1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Easiest Place To Tap Dome Light Wire (2nd Gen w/ link to 3rd Gen)

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by .jake, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Nov 22, 2013 at 7:18 PM
    .jake

.jake [OP] Ex-Lion Tamer

Member:
    Discharged from the Whale’s Vagina into Mesa, AZ
    Vehicle:
    0x07E1 4x4 DCLB TRD Sport
    2" Lift on 16x8 -12 SCS Ray 10's w/ 265/75 Wildpeaks
    UPDATE: This thread is for the 2nd gen Tacoma. This is how I did it on my 3rd gen.

Adding footwell LED's and I want them to turn on with the dome light. I suppose the wire color would help, too. It's a 2014 if it matters.

Thanks.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  2. Nov 22, 2013 at 7:25 PM
    SoCalRoadie

SoCalRoadie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Burbank
    Vehicle:
    10 PreRunner TRD 2wd Engage LT
    on my 2010 i tapped at the dome light itself. however there are wires down in the driver side footwell that you can also use:

sstockss likes this.
  3. Nov 25, 2013 at 4:10 PM
    .jake

.jake [OP] Ex-Lion Tamer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the tip. I found the black connector they source from but the friggin KARR hack-job tap splices are obfuscating the easy access. I almost wish when I declined that crappy system they'd actually remove it completely. If I'd have made 10 or so splices at the fuse box Toyota would blame me if there were electrical issues. Shame they get to leave that in there.

I'll make some progress soon I hope. Thanks again.

Kuntrykid likes this.
  4. Nov 25, 2013 at 4:14 PM
    hawkeye89

hawkeye89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Minneapolis
    Vehicle:
    '14 Spruce Tacoma DCSB
    Tailgate Antitheft, Locking storage bins, sliders, caltrend seat covers, seat warmers, bike racks, tonneau cover
    I'm looking into a mod like yours, always down for extra light in the footwells. Keep us posted with the work! pics always welcome.

5. Nov 29, 2013 at 8:58 AM
    .jake

.jake [OP] Ex-Lion Tamer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Finally got into the fuse cluster a bit further. Ended up tapping the pink (dome light "door" ground) and blue (+12Vdc) wires at the black connector. I ran the positive through a secondary 1A fuse expecting it to blow before the primary fuse, just to be safe. The LED's are from AutoZone. $20 for two 12" strips in white. These have the 3M adhesive tape and can be cut to length at several intervals. For me, I cut them at two sections, 6 LED's per side IIRC. There are solder pads to extend the circuit without having to run another home run power lead.

So far I've only done the front. I may add some for the rear cab as well but the discreet mounting options aren't as apparent back there.

FootwellLEDs_zps32a27794_5ffc60103101b7880fe9284b744762e2bba3a3ff.jpg

6. Dec 6, 2013 at 11:55 AM
    hawkeye89

hawkeye89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Minneapolis
    Vehicle:
    '14 Spruce Tacoma DCSB
    Tailgate Antitheft, Locking storage bins, sliders, caltrend seat covers, seat warmers, bike racks, tonneau cover
    Wow that looks great! did you use one of those fuse tap kits? Is it possible for you to PM a short wiring diagram? I don't wanna mess this up on a new truck.

7. Dec 6, 2013 at 5:29 PM
    .jake

.jake [OP] Ex-Lion Tamer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Hey, glad you like it. I was afraid it would come out looking like something my d-bag neighbor kid would do, but it looks clean. My wife even commented "Oh wow I didn't notice the lights before". I just smiled and said "I know, right!?"

Anyway, here's how I did it. There are others that did it differently. The way I did it they even fade on and off like the dome. Slick. They do not illuminate when I set the dome to "On", only when set to "Door". In hindsight, I kind of wish I'd have put in a second circuit on a switch to toggle them on/off without popping a door... perhaps when the motivation resurfaces.

All the magic happened at the fuse panel to the lower-left of the steering wheel. I used the old-school inline-type fuse instead of the newer add-a-fuse.

Did I mention yet, that you are solely responsible for the work you do? This worked for me but I make zero guarantee it will for you. I highly recommend you use a multi-meter and double-check your work. Best of luck.

2013-12-06_152436_zps5220032c_e85f620258373f16d1c0cbaa0d2f6040a60a7e98.jpg

Schematic_zps18b95120_e7d2ba84f9daa16a4fb3206fa50b98fd2165d8bd.jpg

8. Dec 7, 2013 at 3:28 AM
    boggle

boggle Active Member

Member:
    VT
    Vehicle:
    TRD
    That looks great, I might copy this for my bed lights...

9. Dec 7, 2013 at 3:31 AM
    ckeene9

ckeene9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chesterfield, VA
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB Supercharged 4x4 TRD Sport
    See Build Thread
    Put a SPDT switch in then you can set it to "door mode", off, or on.

10. Jan 17, 2014 at 9:18 AM
    2007TacBorla4X4

2007TacBorla4X4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Jax, FL
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport 4X4 Short Bed
    Borla cat back, K&N cold air, Silver star bulbs, Nerf bars,NEW BFG, Weather teck windows, Flash light on the drivers seat, TRD off Road ft tow hook, Rear driving lights on bumper, Weather teck windows & ft bug guard, 4X4 switch glows, Windows tinted 20% sun shade
    Would it be the same wires for a 2011 TRD Sport 4dr?

Thanks.

Bob

11. Feb 5, 2014 at 12:24 PM
    Gene563

Gene563 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eugene
    Lanoka Harbor, NJ
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab, LB, TRD Sport
    TRD catback exhaust, Undercover hard tonneau, Vent visors, Husky liners, customized seat covers, front license plate bracket, rear suspension TSB, Eibach springs w 5100s@0, & General Grabber AT2 (265.70.17).
    Subscribed.

