1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Aftermarket Catalytic - who has used them?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by blufie, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Nov 21, 2013 at 6:00 AM
    blufie

blufie [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Oklahoma
    Vehicle:
    06 Quad Cab Sport 4X4
    Stereo, Running Lights, Toneau cover
    I have been searching the past two days for some info on aftermarket cats for my 2006 Tacoma V6, but am finding suprisingly little useful info.

I am only interested in the single manifold/converter unit (or first cat) since it takes care of the gas that the Airfuel Ratio and O2 sensors manage for the P0420/P0430 trouble codes.

Given the number of these that go bad, or are stolen, I would think there would be a plethora of experience with all the aftermarket option available, but the only thing I have found is people reccomending OEM only because aftermarket is junk.

I will agree that you get what you pay for, but I also know that the dealers get a pretty penny for ALL of their parts and often the atermarket has reasonable options that avoid nosebleed prices. Rock Auto has 5 different manufacturers listed for 49 state shipping. Luckily, I live in OK and we have no emissions inspection currently so I "could" use any of these, but I don't want to waste money either.

So, if you have direct experience with non-oe manifold/cat units on these vehicle, please share your experience.

I don't want to sound rude, but I don't need info on catback systems, performance alternatives. or replacements stuff for anything else but these parts. I am aware that I could get O2 simulators and performace URD parts that would be awesome, but I am looking for a viable budget solution for this issue - if such a thing exists.

Thanks all for their time!

2. Aug 11, 2014 at 9:07 AM
    Muy Grande

Muy Grande Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Dallas, TX; RGV, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD
    Suspension: DHoes up front, Dakar and OME out back. Audio: Alpine w205 w/ pair of Alpine Amps, Image Dynamic 6.5 Component Speakers up front and Image Dynamic Subs in the Back. Armor: ARB Bull Bar, Rocktek rear bumper and custom rock sliders. Other: Rigid Industries LED Light Bar, Platinum DieHard Battery, BlueSea Fuse Block, rear lights, bed lights, leds inside.
    Bump...anybody. Was wondering the same thing.

3. Aug 11, 2014 at 9:21 AM
    ranger098

ranger098 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Minnesota
    Sorry if this isnt what you're looking for but i would go to car-part.com to get your manifolds. You'll get factory ones and can find low mileage ones for way cheaper than aftermarket. That's what id do.

Sounds like your just searching for someone to give you the answer you want instead of understanding that factory is the best way to go.

4. Aug 11, 2014 at 1:35 PM
    Muy Grande

Muy Grande Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Dallas, TX; RGV, TX
    Vehicle:
    06 DC TRD
    Suspension: DHoes up front, Dakar and OME out back. Audio: Alpine w205 w/ pair of Alpine Amps, Image Dynamic 6.5 Component Speakers up front and Image Dynamic Subs in the Back. Armor: ARB Bull Bar, Rocktek rear bumper and custom rock sliders. Other: Rigid Industries LED Light Bar, Platinum DieHard Battery, BlueSea Fuse Block, rear lights, bed lights, leds inside.
    This is some good info.....never thought about car-part for salvaged parts. And to be honest, I know Original parts are usually the best route to go but when money is tight and dealership prices are un-reasonalbe then aftermarket might do the job.

I recently got the P0430 code and have been researching this code for the past week. The thing is I don't want to throw money on a band aid only to spend money again. I'm trying to determine the root cause, evaluating the route I should take and determine if it makes sense money wise. I'm not aware of a local salvage yard that I could take some CATS off for cheap but at least you have me looking in a possible direction. No longer in Dallas.....if I was I'd be out at the Pick and Pull.......Thanks.

Products Discussed in

To Top