Notices

What the hell???

Old 09-22-2007, 02:43 AM   #1
Secret Agent
Viper-2 will become famous soon enough
Viper-2's Tacoma Gallery
Angry What the hell???

I don't get this review: http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/mostw...0/article.html

If the Tacoma is the truck most of them would buy then how the hell did the Frontier win in that stupid video we all cringed at in their own review? In case you haven't seen it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKw2hX6xShc
Old 09-22-2007, 08:56 AM   #2
TrippinEx is on a distinguished road

TrippinEx's Tacoma Gallery
If you dig a little deeper, you'll notice that the video review was for the 2005 Tacoma and Frontier: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=107904

The other edmunds review you pointed out is for the 2007 models.

Guess they liked the Tacoma better in 2007 than they did in 2005...
Old 09-23-2007, 05:39 AM   #3
Secret Agent
Viper-2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippinEx View Post
If you dig a little deeper, you'll notice that the video review was for the 2005 Tacoma and Frontier: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=107904

You're right, weird. I suppose I always just feel that the 05 and the 07 are the same truck...I know they pretty much are. But maybe the competition changed? Wasn't the Nissan upgraded in 2005 also? Didn't it stay the same in 2007 too?

Duh...
Old 09-23-2007, 06:37 AM   #4
Mudbug is on a distinguished road

Mudbug's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper-2 View Post
You're right, weird. I suppose I always just feel that the 05 and the 07 are the same truck...I know they pretty much are. But maybe the competition changed? Wasn't the Nissan upgraded in 2005 also? Didn't it stay the same in 2007 too?

Duh...
Toyota paid them more than nissan in 07 hahahahaha
Old 09-23-2007, 07:51 AM   #5

I took a look at Consumer Reports. The Tacoma was rated slightly higher than the Frontier for '08. They were both recommended buys.

I looked at the '05 models on CR. Where the Tacoma won out (the difference being Excellent vs. Very Good) was in Owner Satisfaction. There was one thing the Frontier got knocked on, and it was their drive system (rated Good). That's about it.

Reviews are like opinions which are like... Everybody has one. So, my guess would be whoever rated the '05 models on edmunds wasn't the same when the review was done for the '07 models.
Old 09-23-2007, 08:00 AM   #6
flyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

flyman767's Tacoma Gallery
There is always some good limited information one can ascertain from reading a 'car review'.... but from my experience you take the good with the bad. Everyone has there opinion...are they biased? Maybe? Are we biased on this forum? Maybe? I know there are several owners, no matter what vehicle they buy, believe everything they read needs to reinforce the decision they made to buy the vehicle they own. The Tacoma is not perfect and nor is the Frontier or any other vehicle...but the reason I purchased a Tacoma is for the design, quality, and reliability of Toyota's. Time will ultimately tell if the new Tacoma's will hold up to previous generations. However, I do have reservations they will.
Old 09-23-2007, 09:21 AM   #7

I'm biased, that's for certain. I've always owned Toyotas. In my lifetime, I've owned:
  • '82 Tercel
  • '95 Camry LE
  • '97 4Runner SR5
  • '99 4Runner Limited
  • '03 Sequoia SR5
  • '05 Tacoma PreRunner Regular Cab
  • '06 Tacoma PreRunner Double Cab
Old 09-23-2007, 12:09 PM   #8
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
I'm with ya TrippinEx. Hence the name Toy4Life.
I've owned:
-95 Tercel
-00 Avalon
-04 Corolla
-04 Highlander
-04 Xb
-02 Tacoma 4x4 AccessCab
These include my wifes vehicles, whom I converted after marriage.
Old 09-23-2007, 03:19 PM   #9

That's funny that you say that about converting your wife. I converted my wife, too. When I met her, she was driving a '97 Mitsubishi Diamante. When she turned it in, she wanted a two seater. We looked at the 200x MR2s, but there was just too much engine noise (obviously since it is a mid engine car). So, we got her a 2001 BMW Z3 v6 (that was a sweet ride). Then, we had our son, so I convinced her to get an '06 Sienna Limited. It's nice, but it is the epitome of a "grocery getter."
Old 09-23-2007, 03:50 PM   #10
03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all03coma is a name known to all

