to trigger the camera display on the HU. Now I had requested that when he build my harness that he make it so I could view the back up camera on the mirror AND the HU simultaneously, so that is the way he made it for me. Not only that, he already knew about the REVERSE signal issue and the harness was built with an extension and instructions on how to tap into the REVERSE signal!
    The Prestigious products are a piece of cake to install, truly plug and play. Just unplug a couple of harnesses from the back of the HU and plug the Prestigious harness in-line. The eBay back up camera harness was almost as easy, just two wires that need to be connected elsewhere on the vehicle, but the directs provide location and method to tap into the needed wires. Took me about one hour to install both and I soldered the REVERSE trigger connection.
    Both the Prestigious and eBay products came with great instructions. Anyone who has ever removed a head unit can install either or both setups and both sellers responded quickly and knowledgably to inquiries.
    In my opinion the best thing about the Tacoma LTD is the stereo. In other vehicles that I have owned it was always the first upgrade that I made. The stereo is so good in my Taco, that I figured I would spend the money and do these upgrades rather than starting from scratch with an aftermarket HU.
    All in all I would definitely recommend either or both systems. Just my 2 cents.
    Ken

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top