.jake,
    I'm a little confused; In your post with the fuse panel photo, you show a picture of the wires in the connector, listed as the 12 volt & door operated ground. Then you stated that you used a fuse tap. This is where you lost me as I assumed you were tapping into the wires themselves. Can you point out the fuse location or was it easily traceable?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  12. Feb 5, 2014 at 12:32 PM
    ckeene9

ckeene9 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Chesterfield, VA
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB Supercharged 4x4 TRD Sport
    See Build Thread
    Should be.

13. Feb 5, 2014 at 7:41 PM
    Toy4me

Toy4me Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    NNJ
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB TRD Sport MGM
    subd'

14. Feb 6, 2014 at 2:26 AM
    Riverdog

Riverdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    Looks great man! I did this to my truck a while ago. Kind of wishing I went with a color more like yours. I tapped into the dome light itself. It was easier than I thought. If anyone else is concerned about hacking up wires, I'd recommend tapping into the dome light. The footwell lights fade on and off with the dome light and turn with the dome light when I move the switch to the on position. No SPDT switches or extra fuses. I did replace the dome light with LEDs though.

Anyway, if you add some lights to the back, there's a bar on the underside of the front passenger seat that is begging for some lights to be attached to it. I used a few zip ties to secure the light in place. On the driver side there isn't a bar so you have to be a little creative. The fabric that wraps to the bottom of the seat (similar to the carpet) has a plastic backing. I used a knife and cut two slits in that fabric/carpet. Since it has the plastic backing I don't have to worry about the slits tearing over time. I ran zip ties through those slits and attached lights there. I hope that makes sense. I can snap a few pictures of the lights mounted if you want. Anyway, this is how it turned out:

[​IMG]

And here's the front:

[​IMG]

Sebastian, Kuntrykid, lpfe42 and 3 others like this.
  15. Feb 7, 2014 at 9:43 AM
    Gene563

Gene563 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eugene
    Lanoka Harbor, NJ
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab, LB, TRD Sport
    TRD catback exhaust, Undercover hard tonneau, Vent visors, Husky liners, customized seat covers, front license plate bracket, rear suspension TSB, Eibach springs w 5100s@0, & General Grabber AT2 (265.70.17).
    Riverdog,
    Do you have any tips or procedure for routing from the dome light?

16. Feb 7, 2014 at 10:50 PM
    Riverdog

Riverdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Collin
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    '05 Double Cab PreRunner
    Its pretty simple. Once you pop out the dome light you have access to the space between the headliner and the roof. Loosen the plastic panels between the front and rear doors (the B-pillar) and just push some wire from the dome light opening in the headliner over to the the B-pillar. Then run the wire down the B-pillar and then under the seats or wherever you want your lights.

Once you pull out the dome light you can let it hang down by the wires. Its probably easiest it use some wire taps and just connect to those wires. Use a multimeter to figure out which wires to connect to. I soldered my new wire to where the wires connect to the dome light. If you solder, make sure you grow at least one other set of hands or get someone to help you. By yourself, its pretty difficult soldering wires to something that's dangling in the air. Not impossible, but difficult. I probably over did it, but I sealed my solder points with hot glue to prevent the bare wires from touching anything.

By adding more lights, you're adding a larger electrical draw. So you'll need to replace the fuse for your dome light with one that's appropriate for the dome light plus the lights you're adding. OR, you can replace the dome light with LEDs and use LEDs in the footwells and under the seats. Since LEDs draw less power than traditional bulbs, the current fuse on your dome light will be sufficient.

17. Feb 7, 2014 at 11:07 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    The truck is switching the ground on the blue wire, that is the one you tap the ground side of your LEDs into.

You then need to send fused 12vdc to the positive side of the LEDs.
    An add-a-circuit can handle that.

18. Feb 8, 2014 at 3:59 PM
    watchdog

watchdog Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jim
    nanuet n.y.
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma
    Rims and tires , exhaust , stereo , Bhlm ,Changed carpet to black from grey. toytec ultimate lift kit. Allpro front bumper and light bar. In process of blacking out interior. Otrattw switches, black vinyl armrest mod, clazzio leather seat covers with heaters, flowmaster dual exhaust, hornblasters train horns,
    Tap into blue wire in a-pillar for your ground, wire hot lead right to battery. Will come on with dome light and dim as the dome light dose as it goes out. Put Toyota projector beams in bottom of door panel as courtesy lights.

19. Feb 8, 2014 at 7:35 PM
    TRD Toy85

TRD Toy85 Well-Known Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    loaded 2013 TRD sport
    subed for later, right now my footwell LEDs are just wired to come on when ever the ignition is in the on position, but I plan on adding more leds . Id like them to come on with the dome light

Kuntrykid likes this.
  20. Mar 27, 2014 at 11:22 PM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    Here's another method to connect to pins 2 (or 7)+, and pin 9 - for connecting floor courtesy lights. I used a piece of solid, 18AWG wire, stripped 1/2" and bent it 180 to make it 1/4". Inserted this bent end into the connector beside the wire. Sits in there very firm. The other end of this short piece of 18AWG i've soldered and heatshrunk the 22AWG stranded wires running to the LED strips. The LEDs draw very little current, so i'm okay with this connection type. Works well.

Details : This is on a 2005. Pin 9 is blue wire, pin 2 on the bottom in the pic is not connected yet, and is white, as compared to pink for later years in the example above. (there is no wire in pin 1)

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
    Schmidt6, Kuntrykid and Manfred like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top