03coma's Tacoma Gallery
ahhh.. don't believe everything you see.. We all know here that the TACOMA are #1
All I can say about Nissan, it's about time they stepped up to the plate.
Old 09-23-2007, 07:04 PM   #11
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
That's funny that you say that about converting your wife. I converted my wife, too. When I met her, she was driving a '97 Mitsubishi Diamante. When she turned it in, she wanted a two seater. We looked at the 200x MR2s, but there was just too much engine noise (obviously since it is a mid engine car). So, we got her a 2001 BMW Z3 v6 (that was a sweet ride). Then, we had our son, so I convinced her to get an '06 Sienna Limited. It's nice, but it is the epitome of a "grocery getter."
My wife had a 99 Grand Cherokee, it had it's ups and downs. When she decided she wanted to get rid of it, I took her straight to the Toyota dealership. The rest was history til this year. A far better dealer experience at Honda put her into an 07 CRV.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:44 AM   #12
Secret Agent
Viper-2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyman767 View Post
There is always some good limited information one can ascertain from reading a 'car review'.... but from my experience you take the good with the bad. Everyone has there opinion...are they biased? Maybe? Are we biased on this forum? Maybe? I know there are several owners, no matter what vehicle they buy, believe everything they read needs to reinforce the decision they made to buy the vehicle they own. The Tacoma is not perfect and nor is the Frontier or any other vehicle...but the reason I purchased a Tacoma is for the design, quality, and reliability of Toyota's. Time will ultimately tell if the new Tacoma's will hold up to previous generations. However, I do have reservations they will.
Ya know I'm offended Flyman and that is unusual with me since you are not from Texas. I am fair in every way. I just happen to know that the Toyota is the most awesomest truck.

I heard it from everyone on this site from the day I joined so it must be right. My wife told me as well: I asked her..."Isn't this the best looking, coolest truck on the road? I know I said I wouldn't go to your brothers wedding...do you like my new skidplate?...Yes Keith...I love it...okay I'll go then. "
Old 09-24-2007, 02:21 PM   #13
flyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shedflyman767 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

LOL...maybe all those co-workers from TX and spending a lot of time there has been rubbing off on me. I love my truck...I just don't want to get caught up in the kool-aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper-2 View Post
Ya know I'm offended Flyman and that is unusual with me since you are not from Texas. I am fair in every way. I just happen to know that the Toyota is the most awesomest truck.

I heard it from everyone on this site from the day I joined so it must be right. My wife told me as well: I asked her..."Isn't this the best looking, coolest truck on the road? I know I said I wouldn't go to your brothers wedding...do you like my new skidplate?...Yes Keith...I love it...okay I'll go then. "
Old 09-25-2007, 06:14 AM   #14
Radical Town. It's a hell of a place!
nd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these partsnd is infamous around these parts

Name: Nate
nd's Tacoma Gallery
Hey Viper, i was in your neck of the woods this weekend for a wedding. I dont see how you live down there year round. I was sweatin' my ass off (although it was an outdoor wedding and i was in a full suit.) It sucked, i was actually in the party so i was standing up front and could feel the sweat dripping down my ass and everyone was watching so there was nothing i could do about it. Same thing with my face, it looked like i was crying but i was just sweating like a pig. Also, i am covered in "no-see-em" bites. They make mosquitoes look like your best friend. That part of the state is beautiful but miserable during the hot months
Old 09-25-2007, 06:26 PM   #15
Carolina Alliance: Golden State Division
GMG3 is on a distinguished road

Army:
GMG3's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Well, If they said the same thing every year, who'd buy their magazine?
Old 09-25-2007, 08:21 PM   #16
350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

350TacoZilla's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 350TacoZilla
I've owned

1979 toyota pickup (20R rocked) 5spd
1981 toyota pickup 4x4 converted into a 4 runner bed was all fiberglass
1982 toyota pickup 1L diesel 4-spd
1989 toyota 4x4 22re converted to 1L diesel/5-speed
1995 toyota tacoma 4x4 V6 extra cab/supercharged/5-speed
1996 toyota tacoma 4x4 reg cab/4cyl/5-spd
1997 toyota tacoma 4x4 reg cab/4cyl/5-spd
1999 toyota tacoma 4x4 reg cab/4cyl/auto

i suffer from WVS wandering vehicle syndrome
Old 09-25-2007, 10:14 PM   #17
Banned
danusa will become famous soon enoughdanusa will become famous soon enough
Army: Para Ranger, Inf. SF CIB
danusa's Tacoma Gallery
2nd. Gen.

I sure hope the `06 Taco is better.
I have modified it at no small expence.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:51 PM   #18

The 06' better than what? Previous generation Tacoma's? Doubtful.... I've heard of previous generations going 400-800K miles and still on the original engine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danusa View Post
I sure hope the `06 Taco is better.
I have modified it at no small expence.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:54 AM   #19
Secret Agent
Viper-2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndcouch View Post
Hey Viper, i was in your neck of the woods this weekend for a wedding. I dont see how you live down there year round. I was sweatin' my ass off (although it was an outdoor wedding and i was in a full suit.) It sucked, i was actually in the party so i was standing up front and could feel the sweat dripping down my ass and everyone was watching so there was nothing i could do about it. Same thing with my face, it looked like i was crying but i was just sweating like a pig. Also, i am covered in "no-see-em" bites. They make mosquitoes look like your best friend. That part of the state is beautiful but miserable during the hot months
Man I have nothing to say but I agree. Also this Summer was especially brutal with heat indexes in the 115 range. There were days I walked outside, turned around and went right back in.

July, August and most of September suck for that. BUT, then comes October through March and it's heaven. No snow, tourists go home for the most part and the people are awesome.

But you're right, a lot of A/C and swimming.